Bart Betz, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

Things to watch out for in older Gladstone / Milwaukie, OR homes

Asked by Bart Betz, Portland, OR Wed Aug 22, 2012

I'm looking at homes in the Gladstone neighborhoods of Sherwood Forest, Oatfield, and neighboring areas (I like homes up in the hilly parts of Gladstone) What are some things to "watch out" for with these 1960's & 1970's homes in this area? Are there Asbestos issues, dry rot, shoddy construction? Please advise.

Answers

1
Cornerstone Group NW’s answer
Hi Bart - I live in Gladstone myself.....love it here! Chatauqua Festival in early August is always very fun. Many of the homes in the area you are asking about were built as split entry or ranch style homes in the 70's and 80's and aren't likely to have asbestos issues. I've been in quite a few of these homes over the years and sold several - all appear to have been built with fairly good quality construction. What varies between them is how well they have been taken care of by occupants.....and this will be the issue with any home you look at anywhere, Best advice is to make sure you have a great home inspector once you get an offer accepted on a home - they will be able to tell you the answers to all of the questions you've asked...but specific to the home you are buying. My favorite home inspector also lives in Gladstone and would be a good resource for you. If you'd like his name/number, just let me know. My team would be happy to help with anything you need.

Kelly Gebler, Principal Broker/Owner
Cornerstone Group NW @ Keller Williams Realty
http://www.CornerstoneGroupNW.com
Yell if you need any help!
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
Nope, no relation, but you're right...it's not a very common name.
I'll keep you in mind when I start hunting homes. First I need to get my own house ready to sell, which is still a work in progress! Take care
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
Hi again Bart - you aren't by chance related to a Terry Betz are you? Nice guy - used to work with him many years ago at the Dept of Justice. Betz is not a real common name! Anyway - there are wooded areas scattered all over here. I'm back behind the high school at the end of a dead end street and am surrounded by trees. Very peaceful. If you are looking for a home that's been updated - you'll find many of those here as well for some screaming deals. Would love to help!
Flag Fri Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply Kelly. I currently own a home in University Park (N Portland) and am shocked how much home (and lot size) you can buy in Gladstone! I really love how wooded and mature the neighborhoods are. Seems like the homes above Oakridge road are my favorites. I know getting a really good price on a larger home is going to come with some updating requirements, but I'm very interested in the area, as it's close to my workplace. Any other areas close by that have this terrain and wooded lots?
Flag Thu Aug 23, 2012