Home Buying in Liberty>Question Details

Tema, Home Buyer in Wanaque, NJ

Thinking about buying a house in Liberty NY. Can anyone tell me if it's a good place to raise kids? How are the schools? Any info is appreciated?

Asked by Tema, Wanaque, NJ Mon Mar 31, 2014

Answers

7
Definitely not a good place to raise kids. There is just so little for the kids to do. We have family here so it made life a bit easier to manage. If you move here you will have to be prepared to spend LOTS of time in the car going to and from activities that are not in the area.
We are looking forward to moving to a more active area soon.
you could look all over the internet this is an interesting clip http://hudsonvalley.twcnews.com/content/news/663199/sullivan… please contact me for more info
I've raised two smart kids here, both attending college now, but the schools are like schools everywhere in the tri-state area, whether with or without too much money: great (but not as enriching as home) until about grade three; best of intentions and some fine staff simply cannot buck the system, which is built to churn out, at the very best, more nice little worker bee underinformed voters utterly lacking in critical thinking skills -- and of course at worst, drug addicts without a chance, of which we gots lots.

In other words, whether the school system is populated by the over-privileged or not, it largely is what you make of it. You absolutely canNOT keep too close an eye on their friends, but as long as the interactions at home are interesting and feed their heads, they'll want more of that and try to choose accordingly; the selection isn't as large as some, but it's OK. They'll gain a taste of what street-smarts are, and of why it's good not to need them, and of sympathy for the downtrodden -- all good things. The air is pretty clean and likely to stay so.

Oops. I'd bet this doesn't stay up long; too bad, it should. Oh, well. Cheers
I am not a realtor. I live in Sullivan County, about 15 miles from Liberty. There are some nice areas with
lovely homes. However, taxes are very high ; quite a few tax foreclosures each year. I suggest looking inthe watershed towns , if cost is a factor,where taxes are low due to NYC contributions for the DEP, reservoir systems. Much land has bbeen acquired by the city to have more control over the sources that feed the reservoirs. This creates lots of pristine acres surrounding homes (like mine) and protected spaces for hiking, hunting and fishing.
Hi my name is Debi, I AM NOT A REALTOR but was at one time. Liberty has a lot of nice areas and you can get some "bang-for-your-buck". Use all the info on this site when you find something appealing...after you check bedrooms, bathrooms, sq.ft. etc. When you go down to the Map (whigh you can move to all areas & zoom) Check the word "CRIMES" if you see more than 2, STAY AWAY.. then move the map, check CRIMES again, you will catch on. It also shows Schools & ratings of them. This site gives you all but Taxes... but once you know a few you will catch on. If you intend to stay anywhere Long Term, know what you want.. a Lake, River, Property etc. I actually have been looking and I am moving to the outskirts of Port Jervis, I don't have young children but this house allows me to have my small store. I am moving out of Wawayanda, outskirts of Middletown. Location here is great, close to everything, 1 hr. 15 to NYC. Minisink is an excellent School District. All depends on what you can afford too. This is still your Market if you have good Credit! If I can answer any questions for you or you would like any opinions I would be more than happy to talk to you, being a Store owner (mini-store at the moment, 3 rooms in my House,lol) I am always talking to people. Feel free: Debi (914) 443-8958 Littledebi16@gmail.com ( I don't use the computer often ) Best of Luck to you and Yours.
Good morning Tema,

We real estate professionals and mortgage professionals are not permitted to discuss specifics of a community or schools due to Fair Housing Act regulations. I'd recommend you can conduct your own research using City-Data.com

Trevor Curran