Home Buying in Bear>Question Details

Buyer524, Home Buyer in Wilmington, DE

Trying to weigh the cost of commute versus bang for your buck in the suburbs

Asked by Buyer524, Wilmington, DE Mon May 16, 2011

Trying to weigh the cost of commute versus bang for your buck in the suburbs I live in Bear De & for what I would buy in Bear for an interior townhome in Smyrna I could have over 2000sqft single family home about 20 more minutes south of my job. With the cost of gas wondering if it's a good idea.

Answers

4
As James Taylor sang, about thirty years ago, "Time may be money but your money won't buy time." Linda Ronstadt also sang, "Get Closer."
Hi Buyer524
There are a few additional variables that you may wish to think about. Obviously the commute vs the size of the property is a major factor for you. Also consider the neighborhoods. Are the homes being well maintained or is there an unkempt look? Is the commute 20 minutes at the time you go to work or on Saturday afternoon without much traffic? Are the schools best for your children? Also be advised that each purchase plan needs to have an exit strategy. There is always the chance that a life changing event occurs - children, job transfer, etc. -that will make you need to move again. Which home gives you the best opportunity to enjoy the quality of life that you expect and also allows you to move forward in the future if necessary. These are questions that help you build a purchase plan and need to be discussed with your Realtor. If you don't have a Realtor, get one. There are 3 listed on this page to contact. Best of luck with your decision................................................chris
Web Reference: http://come2DE.com
Dear Homebuyer 524: With home prices and interest as low as they are now, the property you could get would far outweight the extra money you are paying for gas right now. Prices of homes and interest are only going to go up, gas is a fluctuating thing so it basically comes down to the 20 minute drive and only you can make that decision.
You may want to just take a look and see what is available around Smyrna, please call me if there is anything you would like to see or with any general questions.
Good Luck in your decision

BJ Corey
302-382-9851/cell
302-677-1342/direct office
That is a great question! You have to decide what is more important to you. Some buyers may be willing to give up the extra space for less time in the car and more time with their family. Others may decide that the lifestyle that comes with a big yard and extra space is worth the extra time in the car. I would be more than happy to to help you find you a great home. Give me a call.
Ann T Clark
Coldwell Banker Preferred
302-234-1888 Office
610-420-7276 Cell