Home Buying in Los Gatos>Question Details

John, Home Buyer in Los Gatos, CA

Too good to be true in Los Gatos ?

Asked by John, Los Gatos, CA Sun Feb 27, 2011

What do you think of 46 Pleasant St, Los Gatos CA ? The house seems really old, but is in the LG school zone.
In general, is it possible to find a 3-bedroom, 1plus-2 baths single-family house in Los Gatos, with Los Gatos schools (especially high school) with budget < 850K ?
I am also looking at Almaden (Leland and Bret Harte zone), but the distance (and potential commute) really concerns me. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Answers

14
Hi John,
The home on 46 Pleasant St is a 2 bedroom home and it appears to need a lot of work, the agent points out that it is priced at lot value, plus since it is an old home ( built in the 1920's ) you may be limited in what you can do with the home ( he did say the was a verbal OK to build new, but I don't trust verbal at all ). This home does NOT seem right for you and your budget.
There are about 3 properties that fit your criteria in Los Gatos that have LG schools.
As far as Almaden there are more homes available in your price range and schools, but as you say the commute can be a problem.
There are potential areas that have good schools and give you more choices, such as cambrian, parts of Saratoga/campbell.
I suggest you sit down with a Realtor and go over your requirements, set up your searchs, and go from there.
If you don't have a Realtor, please call or email me I would be happy to assist you.

At your Service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
DRE# 01397256
Hi John

Right the home on Pleassant street while being close to the High School and down town
Los Gatos, has a few oak trees. It is not common to find a home for $850k in Los Gatos,
The choices are limited.

Almaden while far many more options in the number of homes.
Prudent to consider homes around Los Gatos in the Union school district or
Campbell district with Capri elementary etc.

Cupertino will be tough at the $850k level as homes are going for over list with multiple
Offers.

Let me know if I can help.

http://www.ruthandperry.com

Perry
Hi Tom,

I am a home owner in Los Gatos and in the LG school district. It really will be difficult to find a home in your price point, but sometimes you get lucky. There is a home just recently listed near me at $1,000,000 and is not a tear-down, has a new kitchen and in an EXCELLENT area. Also some there a handful of homes in your price point on the Los Gatos/Cambell border with excellent schools. A friend of mine just bought a home there about 5 months ago for $825,000. Very charming and totally liveable, they moved right in. I have lived in Los Gatos for over 12 years and my kids have attended many public elementary schools and some private. (Daves Avenue, Blossom Hill, VanMeter, Hillbrook (private) and Sacred Heart (Catholic school in Saratoga)
I have worked with the same very knowledgeable agents for all my sales and they are great, based in Los Gatos. Let me know if I can answer any questions about the area, schools, etc.
angela agah (angela4spa@yahoo.com)
Hello again John,
From your recent comments it seems you are hoping to find your home in the Santa Clara Valley i.e. Palo Alto to S San Jose. You have also done some of the research as regards to Schools. As many replies have indicated you are now at the point where you need help finding properties matching them. If you choose to work without help until you have narrowed the search any further, I guarantee you will be doing so without having considered all of the variables relevant to your final decision.
Any competent Realtor based in this valley is fully capable of helping you isolate those specific areas which match your paremeter (and make sure you are considering all relevant parameters, not just schools).
Rather than try to do our (Full Time) job in your spare time, I strongly recommend you interview maybe 3 Realtors and select one to help with the rest of your search.
Many of you confirmed my feeling about this house. Thank you all for your input.

I am not shooting for LG schools in particular, just a place with schools with APIs > 850 at all levels, and a house+lot of decent size, can be old, but improvable/extendable. I know the LG area is expensive, but it's always worth a try.

I am only interested in single-family houses at this point.
As for commuting, in general, I expect to commute to the area between Palo Alto and SJ.

I know it's good to have an agent, but since I haven't decided on a particular area, I don't know if I should commit to one.
I've looked at some border areas that seem fit my criteria, such as Santa Clara with Cupertino schools, or Rancho Rinconada. Do you have any similar suggestion (Allyson suggested Cambrian ?)
John
The property at 46 Pleasant in Los Gatos has been on the market for almost one year it needs a lot of work.
It is considered a tear down and is priced for the land value. It does have a large 7,399 sq lot in a prime close to down town location. There are currently 6 homes available in Los Gatos that fit your budget, have LG schools and the beds/baths that you are looking for.
The Almaden area might be a consideration only when you have exahausted your Los Gatos search. These are two very different communities with LG being highly preferred.
We have years of actual experience in both these areas and are always happy to help.
Alan, Michele & Ben Barbic
Coldwell Banker - Saratoga
408-356-1227
theBarbics@gmail.com
A Family of Real Estate Professionals
DRE# 00989202, 01214145, 01358730
You need to work with a buyers agent who can address all your concerns assist you making the right decision

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
John -

It's certainly possible to get something in Los Gatos (with LG schools) but most likely it would be a townhouse. Any single family homes will be in a less desirable location e.g. backing up to Hwy 17 and/or on a small lot and/or in poorer condition (for example there's currently a 3bed/2bath listed at $875K that has the highway soundwall in the back yard).

You may already know but there are a small number of San Jose addresses that have LG schools (just like there are LG addresses with non-LG schools) so if access to the schools is your primary driver you may want to consider that option as you may find prices are more reasonable. Feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Hope this helps,

Stephen
Intero Los Gatos
Web Reference: http://FineHomeMoves.com
John, it appears that commute is a concern. If the high school score is your main concern, and you are open to commute you may also want to consider the Los Gatos Mountains. But that lifestyle and commute is very different than living in the flats.

I suggest that you prioritize your reason for purchasing.
If your #1 reason is school district, then decide what is the most important criteria for the school.
You may have to make some concessions in the home.
If your needs are for a specific size home and you can make concessions on the API in school you will have more options.
A third option is private school.
Weight out the cost of all three and what you can budget for and the community which fits your lifestyle.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
Honestly, no unless you would consider a townhome. There are some really nice ones in Los Gatos with the LG schools.
This house is old but charming - but only a few MLS pictures. After looking at it on Google street view, I like how it's set far back from the street. Nice large lot. It appears to have 'some' updating especially in the kitchen. If you decide to pursue this property, make sure you perform due diligence. Check city records to see what permits have been pulled over the years. This home was in contract at a higher price but the buyers backed out. It would be prudent to find out why. Additionally, a thorough home inspection by your trusted inspector is worth every penny. Make sure you have contingencies in place in writing with your offer along with a request for a tenant estoppel certificate.
Hello John, The answer to your specific question is no. You will probably not get a suitable house in Los Gatos for $850k.
However, as Pat and Allyson mention. you can certainly get a very nice house for this amount in several different communities where the schools and neibourhoods and commute are excellent.
Alternatively, if Log Gatos is your strong 1st choice why not consider a Town House. For the same money you will get a newer and bigger home.
You might also consider meeting with a local Realtor to help with your search.
You can always get help on-line for any question you have. What you cannot get are answers to questions that you do not know you should be asking.
I can see it was in escrow and fell out. I have not seen this property but assume by the remarks it needs work. Do you want to buy a home you need to work on?

Almaden is within your budget. Leland is great. If you like a family feeling it is a great area. Both of my kids graduated from Leland. Where are you commuting to?

Pat Chadwell
Realty World - Residential Specialists
http://www.patchadwell.com
John,

If you are not working with a professional Realtor your best bet is to hook up with someone with experience who will absolutely have your best interests at heart and will be able to provide solid answers to your valuation questions. I have a few amazing colleagues who service Los Gatos so if you would like any recommendations please let me know as i would be happy to help.

I hope this information is helpful and if you have any questions, or if I can be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com