Beverly Smith, Real Estate Pro in 32086

Thinking of buying an Anastasia Island home.

Asked by Beverly Smith, 32086 Fri Jun 19, 2009

Am considering buying a house in Commodores Club. It is a little over 1,400 sq ft, in good condition and I can have it for the low 200's. Would this be smartmove? It would be a vacation home, future retirement home and potential investment property. Will the real estate recovery start on Anastasia Island?

Answers

8
David Kfoury’s answer
It's a great, centrally located neighborhood, however, the fact that short term rentals aren't allowed there hurts its investment potential. The vacation rental market in St. Augustine Beach is currently very strong, so I would recommend buying somewhere that allows both short and long term rentals to bolster your overall profitability and marketability. If you are ok with living in it or renting it long term then I do like the move from a value standpoint.
Commodores Club is a great community and would make a fantastic investment. The homes are nestled on beautiful retention ponds and there is alot of natural Florida foliage throughout the community. The beach is less than a mile away as well and the school system is the best St. Augustine has to offer. Email me at dawn@dawndelivers.net and I'll send you some listings.
Dear Beverly,
The market in St Augustine has always been strongest on Anastasia Island. I have been a buyers agent since 1988 and here since 1993. My only advice is to visit the areas of the island in your price point and decide where you feel most comfortable. Most of the homes in Commodores Club are concrete block and well built by Palmetto Homes, a very reputable local builder. The neighborhood is well maintained, centrally located and has a pool and playground.
If you have more questions or wish to search our island properties which is 32080, please use my site.
Most sincerely
Shelley
Prices are increasing slightly in Anastasia Island and the inventory has been reduced. Investors have started coming back into the market. There are some great properties in your price point in other neighborhoods such as Davis Shores that are undervalued and should have immediate equity. Location is very important in choosing an investment property. I have lived on Anastasia Island 6 years and know the neighborhoods well. Commodores Club is not the best location you could choose in your price point.
Hi, Beverly!!!
As a real estate agent, property investor and fellow resident of Anastasia Island--you will absolutely love living in St Augustine! I have invested in local property here for close to 14 years, specializing in downtown and on the island--especially waterfront. We live on the intraocoastal--looking back at town--and couldn't be happier! Homes run slightly higher than other parts of Northeast Florida, as the quality of life and all that St Aug offers is head and shoulders above outlying communities.
The prices haven't seemed this affordable since I first moved here in 1996. Cute island houses start at about $200,000. Waterfront starts at $800,000. Townhomes and condos cheaper. Wish you lots of luck--email me if I might be able to help you!
CeCe Reigle
Century 21 A1A Realty
(904) 315-3150
Hi Beverly,

The Commodores Club is nice but it is a neighborhood that is under valued for a reason. I have had several listings in that neighborhood and it is always a hard sale. Commodores Club will always be under valued then the rest of Anastasia Island. Short term rentals is NOT an option in this neighborhood.

The Island is already turning around for an investment. If you are looking for an investment you will be better off buying in another neighborhood on the island then the Commodores Club.

I hope this helps.

It's a good life,

John McElroy
904-540-9500
Premier Properties
Realty Group Inc
http://www.JohnMyHomeAgent.com
JohnMyHomeAgent@Gmail.com

John McElroy was the RE/MAX Rookie of the Year for 2007. In 2008, John finished in the top 30 Realtors for St Johns County and was awarded the prestigious RE/MAX 100% Club Award. Jacksonville Homebuyer Magazine named John a FIVE STAR Best in Client Satisfaction Real Estate Agent for 2009. John specializes in helping sellers and buyers find their way in this difficult market.
Actually, Beverly... the real estate recover has already started in Anastasia Island. In the last several months the inventory has dropped sharply and the median price has gone up by about 9% in the past 4 months.

Take a look at this website for more information about the Anastasia Island market and a more in depth market analysis report.
Your real estate agent should be able to pull comps in that subdivision (i.e. what has sold in the past few months and for how much) and tell you if it would be a good buy. If you don't have an agent, I'll be happy to do this work for you!

Phil Orrill
Broker-Associate
New World Realty & Property Management, Inc
St Augustine, Florida
Cell: (904) 377-1016
Certified International Property Specialist (CIPS)
Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR)
Transnational Referral Certification (TRC)
http://www.homesinstaug.com