Home Buying in Lynbrook>Question Details

Lilahmorganl…, Home Buyer in Lynbrook, NY

This may sound silly but...I am an African-American professional woman, married, no children yet and always

Asked by Lilahmorganlewes, Lynbrook, NY Wed Jun 3, 2009

feel uncomfortable when my real estate agent takes me to an all Caucasian neighborhood. My feeling of uneasiness comes from my fear that my maybe neighbor may not want me to move next door. In your line of work, have you ever had a seller say or that their neighbors not want to sell to buyers of ethnic heritage? And do you tell your client this?

Answers

11
Hi Lilah,

Fear not! I was the first African American to move on the street where I currently reside. I love my home and neighborhood. As time goes on communities are becoming more diverse. Fear NOT!
Call me so that we can find you the home of your dreams in a lovely neighborhood.

Eleanor Sams-Hurdle
646-201-0564
It is illegal to refuse a buyer based on race or color.The village of Lynbrook a nice place to live in.
Hi Lilamorganl,

It is a violation of the Fair Housing Laws for a Realtor, a seller or anyone for that matter involved in a housing transaction to discuss the etnic makeup of a neighborhood, or persons ethnic background at anypoint. It would be a violation of the same Fair Housing Laws for your agent to show you homes only in neighborhoods occupied predominately by African-American families. I have never had any potential clients or neighbors come up to me looking to discuss this issue. If I did I have an obligation to inform them they are violating the Fair Housing laws and I would not work with them in the future. Political correctness has nothing to do with the issue. It comes down to the law! Best of luck!

Matt
Matt
I understand your uneasiness. I notice that the town where you live has a history of discrimination, racism towards other racial groups. But so do other towns. I have lived on the south shore of Nassau County for > 30 years. It is just the way Long Island is and may be for some time to come.
What you should do is go where you feel is the BEST place for you to live and grow. Don't let a few ignorant people get in the way of your happiness. In my experience, some people just fear what their new neighbors will be like, regardless of their race or ethnicity. Good Luck! Be a good neighbor! We are all in the same home buying world!
By Federal law, realtors are not allowed to discriminate against people due to their ethnic culture or religious affiliation . By law they are a protected class of people. If a seller indicates that they don't want their house shown to a certain ethnic or a minority cultural buyer, realtors must advise the seller that discrimination is ethically wrong and illegal. If they won't cooperate after advisement, then we must rescind the listing as per the Board of Realtor's written policy.
My advice to you is to shop neighborhoods and see where you are comfortable living and as long as you are financially qualified, then work toward pursuing your dream home. Don't worry about the neighbors.
I can understand how you feel, because although Long Island thinks that it is liberal, there is more prejudice here than people want to admit to. The important thing is not what the neighbors say, as much as how comfortable you feel. As a professional woman, I think that once you move in to a home, you will have an opportunity to show your neighbors who you are, and that they have nothing to be concerned about. However, what should happen may not be reality.

Robin Silverberg
Senior Loan Officer
Preferred Empire Mortgage
516-972-1687
Yes and No I have been approached by neighbours after open houses to ask or more to the point tell me that they would be upset if I sold to a customer of a particular group.They would not like to have living next door I'm sure there is still a lot of that sort of thing going onn I however when interviewing have to find out from the client how much they know about a certain neighbourhood,pull the domographics for the area and be able to re assure the client ,if they dont feelsafe in a certain area move onn racisim is still alive but not to the extent that it was a few yeare ago.

Aston 914-329-2646
Stop feeling uncomfortable, and buy wherever you will be the happiest.

Anna
917-576-5376
abrocco@laffey.com
I've been in the business for 13 years. I never had a Client say that they didn't want me to show there home to a specific ethnic heritage.
I would not do business with anyone who ask me to discriminate against specific types of people. Not only is discrimination socially offensive but it can also jeopardize a transaction, your license, and expose me to liability. Violation of fair housing laws carry stiff penalties on both the federal and state levels.
Although I have never experience this, I don't feel that the issue of fair housing has long been resolved. Despite the intentions of both the 1866 and 1968 civil rights acts to provide equal housing opportunity for all citizens, there are still many places that this goal has not been achieved in practice.

Please call me direct if you have any questions or would like suggestions.

Patrick C. Williams Jr.
Licensed Associate Broker, CBR
Keystone Realty U.S.A.
384 Larkfield Road
East Northport, NY 11731
Direct: (516) 425-3764
Toll free: (800)610-9814
Fax: (800)610-9814
Email: patrickwilliams02@hotmail.com
Website:patrickwilliams2.point2agent.com
Lilah:

40 years ago when my Japanese American parents moved our family into a Caucasian neighborhood in Northern California, I recall vividly the physical and emotional torment I suffered at the hands of my racist neighbors who had little problem hurdling both verbal insults at me or rocks when it suited them. I'd like to believe that with election of a black President and acceptance of people of color in many places in society, you and I--as people of color and ethnicity different from Caucasians--have both the opportunity and the means to live in ANY neighborhood (Caucasian or otherwise) and the color of our skin should not deter you from finding and living in the home you like or in a part of town that best suits your needs.

While I understand your trepidation, as a professional woman, I think you should be proud of your accomplishments and your ability--through careful financial planning and good credit--to be given such a wide variety of choices for housing. Your only job is to find something that you like and in a neighborhood that will grow with you, your lifestyle and your changing family needs now and in the near future.

And as for neighbors not wishing to live near individuals of color, it is no longer politically correct or desirable for people to blatantly and openly express racist or xenophobic views, so Realtors seldom hear these comments either from our clients or from neighbors. In fact, I find that many more welcome diversity than abhor it.

Choose the home, Lilah, that best suits your needs and do not put as much weight on the "color" of the neighborhood as the quality of the home and the community!

Good luck and happy house hunting!

Grace Morioka, SRES, e-Pro
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
Email: GraceAreaProRealty@att.net
Dear Lilah,

There are nice and not nice people of all cultures and they live everywhere. Thank goodness that today, in this country we are all free regardless of color, race, religion, sexual orientation and marital status to live anywhere we can afford. Be proud and live where you choose!

If I can ever help you find a place to live please call or email me anytime.

Melanie K. Lichaa
Licensed Home Specialist
Century 21, Laffey Associates
mlichaa@laffey.com
917.400.6506