Home Buying in Avon>Question Details

ashitat, Home Buyer in Avon, CT

Toll brothers construction quality

Asked by ashitat, Avon, CT Sun Jan 19, 2014

How is the construction quality of the local toll brothers

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Avon

Answers

3
If you are working with a buyer's agent (highly recommended), that agent can probably show you some local Toll Brothers' community homes. I know Toll Brothers built Walden Woods in Windsor, CT and Regency @Sinnott Farms in Bloomfield, CT. Toll Brothers is known for their quality construction and this quality is evident in Walden Woods and Sinnott Farms, but both of these subdivisions are still markedly smaller homes than what Toll Brothers is building in Weatherstone of Avon. Nevertheless, Toll Brothers is especially known for their luxury homes. This national building firm still uses many local contractors and these contractors probably change from one subdivision to the next over time. This is a good reason to have new home construction home inspections done on the home you are building, as a good home inspector will be able to identify any issues in the basic systems of the house before they are covered with additional building materials. Good luck, and feel free to call me if I can be of any further assistance....860-688-1400 Lisa Orme, Broker @ The Master's Key Realty, Windsor, CT
Hi Ashitat,

I'll agree with Alysse that you should have your interests protected by having your own Buyer's Agent, but it doesn't have to be an Exclusive Buyers Agent in my opinion. Your questing is plain and simply: What's the quality of the builder?

I don't know anyone who can answer that question with a broad brush other than the principles (buyers) of a transaction in the neighborhood you have interest in. Problem is that things change per location and even as a neighborhood gets built out. Just because someone had a great home built doesn't mean you can let your guard down and have blind faith that you'll get the same.

I've been in the custom home building industry for 28 years and have seen and heard it all. Frankly, there aren't many agents who know what to look for in terms of problems during construction. What you might want to do is to work with a Buyer's Agent (you can get representation without any "out of pocket" costs to you) who can help you review the design and specifications differences and make selections that suit your needs and budget.

Then the next hurdle is getting terms for when the home completed that you can live with and that you understand so you don't loose any mortgage rate locks. A knowledgeable Buyers Agent can provide additional inspections of the home during construction so that any shortcoming can be address by the builder as they are identified. These inspections might even involve a 3rd party inspector, but if the agent's knowledge is broad, their insight can be invaluable. Catching problems early is a key to getting a good home. Keep in mind the builder wants you to become a satisfied member of their new neighborhood, so they should be doing their best to produce a high quality home and they should be responsive to your concerns. My last client that I represented appreciated the advice they got on design, terms, material selections, mortgage terms and timing for rate lock and inspections which found problems that the builder responsibly corrected. Your best bet in discovering how others like their homes would be to visit the neighborhood on the weekend when other Toll Brother home buyers are out and about. Ask them how they like there homes and neighborhood. Also ask what they might do different.

Best of luck and keep the questions coming. Feel free to contact me if you want to talk in private.

Greg Hanner, Broker, REALTOR, e-pro
http://www.GardenRealty.com
Hi Ashitat,

Greg Hanner, Broker, REALTOR, e-pro
http://www.GardenRealty.com