Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

Pat, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

Townhomes / condo or single family home

Asked by Pat, Houston, TX Sun Dec 16, 2012

Hi...I'm looking to buy a condo/townhome/single family home that would be in galleria/mid-town or even memorial area. My basic must have requirements are 3 bedrooms (1 master, 1 guest, 1 study) and atleast a small yard for bbq.

Can you give me guidance on neighborhoods and price range to expect.

Answers

12
Mark McNitt’s answer
Pat,

The inner loop and Memorial areas are some of the more expensive areas of town. However, not all are so expensive that you cannot purchase. Some area feature older town homes such as the Galleria area, but can be updated and offer a great location!

I know of older 2-3 bedroom town homes that can start in the $150,000 range. The 3 bedroom factor is a little tougher as more are 2 bedroom unless you start going up in price, say above $200,000. If you would like newer, then expect to be in the $300,000 range or above.

The yard factor is also very tough as many of these townhomes are on former single family lots. The builders will place 2 or even 3 town homes on the lot and each homes footprint takes up much of the space for a yard. There is sometimes only 3-5ft of space between the wall and the fence. Finding that "yard" is possible, but expect to pay more for that luxury. A suggestion might be to find one near a park.

Tons of areas.....too many to point out here, but think about you work location, things you like to do and then we can assist with looking at availability and price. As a reminder, always have your financing lined up so you can move quickly on a property we find. We can set up a private web portal as well to assist you with new listings and keeping your selections organized. Let us know if we can help.

Mark McNitt
m 832-567-4357
Bernstein Realty, Inc.
Good morning Pat,

As you can see, there is a huge range of pricing within the areas that you have defined. Anywhere from "starter" to luxury homes/townhomes. You will really have to choose a Realtor® and let them help you to refine your search. I am confident that you will be able to find a perfect match for you. Of course I would be more than happy to work with you.

Arnold Richie, Realtor®
Terry Burnaman Realtors
http://www.yournewhomehouston.com
arnold@yournewhomehouston.com
713-396-2017
Hello Pat, I would like to share information that will help guide through the minefield especially when it comes to townhome and Condos. I am sure you have received some very thorough answers. Please alllow me to be the set of ears you need to make this important decission. You can reach me anytime 832-287-4778 gary@garyplee.com Thank you
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Good Afternoon,

I have a town house that meets your criteria; located at Dairy Ashford & Memorial. This home actually has 3 outside areas: backyard, lounge area, and front patio (gated from the outside).

Please let me know if you would like any more information about town houses/condos in this area.

Nadeem

nadeem@qrealty.biz
281-795-0715
Nadeem...can you please email me link to this property?

patderrynh@gmail.com
Flag Tue Dec 18, 2012
Hi Pat, I would like to know your price range before I begin a search for you, unless of course you have already solicited a Realtor to help you, in which case, let me know. Have you been pre-approved? Please contact me for further information at gail.levin@kw.com
Pat,

You will see a huge range of prices, from $150K to $800K for a 3-bedroom home with a small yard or patio in this area. Prices will vary depending upon the school district and specific elementary school the house is zoned to, the subdivision, the size of the yard, or in the case of a a townhome/condo, the size of the patio, whether or not there's a garage, whether the community is gated, and how updated the home is.

A better way to search might be to get with a Realtor and tell him or her your preferences for the home and what kind of down payment and monthly payment you are comfortable with, and then they can suggest some communities where you might look.

Let me know if you would like some help.

Lisa
281-468-8106
Hello Pat,

You should be able to find something to your liking in the areas you have listed, but a lot will depend on your budget and the specifications you have listed that will tie in with that. The distinction will be when you decide if you want to go with a Condominium or Townhome or a Single Family Home.

For example, if you locate your search to the Galleria/Midtown area you get Townhouses/Condos starting at around $160,000 for an approximately 1400 square feet home. If you get into a high-rise, the range begins closer to $300,000, or a handful around $250,000. If you are looking at the Memorial area, the starting range is closer to $350,000.

When you look at high rise condominiums you could get a balcony for the barbeque area. Low-rise townhomes/condominiums would have a really small area for the outdoor cooking on the lower level.

When are you plan to move? When you are ready, I can meet with you and explain what price ranges different areas command.

Persis
persis.realtor@gmail.com
713-294-7747
This is my area of expertise, please feel free to call or text me 713-907-7276
Be prepared to spend around 300k for a good property, but one with all the bells and whistles will be more like 450k. All depends on location and the builder. And what all you want included in the home.

There are some great free standing townhomes in The Heights, Memorial, and Mid-town if you dont want to be bogged down with monthly fees.

Check out my and my collegues websites and send me an e-mail. I am sure we can find something to suit you.
carolyn...I would be interested to know more about the free standing home you mention. what's the contact for you or your colleague?
Flag Sun Dec 30, 2012
The price range you can expect for what you are looking for in those areas will definetly be upwards if 300k. Once you decide what price range you would like to stay within that will help determine what neighborhoods to look in. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. V
Hi Pat--

I recently leased townhome & condos in the area of interest priced $2,500-$3,500 a month. These units are usually new construction in older neighborhoods located close to downtown or medical facilities.

If you're prepared to spend $200,000 or more you can have brand-new home choices along the Westpark Toll Road in master planned communities. This amount can also locate you just inside Highway 6 on the west side of Houston.

Many choices but what and where will save you time and expense if you need to locate near employment or family and friends.

Glad to help when you can be more specific.

Brenda Peavy, Broker
PV Properties
281-497-1290
brenda@pv-properties.com
Hi Pat, there are many options out there depending on price range and needs in a home. You can expect any where from mid $300's and up on a nice home. What is your budget?