Home Buying in Dallas>Question Details

Amy, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

USDA Loan or a VA Loan, which do you think is best?

Asked by Amy, Dallas, TX Sat May 30, 2009

We qualify for the VA direct and guarantee loan and we also qualify for a VA Loan, we want to buy a foreclosure.

Answers

5
USDA home loans are offered in rural areas as determined by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The USDA’s mission is to help lower income households obtain home loans at reasonable mortgage rates. USDA home loans offer many advantages to qualified borrowers.

USDA mortgage loans allow for purchase and no cash out refinances of primary residences. Some benefits of USDA are:

100% financing
No monthly mortgage insurance
No asset or automatic reserve requirements
Gifts allowed for closing costs
Required property improvements can be financed into the loan up to 102% of the "improved" value. (USDA will allow repairs to be completed after closing!)
Eligible USDA property types include single family homes, condominiums and manufactured housing*. USDA does have some income and property eligibility requirements.

Even though a mortgage insurance premium is not required, USDA charges a 2% funding fee to guarantee the mortgage. This fee may be financed into the loan amount.

VA home loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) to eligible veterans for the purchase, rate & term refinance or cash out refinance of a primary residence.

Benefits of VA loans include:

Common sense underwriting guidelines (with respect to credit, debt to income ratios, etc.)
Little or no down payment
Competitive mortgage rates
No monthly mortgage insurance premium
VA Home Loan Guaranty Services also provides counseling and assistance to veteran borrowers having financial difficulties or facing default.

Even though a mortgage insurance premium is not required, borrowers are charged a small funding fee for VA mortgages, which guarantees the loan. The fee may be paid in cash by the buyer or seller, or it may be financed and included in the loan amount.

A VA mortgage can be used to buy a home, build or even improve a home with energy-saving features such as solar or heating & cooling systems, water heaters, insulation, weather- stripping & caulking, storm windows & doors or other energy efficient improvements approved by VA.

A satisfactory Certificate of Eligibility from VA must be presented to be eligible for the loan program.

Visit my web site for a quick quote!
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
If you're buying in Dallas county, the USDA loan could not be used. Outside of Dallas there are many areas eligible for funding. The guaranty fee for USDA is smaller than VA's funding fee. VA's funding fee also increases if it is the second or subsequent loan they guarantee. Neither loan guaranty program has monthly mortgage insurance. Both loan programs do not require a down payment, unlike FHA which requires a 3-1/2 % minimum down payment.

USDA is similar to FHA in that officially no FICO score is required to be used to qualify for the program; however, many lenders still insist on using your credit score for qualifying. The guarantee is issued by the government to the lender, but the lender still makes the rules.

Best depends on what your needs are.
- where you want to buy
- if you're eligible for VA or not
- what your credit scores are
- how small a down payment you must have

If you drop me a line with these, I can comment on which program looks better for you.
Web Reference: http://www.Mortgages-TX.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
VA is the better choice if you have the option. VA has no monthly mortgage insurance costs.

USDA Mortgage Hub
100% USDA Rural Housing Loans
Serving all 50 states
Ph: 800-691-8826 (7 days a week)
http://www.UsdaMortgageHub.com
Amy,
The USDA loan has requirements of income amount and VA does not. USDA is only offered in certain areas and VA is not. VA has a 2 to 3% funding fee where USDA does not. Those are the major differences. I have some great mortgage vendors that handle both of these type of loans and they can go into more detail with you if you would like more information. Just email me at roxanne@thedeberryteam.com and I will be happy to supply you with their names. Thank you for allowing the realtor community to be of help.

Roxanne
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
I think it really comes down to fees and the interest rate. I know VA has a lot of fees that is why I have not used mine yet.
Best bet is to go over your lender to compare like for like.
If you need a lender I recommend Ashleigh.
Here is a link to her info.
http://www.centraltexashomerebates.com/html/find_a_lender.html
Good luck with your home purchase.
J.