Home Buying in Stamford>Question Details

Bassin49er, Home Buyer in New York, NY

Thinking of buying in Springdale/Glenbrook - pros and cons? Also what are the long term growth potentials?

Asked by Bassin49er, New York, NY Sun Jul 28, 2013

In addition to the this area, our goal would be live in the home/condo for 3-5 years and then move, but keep the property for a rental. How is the rental market in Springdale/Glenbrook? One person I talked to said the area is "tired" What do you think?

Answers

8
Hi Bassn49er, let me know if I can assist you with any mortgage needs or questions you may have.

Fritz Walter
Hi. With regards to your question, both Springdale and Glenbrook have mostly 'pros' and very few 'cons'!

Over recent years both communities have seen tremendous growth in condo and home and commerical development. In addition, planned unit developments or 'PUDs' have sprung up in the area. These are detached homes within a homeowner association which allow a developer to build more units with less land. These offer the advantages of both a condo and a single family home.

Having a spur line train station in both areas has made it extremely convenient for commuters to walk to the train instead of dealing with meters and permits which can often be frustrating.

Also, nice restaurants have made their way into the area even though you are only minutes from downtown Stamford by car, bus, taxi or train.

We have sold several homes and condos in both areas for over 25 years and our clients have been extremely happy living in either community. We also manage over 40 properties in the area and have never had a problem renting to qualified creditworthy tenants. Not everyone wants to live in downtown Stamford as the prices tend to be higher for less square footage.

There is no reason why Glenbrook or Springdale shoudn't be on your list for home or condo!
Hello Bassin49er,
Both areas are fairly easy to rent (when priced based on what the market warrants) because both Springdale and Glenbrook have train stations which is a plus for commuters. The downtown renters typically consist of the younger, single professionals and the folks that prefer a more quieter lifestyle head to other parts of the city depending on their budget is where they land (ie Glenbrook, Springdale, Shippan, Westover etc.).

If you are not currently represented by an agent I would be happy to assist you with your search.

Melodye Colucci, Realtor
http://www.stamfordarearealestate.com
203.667.8077
Bassin49er,

I have been a Stamford Resident for most of my life. I grew up on the West Side, moved to Revonah and then to the Cove area when first married; lived in North Stamford and now live in Glenbrook. I love it here. I am so close to everything. I can get to the beach and to the parkway in about 10 minutes. Everything is at my fingertips, from grocery store, to the mall.

It is my experience that the rental market is very strong here as well as in Springdale. Many of my clients like the proximity of the train stations.

As far as the area being "tired", that's relative. I like seeing some of the older houses still around. Most of the homeowners have pride in their property.

It would be to your benefit to take a tour of the area at different times during the day. You will see bikers , walkers, joggers and moms with strollers. It is a nice place to raise a family.

Louise LiVolsi Petersen
Dear Bassin49er,

Both Springdale and Glenbrook are great communities - Springdale has a little more to offer in the way of amenities/shopping, etc. In fact as I type, Springdale is undergoing a major renovation! New trees, sidewalks with lanterns and flowers. So yes, the area may have been a bit tired, but the City of Stamford is responding by giving it a huge facelift!
The rental market is very strong in both Springdale and Glenbrook. With interest rates still at an all time low, now is definitely the time to make your investment in a new condo. I'd be happy to help!
Catherine Richardson
http://www.catherinerichardson.com
RichardsonC@kw.com
Thank you for your response. Do you see a difference in rental potential with a single family home vs a condo? Are there other areas of stamford that you could recommend?
Flag Mon Jul 29, 2013
Hi Bassin49er,
As Andrew states, the rental market remains to be very strong in Stamford. The city is continuing to develop new rental communities in the downtown area as well as in the south end at Harbor Point. Springdale and Glenbrook have numerous condominium complexes that have walk-to train and other neighborhood amenities offered so continue to be sought after. The complexes may not be as "new" but this does also make them more affordable.

Please, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best wishes!

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
203-536-4802
laurafeghali@prudentialct.com

I would say vibrant. There is a lot going on. We have some great new construction in Glenbrook, that would work great as a rental in a few years, very convenient to the Glenbrook train station. It is a planned unit development, which means it has all the benefits of a small condo community with a much lower maintenance situation and a much easier time when selling. Given the rental trends in Stamford, you would be cash positive when renting. These units sell out quickly. With this community of 4 bedroom, 4 and one half bath town houses with attached garage, there is only one left and only one is finished. It is listing for $529K and would rent for at least $3500.

Please give me a call at 203-912-8626 (cell) if interested.

Richard Schasberger
NewBridge Properties.
richard@newbridge-propeties.com
Hi
Springdale and Glenbrook are beautiful neighborhoods to live and both are fairly easy to rent. Stamford is one of the strongest rental markets in the Country.

Best
Andrew
Prudentisl CT Realty
http://www.andrewdavisct.com
Are their other areas I should also consider to Stamford with the intent to later rent?
Flag Sun Jul 28, 2013