Mrmcconn, Home Owner in Pottstown, PA

Thinking of relocating, why are the houses so cheap? And is it safe?

Asked by Mrmcconn, Pottstown, PA Mon Jan 21, 2013

We are thinking of relocating from the Philly subs and were shocked by the LOW prices on homes that would cost 300K in the Philly area. Why are they so cheap and is the area good to raise small kids. Everything I can find on the area is outdated. Also my husband works in jersey city, is it a good commuter area? Thanks

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1066687242-6568-Timothy-Lake-…

Answers

5
Make sure you figure out exactly what the costs will be in terms of time and money to commute from Pennsylvania to New Jersey. There are plenty of areas of New Jersey where you can commute by train to Jersey City.
Hi Anne, we are aware of the costs,. My husband is currently commuting three hours each way until we can sell our house and move closer. Unfortunately there is not a lot of affordable housing options in northern jersey. But we are considering other areas as well. Thank you for the reply.
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Thank you for your inquiry. The prices have fallen dramatically due to the economic downturn of the past 5 years. Many properties have gone into foreclosure causing the price of all to go down. Our market is driven by buyers out of NJ and NY and they are not moving out here the way they used to, basically for the same reason. You can check crime statistics on line by going to my website: http://www.AVALARPOCONOS.com and looking for community info. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. Regards,
Thank you for the reply, Michael. I will check out the crime stats using the link you provided.
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013
Monroe County is somewhat of a depressed area. Salaries tend to be lower here than in Jersey, New York, Philly or even Allentown. The Poconos used to be a vacation area and people bought houses here as second homes. What happened later was that people moved from New Jersey and New York because the home prices were cheaper and the property taxes lower. Some of these people did not factor in the cost of commuting though and later had to sell and move back. The real estate melt down also hit the area hard leading to a lot of foreclosures. Mortgage companies now add estimated costs of commuting to people's expenses to decide if they can afford the mortgage they want.

Commuting from here to Jersey City should be do-able. You can take 80 to 287 to 24 to 78, or 80 to 280 to get to the Jersey City area. You need to allow time, however, is case of accidents on 80 so it pays to listen to newsradio.
PS, I have 5 children and have never felt in danger and they are very successful in school as well. There are some great things here for the kids as well as the aduts. We are looking for good families to fill our homes that have been left vacant due to the troubled economic times our country has suffered. Come join us in a life worth living and home worth owning.
Ed :)
There are very nice and safe areas in the Pocono Region. I grew up in NJ very near JC, one of the fun places and memories for me. I commuted to the Meadowlands area for about 12 years from Tannersvile, one of the best places I know in the Region. Stroudsburg, Saylorsburg, Paradise Valley, Shawnee, Sciota, Pocono Township, Reeders, East Stroudsburg are all easy for commuters and safe to live. Why don,t you call me and I will help you find a great home in a great neighborhood just like the one I live in. The homes are cheap because of the buyers market we are in now. That may change at any time and is showing signs of a shift taking place again. Get your home before the prices and interest rates start to climb. 570-242-8518 is my direct #
I aim to serve at the highest level.
Ed :)
Thank you Ed for the info. We are seriously considering the area, given the amazing homes at unbelievable prices. First we have to sell our home here but when the time is right, we will give you a call. Thank you again!
Flag Tue Jan 22, 2013