Home Buying in Lexington>Question Details

nyc_to_boston, Home Buyer in 10029

Trying to decide between moving to Lexington or Needham - any suggestions? Is there a major difference in terms of commuting to Boston/Cambridge?

Asked by nyc_to_boston, 10029 Sun Jul 15, 2012

They seem pretty similar in terms of good schools, housing inventory, etc. Seems like commute might be a deciding factor. I assume I'll be commuting to either Boston or Cambridge.

Answers

6
nyc to boston,

Id love the opportunity to show you both, I live in Needham and develop here as well. I just sold a great valued home in Lexington that the owner is tearing down for new construction. My office is in Newton, where I just completed a newly constructed home. I am also a certified appraiser, so can bring much more to the table to help guide you.

Louis
Definitely visit both so you can get a better feel for each one. I would also recommend, if you are looking to purchase, that you get your own buyers' agent (this is at no cost to you) to assist you in your search, viewing of properties and purchase. Good Luck
Wen
info@wenrealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com
This has been very helpful, thank you. I think in the end we'll just need to visit both towns and see where can find a property that best suits our needs.
I'm from Lexington, so perhaps I'm a little partial to this area, but the real issue is: to where are you going to be commuting? Although geographically Boston and Cambridge are just a river apart, the commutes are very different. If you really don't know where you will be working, Lexington is the more centrally located community. Because of it's position at the junction of Rt 95 and Rt 2,it is a good commuting location for Cambridge or Boston, or - should you change jobs at some point in the future - your commute to areas north and west of Boston.

Needham has a train, which is frequently popular with people used to a NYC commute, but the train works best if you can walk to work from either North or South Station.

You best bet is to visit both communities and compare. You will get more house for your money in Needham but both are great towns.

Hope this helped!
Both are great communities, Needham is closer to Boston, Lexington is closer to Cambridge.

Depends on what is available and where you are going to spend your free time, from Needham - Boston, Natick Mall, Newton Chestnut Hill, Wellesley, Legacy Place, Cape, Skiing, or the Burlington Mall or Cambridge from Lexington.
In average the distances from the 2 towns are similar also in proximity to Boston/Cambridge. You may find the inventory levels slightly different in different price ranges. I'd look into both towns and make decision based on what is available and what I want & need, since the time difference in getting between the towns will not be that great .

Of course, the absolute correct answer will depend on specific addresses of the prospective properties as to some people even the distance within the same town can make a difference (for example, if they are emergency doctors and must be withing 10-15 min drive of a hospital).