Home Buying in Atlanta>Question Details

Where2, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Torn Between: an in-town lifestyle or suburban schools and $/sq ft - what's the right place in Atlanta for us?

Asked by Where2, Atlanta, GA Mon Jun 27, 2011

We're starting to feel like we're looking for 2 homes - I work at Tech and have two kids that will soon be school age. We've lived in DC and Boston and love walkable communities where friendly neighbors walk their dogs, kids play in yards/sidewalks, & coffee shops, restaurants, and a local beer aren't far away. So we're looking (only online so far) in Marietta/Sandy Springs AND Decatur/Grant Park. Our budget is mid-300s and we'd love a 3/4 BRs single family. Thanks for sharing

Answers

3
I lived in DC for 10 years and moved here to Marietta 3 years ago. My husband works right at the I-75 285 intersection across from Cumberland Mall. He easily spends 2 hours in traffic each day. Atlanta has absolutely NO public transportation when compared to DC. The traffic here is the worst I have ever seen in any city. I have lived on the Hill, Silver Spring, Annapolis, Bowie & Chesapeake Beach now Marietta. If I was going to go back in time, I would choose a house without a large yard that I have to maintain, close to my husbands work (Ideally close enough to bike ride), and buy the smallest house we could live in that is high quality & updated. I would also choose Decatur/Grant Park/ Piedmont Park any day over Marietta/Sandy Springs. I know several other people who moved here from the Hill and live on Grant Park. I would also take a look at the new Beltline that they have been building. Now THAT is very DC like. Spend your time LIVING not taking care of some oversized broken down home in the suburbs!

Also, if I was going to pic a realtor for that area, I would easily choose Lee Taylor w/Keller Williams. He KNOWS InTown Atlanta!
Web Reference: http://www.beltline.org/
Hi!
I can certainly understand your dilemma. They both have their benefits. I might have a solution for you. It will enable to you have a short commute plus be in an intown community without the Virginia Highlands price tag. The area around Lakeside High School is wonderful. This area has lots of CDC, Emory and Tech employees living here. We have a small shopping area with neighborhood restaurants. There are pools with swim teams close by and they are very affordable. This area has a very strong sense of community and kids move back to raise their own kids. If you are interested in this type of area, give me a call.
Marshall Berch 404-281-9224
Hello-Have you considered the Virginia Highland area?