Mazza, Home Buyer in San Diego, CA

Thinking of moving to either Eastlake or Mission Hills. We have one young son, any thoughts of which would a better place to raise a family?

Asked by Mazza, San Diego, CA Wed May 9, 2012

Answers

7
These are substially different neighborhoods with very different types of homes.

Mission Hills is an older neighborhood in central San Diego. It offers a village lifestyle where you can walk to a local coffee shop or restaurant. Homes date back to the early 1900's and are often beautifully restored with a lot of character and charm. It will be the more expensive of the two neighborhoods.

Eastlake is a newer commnity in Chula Vista. It is far less central, but the homes are newer, and you will get much more for your money. Home communities often have pools and rec centers with lots of strip malls and shops that you can drive to. You will probably find more young families in Eastlake, but just kniow you will probbably do more driving.

I invite you to contact me and I can discuss it with you further!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 9, 2012
If you can afford Mission Hills, I would buy there. That is a more desired area and your home will retain value, as there is a lot of inventory in Eastlake. The homes are older, so be prepared for more maintenance, but they are custom built and some are truly to die for. Eastlake is family friendly as well, newer homes, but lots of inventory, different climate (much further east and hotter), but it definitely has its upsides too!

Feel free to contact me directly, I would love to show you homes in both areas, so you can compare for yourself!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 9, 2012
Mission Hills is a more desirable community (illustrated by home prices) due to its caliber of homes, proximity to all of San Diego, character of community and has become a draw to young families. It is significantly more expensive than Eastlake due to these factors. Downsides are high price of homes and home design and layouts that are smaller and tighter and a family an outgrow them quickly.

Eastlake is popular due to the recently built neighborhoods built primarily to attract young families. These homes will be larger and more conducive to today's lifestyles. Newer construction, space to grow into and more of a great room concept is appealing to today's families. Downsides are lack of character and a track feel from planned communities as well as proximity to work areas. One needs to understand the commutes they would face.

With extensive experience in each of the communties, feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to disuss in more detail.

Cheers,

Jason
619-417-1658
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 9, 2012
Excellent summation Jason!
Flag Thu May 10, 2012
Thank you all for your responses, all of which we are taking into consideration. I agree with the lack of character in the newer areas, we are also attracted to older more established areas because of the richer more colorful lifestyle. We are also looking at St. Vincent De Paul as a school we may be interested in by personal referrals. We are more inclined to sending our son to a private school but are not 100% opposed to a public/charter.

Thank you again!!
Mazza,
They each have their advantages, I live in Kensington, which a community much like Mission Hills. Both are centrally located with easy access to all parts of San Diego County. The homes in Kensington and Mission Hills are typically older but that is expected in a well established community. The home prices are higher than in Eastlake. Each home is unique and were not part of a major subdivision. One of the best private schools in San Diego is located in Mission Hills.

Eastlake is a much newer community and many of the homes have Mello Roos assessment in addition to the regular property taxes. The Mello Roos money was used for many public improvements including schools and parks. The schools in Eastlake are newer and typically high tech. The community is nice and usually has a lot of activities for young children.
I would drive through the communities and see what they are like. Drive during the day, on the weekend and at night. You will see that each has their own character and you need to determine which one matches best with your lifestyle.
My personal preference is Mission Hills or Kensington.

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
Mr. Heard, Thank you for your input, we appreciate it. May I ask what private school you are referring to?
Flag Wed May 9, 2012
Hi there, I would personally prefer Mission Hills to Eastlake for many of the reasons already cited by my colleagues. if you would like any of the specifics regarding schools and such, just let me know and I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me at your convenience and be sure to browse my website for homes that are currently available in either area. When do you want to move into your new home?

Cheers,

Glen S. Etherington, Principal Broker, REALTOR
877-223-1448
Calbrokerglen@gmail.com
Glen Logan Associates Realty
Web Reference: http://www.glincus.com
The first thing you need to decide is where you would like your son to go to school, whether it's private or public. Research the major San Diego County school districts to see which better suits your needs. Do you care whether you walk or drive your child to school. You also want to drive around these communities and see what the general feel is: do you want people driving through your neighborhood looking for parking spaces to visit local restaurants or families playing kickball and frisbee in the their front yards and on the residential streets that don't have a ot of through traffic.
Also, think about the proximity of other children in the neighborhood that may end up close friends with your son. It's always nice to just watch your kids walk a few houses down to play with a mate or two. It's also nice to have neighbors with children that you can rely on, if needed to, to ask for babysitting favors!
I moved from Pacific Beach to Mission Valley and finally to Santee for my young children. I wanted a sense of community that focused on children and family, not so much a hip adult lifestyle. The Santee School District has been great too!
Hopefully I've helped a bit but please check out school statistics and area crime rates to further answer your question. Best of luck!

Christa Curtin / The Fox Team
Realtor, SFR
California Options Real Estate
619-787-3779
Christa@TheFoxTeamSD.com