Home Buying in Shermans Dale>Question Details

Relocator, Home Buyer in Shermans Dale, PA

Thinking about moving to the Harrisburg, PA area and have found houses of interest in Shermans Dale. How is this area? Are the schools good? Safe?

Asked by Relocator, Shermans Dale, PA Sun Dec 20, 2009

Currently live in Shermans Dale and have children in public schools. The area is GREAT for a family to grow up in. Safe and friendly, on a first name basis with all the local businesses, however the school system here is not the best. I have many teacher friends in the area and they are not happy either. School District makes poor choices and most of which do not benefit the kids or teachers. We bought our house here 3 years ago and where also told to check out the school status websites, talking with the locals you will find the opinion is not even close to what the sites tell you. Unfortunately we found this out after buying. Good luck in your home search!
This area still has a rural feel but is a growth area. Shermansdale sits at the southern edge of Perry County,the Harrisburg area's most "country county". Perry County is finally getting it's first traffic light--due to be operation in February 2010! (Though this is at the opposite end of the county from Shermans Dale!

Clients of mine that have purchased in Perry County have been generally pleased with the school system. I encourage you to check the various specialized school report sites for specifics. While Perry County is no hotbed of drugs and crime, it seems to make its way into the papers every so often.

People attracted to Perry County value some space around them, and kind of share that "don't fence me in" sort of sentiment. While there are certainly still some good buys here, I see the pricing narrowing between Perry and the rest of the Harrisburg area. Since Shermans Dale is one of the most accesible to jobs areas of Perry County, I believe I see it even more here.

For Target/Costco/Starbucks/Barnes & Noble type shopping, you'll be doing a really easy trek to close by Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill or Harrisburg. But for a really decent hoagie on made-today bread, or a session at Curves, you can now do it all in Shermans Dale!
Hi! Shermans Dale offers a better school system than quite a few of the other surrounding schools (I went to school there). ;) It also offers a much lower cost of living than Harrisburg and yet is a short commute. You can surround yourself with privacy in the form of a lot of a few acres for a fraction of properties outside of this area. I grew up there and have lived all over the world but Shermans Dale always feels like a good place to come back to.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have about the area.

Take care,