Home Buying in Massachusetts>Question Details

Desertrat, Both Buyer and Seller in Salt Lake City, UT

Towns in Massachusetts for a young family.

Asked by Desertrat, Salt Lake City, UT Thu Aug 12, 2010

We're considering a move from Salt Lake City to Massachusetts. My work would be based in Marlborough. Any reccomendations? Looking for good schools, younger families (kids are 8 and 3), parks/trails and outdoor activities. We're looking to rent or buy (3 year work committment). Could spend $400k to $550k. Prefer to live within 30 min commute to Marlborough, but would consider something a little longer if the town had the right feel. Any good ideas?

Hi Desertrat,

I want to echo what both Deborah and Matt have said in terms of the towns surrounding Marlborough!! I live in Northborough with my husband and two children...slightly older than yours. We enjoy an endless list of recreational activities, both indoors and out, year round! Any of the towns discussed here will satisfy all of your needs in your comfortable price range! While you have a plethora of choices, I would also add Sudbury, Hopkinton and Upton to your list.

To assist you in conducting your own research, I invite you to visit any or all of the following websites. If you prefer, I can send you a relocation package which consists of factual as well as insightful information about the area!

And finally, I would absolutely recommend you work with a real estate agent who specializes in Relocation. These agents are specially trained and are experts at streamlining the home search process. They will show you inventory that BEST MATCHES YOUR NEEDS! In essence, a Relocation Specialist knows how to maximize your time when you are contemplating your move!

Best of luck!

Judy Boyle
RE/MAX Signature Properties
Marlborough, MA

http://www.massstats.com (4 s's total)
I relocated to Westport, MA 15 years ago and would not want to live anywhere else. School system is great - many extra programs for pre schoo thru high school. Town sports programs as well as school extra carriculat activities are great. Farmlands, Horse Neck Beach- great community and easy access to all highways. Close enough to the cape for day trips. I would not think to live anywhere else. Homes are in your price range and propeorties have land for children to play and explore.
Keep in mind that opinions are often subjective and what may be good for one is not necessarily the case for another--consider doing some homework of your own first--real estate professionals are prohibited from “steering”—enticing a buyer to purchase, or not, in specific neighborhoods; so, you should check out demographics on your own to assure your comfort level can be reached.
Deborah has some nice options listed. What works for you will depend on what your used to, and what you expect, both in terms of house size, and town 'feel'. For example, 450 in Southborough or Natick is the price point for nice and/or expanded split-level home - about 1800-2000 sq feet. But the towns are very different. Southborough is small and quiet (9000 people), where Natick is much larger (32,000 or so) and has a much more "city" like feel, at least to me. Shrewsbury is the same size as Natick, but as it it is further out from Boston it's more price friendly, you'll be in the reach of neighborhood younger colonials at your price point, if that is what you feel you need for space (2000-2500+).

I would ask a financial planner about a three year stay: Most of the information out there would suggest renting, as opposed to owning, would make more sense for a short-time frame like that. A typical mortgage works against you early in the loan.

Best of luck!
Based on where you will be working, you have quite a few towns to select in your price and commute range. The towns that I would recommend are Sudbury, Natick, Framingham, Southborough, Northborough, Westborough, Shrewsbury, and Grafton.
I highly recommend that you come to the area for a buying trip and take the opportunity to familiarize yourself with the towns that I mentioned above. As a Realtor that specializes in reocation, it would be my pleasure to spend several days showing you the areas and giving you information about the towns.

Below is all my contact information, please contact me so that I can give you a more thorough answer to your questions and get a better understanding of the type of home you are looking for and when you plan to move.

Deborah Feldman
Hammond Residential
303 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01701
Office Phone: 508-620-2222 X347
Cell Phone: 508-277-3596
Fax: 508-879-1671
Website: http://deborahfeldman.myhammondagent.com/
Email: dfeldman@hammondre.com