Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

JJohnson, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Trulia shows high crime all over the Houston Metro area. Is it that bad?

Asked by JJohnson, Chicago, IL Sat Sep 22, 2012

It seems like no matter what area that I search when I click on the crime tab there are lots of reports for the last 30 days. Why is it so bad? What is being done about it?

Answers

9
Joe Stone - Realtor (R)’s answer
I hope you will find this BLOG that I wrote on this exact topic helpful.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/joe_stone/2012/09/crime_stats_wha…

Joe Stone - Realtor®
Exclusive Homes Realty
682-777-0836
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
I lived in Houston for 21 years and never got broken into until I was at a friend's house in memorial! Which is supposed to be the least crime-ridden area. I would say just check out the area before you move there. Go at night and see how you feel. Go with your gut. There are some awesome places to live in H-town.

Jen
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for your question and I do understand your concern. There are pockets of high crime areas as in other major cities but there are also low crime areas as well. Gated communities help stem the crime rate even in the pockets of high crime areas. Some people move to neighboring cities such as Pearland, Sugarland, Spring, etc., to avoid the high crime areas but still within reasonable drive time to Houston.

You want someone who is experienced in the area to work with you. I have been a licensed Realtor since 1985 and been working in the area continually. I will be more than happy to work with you. I can be reached at 281-997-0606
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
One way to significantly reduce the risk of a break in is with a home security system. As a home security specialist I have knowledge of this firsthand. If you have any questions or are interested in a free home security review I would be glad to help.

Martin Davis
Sales
ADT Fire and Security
8322537910
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 30, 2012
Crime is sometimes synonymous with big cities, but is less saturated as you move into the suburbs. The areas you're looking at are generally good ones.

Our Marketing Director lives in Spring (Spring covers a lot of area, but she lives close to The Woodlands, east of I-45) and loves it - feels very safe. Great area with easy access to the amenities of The Woodlands (lots of great restaurants, shopping, and entertainment - including an outdoor venue that brings in big concerts). Spring (west of I-45) and Champions has a lot of older areas (with areas of higher crime rates), whereas Spring (east of I-45) has more new development. The Woodlands and Katy are also good choices - both great areas, but with a different feel. You might also consider looking in Cinco Ranch if you're interested in being around Katy.

We do business across the city and have happy clients and friends in many different areas. Houston is a GREAT place to be right now. I also agree with Carolyn - a visit at different days and times will give you a better feel for the area.

The Loken Group
(832) 387-8248
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 22, 2012
I'm unsure if Houston is better atmosphere when considering crime or comparing crime to another city. I live here in the Inner Loop and there are good areas as well as bad, although for the most part our city is excellent place to reside. Here recently, there have been many break-ins in the Upper Kirby & Heights areas which may have citizens a bit worried, but those areas are good as well. I live in Bellaire/West U and love it. And yes, I reside at an apartment community. One of my best friends resides in Spring and loves it. Katy and the Woodlands are quickly expanding and are are phenomenal areas as well. Houston, like other big cities, has it's great areas, bad area and evreything in between.

Joe Cano - Realtor/Locator
(281) 785-5132
Web Reference: http://joelocator.com
You cant trust Trulia in a lot of reports. The neighborhoods have deputy sheriffs and constables on contract. My neighborhood has 24/7 coverage, with swift response time. The criminals know these neighborhoods. The areas in which you were looking are quite safe. You are probably seeing apartment complexes. If a criminal lives in an apartment complex, their address will sometimes show up as the scene of the crime. Houston in general is a whole lot safer than Chicago....we are allowed to "carry"........
350-400K for single family

I looked in Champions, Woodlands, Katy and Spring. The crime displayed bad returns in the Champions and Spring area. The Woodlands had lots of red too on Trulia crime maps. Katy was bad. I thought these were good areas?
If you like these areas but want to go a little further north, try Cypress. You can really get the biggest bang for your buck and the schools are great. Check out mine and my collegues websites and contact the person you feel would best represent you as a Buyer's Agent.
Flag Sat Sep 22, 2012
What price range are you looking at? What type of property are you looking for? Every big city has it's "hot spots" but if you are looking for dirt cheap properties in old neighborhoods that are declining, that may be the problem....

Realtors are not allowed to specifically give opinions on neighborhoods because of our rules against steering. But you are doing the right thing looking online and doing your homework.

Try Crimespot.com, Houston police dept, and Harris county sheriffs dept for more information.

I have always suggested to my buyers to drive thru the neighborhood they are considering at different times of the week and times of day. Seeing how folks take care of their yards on a Saturday, or how rowdy an area is on a Friday night, can really give you some insight that no website will.