Miami or Bus…, Other/Just Looking in Miami Beach, FL

Thinking about moving to Miami Beach or Miami and I wanted to know if it was better to rent or buy?

Asked by Miami or Bust!, Miami Beach, FL Fri Apr 25, 2014

My budget to rent would be $1400 for a studio or one bedroom and my budget to buy would be $250,000 for a one bedroom condo. Just some additional information:
- I would be selling another home so getting a mortgage wouldn't be an obstacle.
- I have a 75lb English Bulldog, a non-aggressive breed, but limits where I can live.
- I would be putting 30% on the purchase.
- I am not fancy so buying an older 1970's style condo is my speed.
- I cannot figure out what "normal" HOA fees or insurance rates are for the area.
- And how does everyone handle hurricanes in Miami Beach?

Any suggestions or tips would be great.
Thank, Kevin

Answers

1
Hello Kevin,

Great questions!

The dog not allowed in Miami Dade county is a pitbull.
Most buildings limit by pounds and some by breeds asking for the picture of the dog...
There are also buildings that don't allow dogs at all.

Condo association also tend to change the rules, so we got to call them and ask, to make sure.

Octagon Towers are ok with dogs 75lbs or less. They do have a special assessment of $140/mo. until 2019, and there are no active listings there at the moment, on 04.28.14. Flamingo So. Beach - you can rent there, paying $100 more per month for your pet ($50 for a smaller dog), and there is a $600 pet fee (one time). But, you can't buy - as condo rules don't allow dogs larger than 40 lbs.

There are other areas - in Brickell and Sunny Isles Beach that allow large dogs.
Porto Bellagio on Sunny Isles is great - it's a newer building with beautiful amenities, and you can buy a 1br at 250K.

Opera Tower allows large dogs, and it's in a great location in Downtown.

However, getting a mortgage is not an easy task in Miami - because of the lenders being very strict re. owner occupancy, default ratios, reserves, pending litigations, the right of first refusal etc.
Easiest way to buy is a Homepath foreclosure - you can buy in any building through Homepath financing, first checking their policy. Or, you can go through a non-standard lender - who might lend in the building that allows large dogs - but their rate will be higher.

Based on this, I feel it is easier for you to buy (while the prices are still affordable, as well as rates),
looking at large dog friendly buildings. If you don't like anything, then rent and continue looking.

Hope this was helpful,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
IrinaKaran@gmail.com