Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Anthony, Home Buyer in 78731

Thoughts on moving to Mercer Island?

Asked by Anthony, 78731 Mon Jan 7, 2013

ok... my wife and I just returned from our trip to Seattle and she loved Mercer Island.
Any feedback on Mercer Island for us?

Our details are below....

My wife and I are moving to Seattle in a few months. We have 2 kids ages 5 and 8. We are currently in Atlanta.
I will be working in downtown Seattle near Virgina and 8th.
We are looking for:
Great Schools- My kids are in the talented and gifted program currently
Sq ft - over 3000
BR 4
BA 3
Not a cookie cutter area
kids can play outside safely
commute less than 30 minutes during rush hour
an areas where we can meet other parents

We would either be looking to rent or buy
budget:
rent $4,000 or less
buy: $850k or less

Answers

12
Another resource for you on Mercer Island happenings is the Patch for Mercer Island: http://mercerisland.patch.com/. In fact there is an article about Mercer Island real estate today in Patch, link below. I was out yesterday on Mercer Island showing homes to buyers and saw a lot of other brokers out with their clients as well. Enjoy the read!
Hi Anthony,
As a product of Mercer Island Schools some 30+ years ago, I can tell you that the education system there has always been a high priority for the residents. Growing up there we had very safe neighborhoods that I could walk or bike with little fear for my safety. The convenience to downtown or Bellevue is tough to beat and the local shopping and restaurant options have never been better.
For all this goodness though, you’ll pay a price. $850k or less will buy you an older home. Of the 3 currently available that are 4 or more bedrooms, 2.5 or more baths, one was built in 1979 one in 1973 and one in 1959.
For the same price you can have many great options in Issaquah, Sammamish, Bellevue or Redmond which all have great schools and reasonable access via I90 or 520 to downtown by car or transit.
I've attached a link to my search below. Let me know if I can be of further help and welcome to the Northwest.
Hi Anthony,

You will probably find everything you are looking for on Mercer Island. If you think you would consider switching schools in a year or so, I would say rent because you may find a different neighborhood you like better.

But Mercer Island School is listed as a top 10 school by greatschools.org and if you have no interest in your children switching schools again, you might as well take advantage of the great interest rates, etc.

Windermere Mercer Island is a great resource available to you.

Nikki

Nicole Demers-Changelo | Realtor®
Registered Architect. LEED Accredited Professional

MERCER ISLAND
Windermere Real Estate/Mercer Island
2737 77th Ave SE
Mercer Island, WA 98040

OFFICE (206) 232-0446
CELL (206) 271-1267
FAX (206) 236-6038
EMAIL andition@windermere.com

http://www.andition.com

P.S. Carrie and I work in the same office in Mercer Island. Hi Carrie :)
Mercer Island is about as far as you will want to go to the east if your commute comfort zone time is 30 minutes ...to keep within this 30 minutes , the other areas you will want to focus on is Seattle

Mercer island public schools much better than Seattle public Schools ...there are tons of private schools options in Seattle area ( if it fits the budget )

If you can locate a rental situation that works for 6 -12 months ...you might consider doing this to get a much better feel of areas / commutes / schools / parents / activities and then adjust your buying plans based on what you find out

if you need any assistance on the loan sider of things , my office is in Seattle not fat from your work address .....thanks
If you click on the link below you can see the homes that are currently listed on Mercer Island for 900K and below with at least 3 bedrooms. Mercer Island is a very nice area with a lot of high end homes. There are a lot of families living there and in my opinion it's a great place for kids. If you would like to see any of these homes or you have any other questions give me a call anytime.

http://www.matrix.nwmls.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=1870…

Alain Picard
realestatealain@yahoo.com
Mercer Island is very convenient, quiet, and safe. People that moved away 20 years ago still read the Mercer Island newspaper. The MI-Reporter webiste will give you insight It is a very homeogenous community. My real estate attorney moved there for the gifted program. She was paying private school tuition.
Bellevue is also very convenient and has great schools. If your children are talented and gifted, Seattle can be a great place as well. Queen Anne, Wallingford and West Seattle are all very convenient to downtown. Garfield and Roosevelt High always have as many and usually more merit scholars than Mercer Island. Several schools have gifted programs and the grade, middle and high schools for the top 1% are centrally located near your office.
Here is a link to school information in the areas above! (Cut and paste into your browser.)

http://barbkorducki.com/School/Neighborhood-Information.html

The price of houses might seem high and the lots are smaller.
Anthony,

The schools on Mercer Island are wonderful & the community just as much so. Commute would not be a problem. Only downside is that you have to take a bridge to go anywhere (not much of a problem) and the cost of a home is the highest of anywhere around here along with Medina.

Here is a link to the only 2 rental & 2 homes for sale currently on Mercer Island that match your criteria. Those are not a lot of options: http://www.matrix.nwmls.com/DE.asp?ID=6898953904

You may want to consider other area as well. If you would like to discuss this or anything else feel free to contact me directly & I would be happy to consult with you. I am both a real estate broker & a loan officer.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfactio
Hi Anthony,

Mercer Island is a great place to be in Seattle. The commute to downtown Seattle is pretty good from there. Buying in the area for under 850,000 could be a small challenge, as of right now there are 5 properties under 850k and only 2 of those are over 3,000 sq ft.

Here is a website that has more information on areas based on zip codes. The site is very plain but has a lot of information on it.

http://www.zipskinny.com

When will you be moving to Seattle?

Please let me know if you have any questions or help moving.

Saviya Rowland
Coldwell Banker Danforth
206-334-8348
Your choice would be a good one...Mercer Island is very centrally located and barring traffic an easy drive over I-90 to Seattle...It is noted for being high end and has an excellent public school system...renting might be a good choice to make sure you like the area...buying could be you over your budget on the Island...

marcia h chase
chase property management
http://www.marcia@chasepropertymgmt.com
Great questions! I live on Mercer Island and love it. The schools are terrific, and the commute you discuss would be an easy commute. I just pulled the most recent statistics on Mercer Island sales, and of all the homes that have sold on Mercer Island in the last six months, the median sale price was $882,500 and the average square footage was 3,264. Please email me at bonnie@bonniebeddall.com or give me a call at 206-819-8588 and I can send you the full report, which also details all of the active available listings on the island as well.

With respect to renting on Mercer Island, there are also options we can discuss.
Mercer Island is a wonderful community to raise kids. I have been representing buyers on Mercer Island for many years. We have lived here for over 10 years. Now have 2 kids in college. Check out my profile on Trulia and give me a call. I will share everything I know about the community. Thanks.
Let's talk - I live in Seattle my office is Mercer island
Carrie Haymond
Windermere
206-512-0950