Home Buying in Houston>Question Details

missg, Home Buyer in 77084

Thoughts on KB homes? I've read bad reviews, mostly from other states, but fell in love with a model home....Advice?

Asked by missg, 77084 Sun Apr 22, 2012

Answers

68
Dear Missg in 77084,
About 25 years ago KB started life as Kaufman & Broad Home Builders. They did very basic entry level homes and had such a poor reputation they changed their name to KB Homes. I have toured some of their newer construction homes and they appear to be much better than before. If your considering a new construction KB home check out their new Green ratings. Make sure you have a third party home inspection done, so you know that its built right. You might also call a local Realtor to help you with the purchse. They can help you to get a better price and share the most recent sales with you, so you can see what the right price should be. Also they can look in the same neighborhood and see if there are any similar foreclosures. Buying a foreclosure can also save you thousands. I wish you luck!

Sincerely

Betina

Betina Foreman- Realtor, C.N.E.
Austin Home Girls Realty
1601 West 6th Street
Austin, TX 78703
I recommend you approach the decision much the same as you would a marriage proposal from a boyfriend that all your friends and girlfriends have bad things to say about....in other words, try to resist the romance of a model home and trust your research.
My advice from experience in Willowbrook community: RUN don't walk away from a KB Home. Please let Willowbrook and a dozen plus other communities in Florida alone be the example of how KB Home builds.

Take the time to research. Go to: http://thekbhome.com where there are pictures/stories of numerous newly constructed homes by KB Home which are literally falling apart.
4 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
I think everyone's perception of a new home builder might be different.

Let me say this, I have never seen a KB home fall to the ground, and they must build their homes in accordance with local building codes just like everyone else.

I am sure about their customer service before, during, and after the sale. That might be what is spurring bad reviews possibly.

The one think I have noticed with KB locally, is that they provide much more of a "builder grade" home with alot of upgrades not included.

If you love the home though, that is what really counts.
That's exactly what KB Homes wants you to do, fall in love with the model then they've got you. Google KB Home reviews or take a look around http://TheKBHome.com before you make that committment.
Replace "KB Homes" in your above statement with ANY homebuilder and the statement will always be true.
Flag Tue Jul 22, 2014
From the sounds of the responses below it seems KB Homes is not a highly recommended builder. Each person's experience is different. Since this is an old post, I'm sure you've reached your decision, but I would not always rely on the opinions of others from a blog. Figure out what's important to you in buying a home and see which builder can offer you the best deal for what you're looking for.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Aug 8, 2014
Do not buy a KB home. Poor labor and poor quality. Talk to your lawyer.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 17, 2014
Stay away from KB. There prices are good, but their customer service later if there are any problems is non existent. A lot of the work is shoddy. You won't hear back from them when you have an issue or issues, you want to talk about & have resolved.
They are almost a month behind the original completion date they said.
They left our house unlocked, and last nite a bunch or people went in the house smoking weed, putting their cigarettes out on our base boards, food all over the counter, cig butts in 2 bd rms, in both bathrooms. They did #1 & #2 in out mstr bath toilet, carpet stained from ashes I guess, weed stems, cigar tobacco on the kitchen counter.
We didn't even get the house we initially wanted cause it would not fit on the perimter of the subdivision, and the incompetent sales person didn't tell us til we showed up with earnest $$$ to get things started. Note, we had gone to the model several times to make sure the 3 lots they said were available for the house, were indeed still available. All along the house we wanted would not fit at any of the perimeter lots. We bought anyway cause of the location. This is at Klein Arbor.
We ordered a Oiled rub bronze shower, got black, they had the nerve to make me seem stupid and saying that is oil rubbed bronze. I wish I could add a picture.
My suggestion is go to another builder, the satisfaction will be worth the extra $$$.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 17, 2014
I've owned a KB home for 17 years. It's cheap construction. We have had problems with plumbing, electrical and poor insulation. Neighbors have the same complaints. Buying a KB home was the biggest mistake I ever made
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun May 4, 2014
I own a KB home and have had nothings but problems from plumbing to walls not being straight to stucco crumbling - my house is only 7 years old. The money you spend on repairs alone make their homes thousands more expensive in the long run. Stay away!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 20, 2014
My husband and I have recently built a KB home and one of our biggest issues is the model completely sells you and your actual home will look nothing like that. The craftsmanship of these homes is absolutely pathetic, sadly getting someone to address your issues is a wasted effort. It is our personal feelings that not one competent person works in the North Carolina division. I wouldn't tell my worst enemy to buy a KB home, having gone through what we have gone through.
Don't waste your money and risk your sanity, check out HH Hunt homes or anyone other than KB.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Nov 14, 2013
My husband and I looked at a model in NC/ Raleigh area and we absolutely love it. Now I am second guessing myself whether or not we should go with them. The seller is pushing us to make an offer, but I just don't feel comfortable yet. Reading all these review definitely opened up my eyes to the many issues they have...thanks for posting
Flag Tue Feb 25, 2014
May I recommend that you use a realtor to purchase your next home. Why? The builder will pay the commission but the realtor signs an agreement with you to represent your best interests. In other words the realtor works for you as a fiduciary. The right Realtor will get you the best deal including: negotiating the price, getting amenities thrown in for free, making sure you have layered inspections, monitoring the building process. I have an unlimited amount of advice to share with you. For instance: what about the quality of paint used. Builders usually use the cheapest paint they can buy. I can change that for you. What kind of nails do they use? It makes a huge difference. Did you think to ask if the home comes with a garage door opener? Some don't.
If you live in the D/FW area please call me.

Rick Hohmann
KellerWilliams
972-613-1455
0 votes Thank Flag Link Yesterday at 6:24am
I've had conversations with KB home Owners. Each one was either past or currently(at the time of conversation) In a class action Law Suit against KB Homes. Each persons complaint was due to poor construction. Problems with the windows not in the space properly, the foundations not poured to code thickness, and finally, just last year someone close to me, living in a KB Home bought it as a resale home and not knowing the builder, had to have the roof attached to the walls due to water coming in. They had to have mold remediated due to the issues. Not a cheap fix. Be very careful when buying a KB Home. Make sure you get all inspections done and have thorough inspections. KB has some really great floor plans, just be careful. In one case KB was supposed to correct the issues, and a building inspector who approved the particular community, ended up in jail. Be careful... What is it they say? Caveat Emptor 'let the buyer beware'

I also need to say that Ina search of the FTC site, I wasn't able to find many complaints, but a complaint that I recently filed against another company, also didn't show up when searching for that.
WHO CAN WE CONTACT ABOUT ROOFING PROBLEMS FOR THE KB HOME WE PURCHASE 2011. THE HEAT EXTRACTER IS LEAKING WATER WHEN IT IS A HEAVY RAIN.
How can you join the lawsuit against KB Homes
WHO CAN WE CONTACT ABOUT ROFFING PROBLEMS FOR THE KB HOME WE PURCHASE 2011. THE HEAT EXTRACTER IS LEAKING WATER WHEN IT IS A HEAVY RAIN.

Thanks for your response,

I Bishop Leo Morgan willing to lend out loans with the interest rate of 3% and within the amount of $3,000 to $8,000,000 as the loan offer, We offer loan at low interest rate and with no credit check, we offer Personal loan's, debt consolidation loan's, venture capital,business loan's, education loan's, home loans or "loan's for any reason!However, Our method offer's you the chance to state the amount of loan needed and also the duration you can afford, We are certified and registered, so you have nothing to be afraid off, If you are ready in applying for a loan.

Our loans are well insured for maximum security and this is our major priority. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan offer? Are you biting your fingernails to the quick?Instead of beating yourself up, we are loan specialists who help stop Bad
Credit History.

If you are Interested, you have to fill out the Loan Application Form below, Immediately you fill out the Loan Application form, you are to send it back to us, so that your loan can be processed here without any further delay once the information's gets to our office.

( LOAN APPLICATION FORM )
(1) First name:......
(2) Last name:.......
(3) Prefix (Mr., Mrs., Ms., Dr., etc.):....
(4) Purpose of loan:.....
(5) Date of birth (yyyy-mm-dd):.....
(6) Next Of Kin:.....
(7) Country:.....
(8) City:......
(9) State/Province:.....
(10) Work address:.....
(11) Phone:.....
(12) Fax:.....
(13) Monthly Income......
(14) Amount Needed As The Loan:.....
(15) Duration:....

I hope to hear from you soon.email:bishopleoloanfunds01@gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Bishop Leo Morgan
DO NOT buy a KB home. Our home is full of defects which KB refused to fix so we joined a group lawsuit as did a huge percentage of owners of these poorly built homes. Not sure about other states, but in "consumer friendly" California, the law is completely on the side of the builder to the point it is corrupt. First, KB was allowed to drag out the mediation process. We purchased our home 10 years ago and have had water coming up through the slab from the beginning. We went to mediation along with other owners and apparently KB is able to ignore anything the mediator says too, even though he is recommending recovery for us. This after two crews of inspectors tore up our home to document the situation. Moreover, only the original owner is eligible to receive anything under mediation. We are original owners but over the course of 10 years, several original owners sold their homes and KB knows this. Then there is the delightful portion of the law that says an owner is only able to address actual damage to the home. So if you have a leaky roof, you can consider damage to drywall but not ask for funds to repair the roof itself. KBs plan is to delay everything with their team of lawyers and not pay a dime to fix the homes they built with cheap workers and cheap materials. Once they have your money, their attitude changes and they do not recognize their 10 year warranty or even the recommendations of a court appointed mediator. In the end, it will be up to each individual homeowner to take them to court which is like David going up against Goliath. Shame on KB.
Folks should be on the look out for more mortgage fraud in the Southern states. California and Florida have felt the economic rift. Now, its the South's turn. KB homes have a bad reputation for failing to submit documents, forging consumer's information, and develop homes with a million and one "investors" tied to developments. KB homes tricked and outsmarted a number of systems (this is where the fake documents come in at). If you plan to invest in a real future, do not conduct business with KB homes. Be careful about earnest money, make sure you keep your receipts because trust and believe you will need it. Money has disappeared and trail perhaps will lead to KB homes, investors, and/or title companies connected with KB homes. This company is smart and they generally prey on first time home buyers. Always be sure to read fine print which should be in at least 10 pt font if laws have not changed. Be careful whenever making selections to purchase new home as investors, developers, your state's accessor's offices, and title companies generally pull off mortgage schemes together. This is modern times and people have found get rich quick schemes and are preying on Middle class families. If it sounds too good to be try, it is. For those who have believe they have FHA loans, perhaps would want to check with MERS as KB Homes have a horrible reputation for failing to turn in documents. As stated, steer away from financial advisors/investors or anyone who promise big returns. Do not sign any documents which attach your financial information to money market accounts, PMA accounts. Sharks are waiting to prey on retirement accounts as well. These modern day sharks are worse than folks at Enron and better than Madoff as before you can blink an eye, folks would have "made" off with your money. Steer away from signing documents which use home as collateral. Be sure to keep watch on your deeds. Often in times, Home Owners Association assist these folks with carrying off schemes. Mortgage fraud, truth in lending, terms and conditions: Read fine prints as well as clauses: Upon death, banks get house.....Buyer beware for all....#DiminishMortgageFraud&SlumLoans
My advice to you is, find another builder. DO NOT DO BUSINESS W/KB HOMES. Those folks are "SNAKE OIL" salesmen. I just turned them in to the BBB (Better Business Burea) for a $500 good faith deposit I gave them for a home I was going to purchase in the Cobblestone Community in Clayton NC. They did not build the home according to the contract I signed. Aftrer a lengthy discussion the district manager of NC said he would give me my deposit back.

A few days later he changed his mind and told my sales rep Katrina Hughs he would not refund my money. I just turned them into the BBB and this is how KB homes responded to my complaint...

RECEIVE BUSINESS RESPONSE : On behalf of KB HOME Raleigh-Durham Inc. ("KB"), we sincerely appreciate you bringing the aforementioned complaint to our attention. We take complaints such as these very seriously and regret that our customer is dissatisfied.
On or about April 26, 2011, KB and Ms. Taylor entered into a purchase agreement relating to the purchase and construction of a home in KB's Cobblestone community. Due to Ms. Taylor's unhappiness regarding the construction of the home, she elected to terminate the purchase agreement several months later. Per the terms of the purchase agreement, KB retains all deposits if the buyer elects to terminate the contract. In addition, Ms. Taylor signed a Cancellation Agreement for Disbursement of Earnest Money, on or about October 25, 2011, agreeing that the $500 deposit would be retained by KB.
Based upon these facts, KB must respectfully deny Ms. Taylor's request that her deposit be returned to her.

Like I said, these folks are dishonest. All this for $500. Every chance I get, I will ring the alarm about this group! DO NOT DO BUSINESS W/THEM. They will screw up your house and leave you with the bill.
DO NOT BUY A HOME FROM KB HOME! We bought a model home from KB Home in June 2014 located in Fort Worth, Texas. The purchase and dealing with KB Home staff has just been a nightmare, not to mention all the issues we encountered and the unwillingness of KB Home Customer Service to resolve them unless we threaten them each and every time.
We have not been pleased at all with the purchase of the house and have encountered many issues following the purchase. It became obvious to us that we have been lied to and lied to many times by the salespeople (Steven Garcia), and the builder/manager (Sean) himself during the walkthrough at time of closing and after the sale. No need for us to mention names here.
Follows a short list of our less than pleasant discoveries.
1. We have been sold an itemized bill of goods with every item priced as they were new, not a model home with additional features included at a set price.
2. We overpaid for the house well over 20K after consulting with a handful of real estate agents. According to their research, no home has been sold at this price in this area, and no real estate agent is willing to sell it at the price we paid for. We are puzzled how KB came up with that price, and how their appraiser got away with it.
3. We got the model home with all furniture and surveillance cameras removed. We found out when we visited other builders that it is a customary practice among builders to sell a model home with all furniture included. We were left with the artwork on the walls, most of them we had to take down and walls were damaged in certain areas. The five year old draperies were discolored by the sun and had to be discarded. The blue walls should have been repainted. That paint is 5 years old and it shows when you try to paint certain damaged areas. After requesting it many times, KB Home refused to do the repainting of the blue walls even though it was their art left on the walls that caused the damage.
- The surveillance system was not functioning, had to be replaced. Cameras were removed.
- The carpets were not shampooed and filthy in certain areas. So we made arrangements with KB to shampoo the carpet and that was well over 2 months after we moved in.
- A faulty sprinkler system where the sprinkler system company had to be called 3 times to fix it
- A bunch of windows not closing that had to be repositioned and replaced
- A rotten ant infested fence that we begged to replace and was finally replaced
- A mailbox nailed to a rotten picket that was eventually replaced as we found the mailbox a couple of times knocked on the sidewalk.
- Overpriced electrical bills, almost $300 in the summer, while KB Home guarantees $192 for this home. We had the air conditioning technicians a half a dozen times looking at it. Is there a leak somewhere? Even our heating bill varying between $170 and $200 for only a few days of operation during the cold period seems high. In a little over one year, Airtron technicians have been at the house a dozen times doing various repairs to the air conditioning. Almost once a month. Unbelievable and unacceptable.
This is a brief list of the issues we encountered. There are additional concerns we rather not address at this time. But overall, we felt lied to, cheated and ripped off.
In short, we overpaid for a model home with lots of problems. We paid the full price as the upgrades were new, but they were 5 years old. I compare it often to an overpriced purchase of a used car where the owner hid and lied about all the problems and sells it like new.
We will never recommend to purchase a home or model home from KB Home, as we sincerely hope that the company will go bankrupt as they have bankrupted us in every way. May they just go away and leave the state of Texas for good.
DO NOT BUY A KB HOME! We bought a model home from KB Home in June 2014 located in Fort Worth, Texas, and the purchase and dealing with KB staff has been just a nightmare. We will never buy another home from them, and if you come across them, please RUN away from them.
We have not been pleased at all with the purchase of the house and have encountered many issues following the purchase. It became obvious to us that we have been lied to and lied to many times by the salespeople (Steve Garcia), the builder (Sean) himself during the walkthrough at time of closing and after the sale. And I am glad to mention their names because they are still on staff.
1. We have been sold an itemized bill of goods with every item priced as they were new, not a model home with additional features included at a set price. The house is about 5 years old at time of purchase, built in 2010.
- A faulty sprinkler system where the sprinkler system company had to be called 3 times to fix it and still one zone is malfunctioning.
- Overpriced electrical bills, almost $300 in the summer, while KB Home guarantees $192 for this home. We had the air conditioning technicians a half a dozen times looking at it. Is there a leak somewhere? Even our heating bill varying between $170 and $200 for only a few days of operation during the cold period seems high. By the way in a little over one year since we have been here, Airtron technicians have been to the house a dozen times.
In short, we overpaid for a model home with lots of problems, since we paid the full price for each upgrade as they were new, but they were 5 years old. I compare it often to an overpriced purchase of a used car where the owner hid and lied about all the problems.
Based on the above, we do NOT recommend anyone buying a home or model home from KB Home and we sincerely hope that the company one day will go bankrupt if not in the country at least in Texas as they bankrupt us in every way. We hope KB Home will no longer be allowed to build a single home in the state of Texas.
I 'am in love with my beautiful KB Home! No problems with constructional details of the home plus even minor details of the home such as a light fixture. Employees of the company were extremely helpful and returned phone calls in a timely manner (which was very impressive and rare). My husband's employment requires us to move every 2 to 7 years. We have purchased several homes with other major builders in our marriage; 15 to be exact and the sheetrock in our KBHomes is one of the best. Customer Service rating high 10! I recommend this builder highly.
I would be wary... We had signed a building contract to build in the neighborhood Trailside in Thornton, CO, and were approved for a loan for way more home than we can afford in REAL LIFE. This was the reason they didn't give us our money back - because their lender "approved" is. Just because a person's credit is exceptional, doesn't mean they should be approved for too much house. Including myself. Besides the point.

Anyway... Once we ran numbers again and realized it was a huge financial mistake to build a new home for our family, we canceled our building agreement. Even though all that had been done on our behalf by KB was procure a building permit from the city of Thornton, we were not given any of our earnest money back. Nothing else that required our earnest money has been done. No ground had not even been broken yet! Now that we are on to search for a different home, it is VERY FRUSTRATING to not get any of our earnest money returned to us. Our realtor told us that if this case went to small claims court we would - hands down - get all of our money back. I'm thinking that's not a bad idea at this point...
All I can say about them is begin with horrible sales guy, poor quality check, shoddy materials and worst customer service. Bought a new construction in Raleigh/Durham, NC region. They hire bunch of local labors/contractors with no reputation and quality known to them. Sales guy would try maximum promises but minimum details on contract. They will rip you off and take you for ride once you get your contract signed.

They always buys out the local buyer agent who are usually in tune with those guys corrupt practice. So avoid them.
Definitely would not recommend KB home, extemely poor construction quality.
don't buy KB home in houston. there warranty service is bad. they will blame on everybody else but won't fix the problem.
Cityside Homes i a terrible builder to own your home from. Reasons are as follows -

1) Their sales staff are rude and unresponsive
2) The owner's wife who manages the HOA is extremely unprofessional and arrogant
3) The construction is of a very poor quality with the need for repeated repairs within the first six homes of our moving in
4) The construction project manager is an absolute red neck hick who knows nothing about providing customers with sound service

All in all, if you can, stay away from this builder in Houston!
Worst mistake of my life, I would never buy a KB Home again, it has been a nightmare to even get our roads paved since 2008 they promised us a community pool, a park, and to attach our phase to the rest of the neighborhood and nothing has ever been done.

DO NOT EVER BUY FROM KB HOMES
I see this is an older post. I hope you went someplace else for your home. Mine is a nightmare I can never escape. It leaked for years. Most of the houes did & KB Home did not fix them right. They re-leak. Most of the neighborhood defaulted. The only way out is foreclosure. I've lost $200K. My life is ruined.The Florida attorney general has an investigation of the company. In Texas they are making them tear them down. There are many websites out there. See for yourself. http://www.kbhomesleak.com/
We are in the process of building a KB Home in the Conroe area. So far we have been happy with the way things are going. Just go into the build knowing that what you fell in love with at the model may not be what your house will look like when it is finished. Common sense tells us they make a model look perfect, by adding all the bells and whistles KB Homes evens has a wall hanging telling you about the upgrades they did in that certain model. .But be aware that they don't tell you about every change for that particular floor plan .Our current issue is the set up of the plumbing and electrical for the laundry room is totally opposite in the model. Something our initial floor plan did not show and then were told the floor plan we were given at signing was not correct. ( printing issues) So all we had to go by was the model home. Which ever builder you decide to go with make sure you pay attention to details and donlt be afraid to ask questions.
I wanted to check in and see if you are enjoying your new home. We are thinking about building with KB Homes. Thanks in advance for your help!
Flag Sat Apr 11, 2015
http://colinahomes.com/build-a-home/plantation-lakes/

I love this builder...the homes come with upgrades and the plans are nice...I saw a home that was not yet finished not the model home that was finished....so much better than KB and worth your money....KB model was nice but not worth the money I looked at the ones located off hwy 6....bout 3 months ago...
wow, I must be lucky, I had a home built in Florida they were efficient, did Add ons assisted after the sale even though it was during the worst house market and I was able to get a modification
I bought at the worst time but the prices have managed to creep up so I am not underwater too much.
Personally I love my home and I better I signed a 40 year mortgage :)
They are way too much money...Colina Homes are nice come with upgrades...Frontera Homes and many more...do research....
Anyone from Houston???can tell me anything.
JUST DON"T EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME!!!! RUN RUN RUN AWAY! My father and my husband both worked for KB Home in the Houston and surrounding areas. Both of them had a position which was extremely high up in the organization since both have extensive knowledge and experience in the industry, but AFTER they were there for only a short while, they would each come home every night just talking about how horrible the houses were and how much b/s the sales dept feed to potential buyers. They were in the customer service department in charge after the sale was completed when the REAL problems surfaced. They both felt so bad all the time since the customers had so many issues and yet they could not even help them since even simple requests were denied by the very top top management. Eventually, both my husband and my dad quit b/c they didn't want to be associated anymore with such a deceiving company. Bottom line, homes are built like DooDoo and help is nonexistent after the sale
Flag Tue Mar 25, 2014
They lie lie lie all the way to the end. Please do your research on Kb homes they are a big scam. Read the reviews run as fast as you can....
Everyone falls in love with the model which is all upgrades. We started our process of purchase in March 2013.First sign was an eisment on lot and we couldn't build after signing contract. Second lot house didn't fit after signing papers again. Sales lady said didn't know..Wow really. Here it is Oct and we were due to close in Nov. The whole time they said it was an issue with the way I got paid pesonal check Nationstar Financial. If it was an issue they could of told me that months before instead they kept asking for faxed paper after faxed papers of the same thing. Nationstar 3 weeks into closing said we can't do...but KB has another financial company that will work with the way you get paid. We canceled contract. We are so very thankful that it happened the way it did.
After reading their reviews all the complaint 8 months compared to 20 or 30 yrs. Thank God!!
Publicpublished review 7/8/13
since i bought this house back in2010 i been having problems with a/c unit in the house. the installer was delair and the builder was kb homes. last week the a/c went off by itself or shut down i call delair and the told that is going to take a couples of days before they sent a tech to check the system finally today monday the tech arrive to take look at the system. he says there is leak but is not in the system itself. the leak is throught the pipes that carry the refrigerante to the unit and in underground pipe system and cost to replace about $1200.00 to do the job i call kb homes because is a relative new house asking if i have any warranty on this house, after all is almost a new house right! well they told me no you don't have any warranty and you have to pay. i think is not fair to treat me in the way they did. i feel hopeless because i don't have that much money to do the repair and is a new house from kb homes.
Bad New!!! Do your research on KB Homes first!!! A simple web search will reveal scary things about KB Homes. They're having severe problems in Florida with failing structures (newer homes tagged by the county as UNSAFE!!!), water intrusion that has led to mold, and the list goes on. Look at all the local news and other pictures, videos, and stories at http://TheKBHome.com
I feel SO bad for all these homeowners. They literally have to choose between KB's warranty claim stalling techniques and selling them homes for a lot less than they purchased for just because it's falling about and to no fault of their own!!!! 22 neighborhoods have now been found and are affected with a variety of issues. The Attorney General Pam Bondi of Florida is now investigating KB Homes for possible fraudulent sales! DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!

http://TheKBHome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 18, 2013
My advice to you is to NEVER purchase a home that has been built by KB Homes, I purchased mine 7 years ago from the KB directly only to learn that any of the building defects reported to them were never taken care of, they forgot to tell me that my home had been built.
I think the worst disappointment has been having problems with my downstairs bathroom and after $4,000.00 in expected repairs, they have absolutely refused to provide me with the plumbing blueprints to which I have the legal right to have.
Are they "cheap" yes, but as a quality builder having had their CEO prosecuted and currently in house arrest, in addition to had closed their offices in Texas and moved them to California, you will never have the opportunity of reaching anyone.
There are many other trusting developers in Houston, Texas like Mercedes Homes, Toll Brothers, Pulte, Horizon, etc. that care about their reputation and building quality.
Check the BBB, get an REALTOR and do some comparison shopping. Getting a buyer's agent to help you doesn't cost you a dime but it is an important step in buying a new home.

Let me know if I can refer you a smart agent in your area.

Steve Santos
steve.santos.realtor@gmail.com
Coming from a KB Homes homeowner, DO YOUR RESEARCH ON KB HOMES FIRST!!!!!! We have had nothing but problems!!! Do a web search for TheKBHome or go to http://TheKBHome.com to see why I DO NOT recommend KB Homes.
Looking at possibly buying a KB build home in California. What protections should I look at having to ensure that none of the issues highlighted below will happen to me?

The problem is...you have NO protections under their contract. That is why there are so many complaints. We are going thru a nightmare. DON'T USE KB!
Flag Thu Jul 17, 2014
I recently bought a townhome in anastasia island built by KB. They were very pushy trying to make me close in an extremely short time, recommending i use there lender, insurance company, and then set up closing w/own title company. I would not use them again. The townhome has a lot of builder grade qualities and the community pool is so small maybe 10 people can get in it at one time...and there are 75 townhomes!!! NEGATIVE rating I say.
I'm extremely familiar with KB homes and besides being a full time Broker for over 20 years I've built homes. KB homes builds what I would consider to be a very average quality home. Their not exceptionally well built, however they do offer good value for the dollar.

Do get a buyer broker (preferably one with some home building experience), don't be afraid to negotiate, (remember you don't get if you don't ask) and plan on two home inspections one done before the drywall goes on and all the rough plumbing and electrical is in; and the second on completion.

I wish you all the best.
The reality here is that every builder will undoubtedly have both good and bad criticism. It's the nature of the business. Today's builders typically sub out contracts to various trades involved, masonry, electrical, carpentry, roofing, etc. Since there could be a dozen or more home for which the project manager is responsible...things can be overlooked.

In my opinion, all buyers of new construction should contract with a personal home inspector to preview the home and identify any issues of concern. Builders don't like this but it is in most cases, money well spent...regardless of whether or not problems are covered in your one year warranty program.

We also recommend that you request in writing prior to going to contract what specifically is covered and what the limitations are within that warranty.

Great advice, I hear that KB Home doesn't allow for inspections or only allows for them after they get your earnest money. That way they don't care if you back out or you feel like you're going to lose your investment and say hey I have a 10 year warranty. But guess what, good look with that warranty. More on this http://thekbhome.com
Flag Sat May 18, 2013
Evening,
I just got this inquiry again as though it's a new request. After 25 well written replies with a variety of suggestions and viewpoint, it time for this inquiry to be removed. Surely the individual who submitted it has enough information to make a well thought out decision.

Brenda Peavy, Broker
(My contact informatin was provided weeks ago below)
I agree with Betina Foreman the agent from Austin, TX, she pretty much nailed it!
Worst Mistake you can make is to buy from KB Homes. The sales people have no idea what they are doning, they lie to you, they do not communicate with the buyer. Worst Company ever!
Bad news! I live in a KB Home and severely dislike it. Not only do we have water intrusion which has now caused mold and mildew growth but now 13 KB Home neighborhoods in about a 150 mile radius of us have all contacted local TV stations after they saw the reports on our shoddy built homes, and said that they have many of the same problems! If you really want the scoop just Google 'KB Home', it won't take you long to see all the negative websites out there. http://TheKBHome.com
1 2