swatic19, Home Buyer in Frisco, TX

Townhomes vs Single Family Homes

Asked by swatic19, Frisco, TX Sun Nov 25, 2012

I have been looking at Townhomes vs Single Family homes to purchase in the Plano-Frisco-Allen area. The townhomes that I am looking for are in $200-$250K range and SFH are mostly in the $300-$350 range (which we can afford). We are not sure how long we will be in the DFW area. For now, we are looking for purchasing a home where we can stay and be comfortable for the short term (3-5 years) and then if we decide to stay, then look at buying a bigger home after either selling the home we buy or give it for rent. Here are my questions.
1. Is it easier to rent a townhome in the Plano-Frisco-Allen area than a SFH ?
2. Do Townhomes appreciate in value at all minus expenses?
3. Do School districts matter when buying a Townhome ? I believe families with children will look for a single family home rather than a townhome esp. in DFW area. Is my assumption correct ?

Answers

14
Hi Swatic-

Based on my experience selling both town homes and SFH, I have seen the SFH retain more value upon resale, sell in a shorter time frame and SFH are in more demand than townhomes.

With rates so low and are expected to remain historically low for some time, buyers are taking this opportunity to purchase SFH. I would expect to see this continue for the time period you are looking to possibly resale.

Several of my townhome sellers have not been able to re-sell their dwelling for what they had hoped for since there is not a demand for townhomes. They also average a lot longer on the market to sell and this can be very frustrating.

Based on my professional opinion, I would guide you to purchase a SFH rather than a townhome, especially if you are not sure how long your tenure in this area will last.

As a property manager, my SFH homes rent much faster than my town homes, even if the townhomes are completely updated (wood, granite, etc.)

School districts do play a big role when leasing a home. I have many clients that ask for a specific school district and many seeking a specific school.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to email me if you have further questions or if I can assist you in this process. Please visit my website to learn more about me as a Realtor.

Sherry Renfroe
Ebby Halliday Realtors
(214) 215-4145
sherryrenfroe@ebby.com
http://www.sherryrenfroe.com
Mobile Site: m.sherryrenfroe.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
Given the information above, I would recommend purchasing a single family home. In my experience, I find that renters would prefer to rent a home over a townhome whenever possible. While both townhomes and single family homes will appreciate, a single family home will usually appreciate at a faster rate. Additionally, you may prefer a home that is located in an area that does not have a home owner association...you will likely not have that option in a multi-family dweling. Regardless of buying a house or townhome, school districts are usually very important to families moving to the area. Depending on the size of the family, you might find families willing to move to a townhome.

Above all of these items, you may also know that staying in a home (regardless of the type of home) for 3-5 years is usually sufficient to begin building some equity. Of course, the longer you remain the owner of a property the more equity that you will have.

If you would like to see a list of potential properties available (townhomes and/or single family homes), please let me know. I would be happy to send you some examples of homes availalble that meet your needs.

Have a great day!
Melissa

Melissa Hailey - North Texas Top Team, Realtors
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com

http://www.linkedin.com/in/melissahaileyrealtor
http://twitter.com/#!/melissahailey
http://activerain.com/blogs/mlshailey
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
SWATIC

did you buy your home Town home !!

Call me if you need help

sincerely
John Hamidi
3600 preston Rd ste 100
Plano TX 75093
http://www.johnhamidi.kwrealty.com
Email: johnhamidi@gmail.com
Bus: 469-252-4661
Dear Swatic 19

answer to your questions

1- there are limited town homes in the area special Frisco ,Allen
there are more in plano

2- no town homes do not appreciate as much as home does

3- School district are same for home - town home or apartment
your kids goes to school which you were you live

if you need more advise please contact me at 469-252-4661

or my website of http://www.johnhamidi.kwrealty.com

I will be happy to help you out

Truly
John
Hello Swatic,..

Good afternoon!
My name is Peter Valletutti.
I'm a realtor & mortgage consultant 25+ years here in N. Texas.

Townhomes usually have HOA dues. Resale can be more differcult for townhomes.
You can find SFH subdivisions that have no HOAs But, probably better area with one.
Families, prefer a SFHs over townhomes and appreciation is better with SFHs.
Schools districts & particular schools within districts, are very important to most families.
Townhomes do appreciate, but at a slower pace.

My forte',.. negotiating price & smooth & successful closings.
I know construction, & valuate property as well as an appraiser or better.

We'll satisfy your real estate search in your best interest & future equity capture
To your best,
Peter J. Valletutti
972-599-5900
SuttonPlaceFinancial@gmail.com
http://petevalletutti.wix.com/sutton-place-llc
I would recommend SFH vs Townhome based on what you have stated.
School districts almost always matter, either way.
We really need to sit down and discuss your plans further to advise you better.
There are a couple of major factors I can say here though.
#1...there really aren't many townhome communities to choose from in Frisco, Plano, Allen.
#2...normally TH and condo don't work well for rentals....there are exceptions, especially in these areas, where low cost housing are in high demand.

Just let us know if you would like to discuss further.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Thanks everyone for your responses. At this point, it looks like, in my current condition, I would be better served buying a SFH . Thank you for all your valuable inputs
When a family search includes a Towhome there are certain things to look for regards to future resale or lease.

Happy to represent you in the search.

Contact my office today where I can show you many amazing homes work with your family specifications.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
News Personality On Air Radio Show
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Swatic,

It all depends on your lifestyle. However, having said that, most people prefer SFH than townhomes, for sale or for rent. Also from my past experience SFH retains their value more than townhomes.

I would recommend moving into an area with good schools since most people who are moving to Plano-Frisco-Allen area are families with kids and they will look for good schools.

I hope that helps. If you are not currently working with a realtor then I'd be happy to assist you.

Take care,

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012

Thanks for your questions:) The process to lease a home in the Plano Frisco Allen area is basically the same process regardless of whether it is a SFH or townhouse/condo. As far as property appreciation, it is best to evaluate your location and other factor before making an assessment as to the appreciation potential. Plano, Frisco and Allen all boast great school districts. Also school districts are a lot of the time very important to the families looking to buy either SFHs or Townhomes. There are great family oriented townhome communities as well as SFH neighborhoods in all three cities. I'm sure you will find the perfect fit for your family. Are you working with a Realtor? We can help facilitate the process at no cost to you on the buying side. I would be happy and honored to assist you in your search. Have a great day!

LaDonna Hooker, REALTOR
972-464-6659
Great questions. Owning a townhome is truly a lifestyle choice. Generally speaking the HOA will care for the outside of your home, carry the insurance (covers exterior envelope) and care for the grounds. It's convenient and great for busy people who want to be able to come and go without having to worry about yard and exterior up keep. It is indeed a great lifestyle choice, one that I’ve made for me and my family. Prices do appreciate; however, in the past the overall DFW market has increased by 2-3% a year, steady but slow, rather than the exponential growth of FL, NV and CA. Townhome appreciation may trail a bit, but that would have to be assessed for on a case by case basis. Speaking from experience, it will be easier to sell a single family home than a townhome because the average Texas homebuyer prefers a SFH-hence more buyers. School districts tend to rule all home purchases in Plano and Collin Co. regardless of whether one is buying a SFH or TH. You are correct in your assumption that families would prefer living in a SFH; however, we are seeing a trend where more families are moving into townhomes because of the lifestyle choice this type of living offers, the affordability etc. especially if located within exemplary schools boundaries.
If you are going to be in Texas for 3-5 years before truly committing to the area, I’d suggest buying a single family home, you can get a lot for your money in your price range (compared to other top 10 cities in the nation). If you decide to leave it will be easier to sell. If you decide to stay keeping it as a rental it will be easier to rent than a TH. We are after all in Texas where the preferred lifestyle choice is a single family home. I’d love to assist you and your family in your home search. Please call if you have additional questions. Thanks, Susanne Anson, Ebby Halliday Realtors-Coit. 972.697.3106.
Your assessment is correct. In the short term single family homes have a tendency to hold their value or will increase over time. Some families may desire a townhouse because of the maintenance rather than have to deal with yard work. Although, that can be minimized in a a zero lot line single family home. The inventory of single family homes have continued to decline month over month this year so eventually this will.have an effect on home prices. This should be a plus in considering a single family home. School districs do matter to families with children. If you would like to speak to me about this or any subject concerning real estate in Collin County, please call me at 214-676-8040. I have been serving thiis area for the past 37 years. Thank you for allowing the realtor community to assist you.

Roxanne
Rentals are good in townhouses, especially in a good school district. Look at the lifestyle that you want now. What fits best for you now. I am working with several buyers looking to purchase a townhouse. Appreciation is another consideration. Contact me and we will look at the stats to help you understand the market trends.

Tricia
972 896-5986
tricia@triciadelgado.com
These are great questions. A SFH is going to have better resale as well be easier to lease when you are ready to make the move to a larger home. Schools are important no matter which you purchase. I would be happy to help you with your search, I specialize in the areas you are looking.

Amanda Mack
Amanda@Macksells.com
Keller Williams
(325)660-9395
Web Reference: http://www.macksells.com