Liz Zeman, Real Estate Pro in ,

Thinking of relocating to an area where the HS is Pather Creek. Can any one tell me the inside story about the crowding issues. I have a 7th grader

Asked by Liz Zeman, , Tue Jun 29, 2010

and from the wake county web site it seems as if the school is at capacity. I heard that in a few years they may have to go with split sessions. Any one know the true story?

Tracy Santrock’s answer
Overcrowding has been solved in that several of the Northwest Cary schools have been capped for 2014-2015. You will need to check the wcpss.net website for student assignments to see which schools have been capped and which schools are the overflow schools.
As a local mom and not a real estate I have to jump in on this one. In our area we do have busing meaning kids from all over come in and go to various schools. We dont have neighborhood schools like a lot of the country. In other words, you could have kids riding the bus for an hour to get to school and some 5 mins away. Districts are drawn and redrawn fairly often. If you want to ensure that your child gets to go to a specific school you need to move very close to the school. We were worried about this and built a house almost across the street from the school we wanted to ensure the kids would go there. My best advice is check the attendance maps at the Wake County Public Schools website and see for yourself. Just dont assume that since you're 1 mile away that will be their school. Having said that, Cary is a great place to live and the schools are all good. I only wanted to add my 2 cents because you were very specific about Panther Creek and not just any Cary/Apex schools.
Hi Liz, it is always good to call WCPSS to get the latest. I don't think even they will have the 'true story' because everything depends on the actual inflow of students Vs expected projections. As of now, it looks like Panther Creek is doing well compared to many other High Schools under WCPSS. Of course, as the capacity demand increases, they may have to resort to mobile additions, split sessions or capping.

Panther Creek

2009-10 Enrollment - 2239
2009-10 Capacity (SBC/ASCC) - 1,663 /2,275
2008-09 Mobile Units - 0

Green Hope

2009-10 Enrollment - 1979
2009-10 Capacity (SBC/ASCC) - 1,639 /2,113
2008-09 Mobile Units - 17

Leeeseville HS

2009-10 Enrollment - 2501
2009-10 Capacity (SBC/ASCC) - 2,075 /2,363
2008-09 Mobile Units - 12
Web Reference: http://www.RealTriangle.com
For an accurate assessment consider contacting the school district directly and ask all your questions, hear all there is to hear firsthand.