Home Buying in Southold>Question Details

dfcndc, Home Buyer in Wading River, NY

Told there is no certificate of occupancy on an older home but a certificate of occupancy was issued later for an addition in Southold NY

Asked by dfcndc, Wading River, NY Mon Sep 24, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:


You need to tread lightly here. A critical investigation of the Certificate of Occupancy and the supporting documents behind it is essential to get a good read on what is happening.

This is not unusual in our Town. The building Dept is very helpful in this situation if you just ask them. Like anything else, there is a process and fees involved. Typically homes built before 1957 in Southold did not have CO's when they were built.

I have been through this process dozens of times and can help you if you wish to contact me!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 11, 2013
Older homes may not have a Certificate of Occupancy because they were built before building department records and rules. However, an older home can get a Pre-co. As your agent or the seller's agent we can help you get a pre-co if the home does not have a c/o because of when it was built. However, if the owner built the home and never got the c/o, then they must go through the process of getting one through the building department.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 12, 2013
The older part of the home was built before Southold Town required Certificates Of Occupancy. The addition was built during the timeframe the Southold Town building department issues certificates. The town will issue a Pre-CO for the original home to resolve the isssue. There is an application and fee established with the building department. Your attorney should be able to advise you on the process. This will satisfy title search requirements in order to clear a file with a mortgage bank.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
Consult with your attorney, ask if c/o requirements have been fulfilled by the seller....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
Homes that were built before local building codes in Southold, can receive a certifcate based on "pre-existing conditions." It's called a pre C.O. - pre-existing certificate of occupancy. The building department will inspect for certain fire and other safety requirements and issue the c.o. Remember some historic homes were buit before the Civil War - they're still standing - that certainly is something to take into consideration! The key is to get a good engineer inspection, make sure it's structurally sound. If additions or alterations have been done after the fact, the c.o. would be given for those additions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
The seller needs a Certificate of Occupancy to sell unless on an older home there is a Deed in Lieu.

Seller should go through a title company to meet requirements in order to sell.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2012
There is no "deed in lieu" in this case. Perhaps this author meant "pre -existing certificate of occupancy" or "letter of pre existing use" . A deed in lieu is when a mortgagor gives the deed ( gives the house back" ) to the bank in lieu of going through or continuing with the foreclosure process.
Flag Mon Nov 11, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer