Suzyb, Home Owner in 94530

There's a property I've always liked. It is not for sale, but I want to contact the owner to see if he might be interested in selling. How?

Asked by Suzyb, 94530 Wed Aug 31, 2011

do I do it?

Answers

15
You have some good answers here, and I would try and catch the owner and have a voice to voice. If that is not possible, then you can mail a letter, however, you may not get a response if they are not interested.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
Hello Suzy, there are some good answers below. I agree with John A and would avoid the snail mail method. Try and catch the owner outside in the yard so you can start a conversation without having to knock on their door.

Web Reference: http://www.ajsocalteam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
I agree, again, with John A. The purpose of a letter, meeting, or door knocking is to to first develop a line of communication before you start talking about a sale. If you send a letter that gets the owner thinking about selling, a smart fellow might say to himself "If this guy is offering this much, it's probably a lowball and I could do better on the open market." As a buyer with an unsolicited offer, you need to hook the owner into doing business with you before you get into the specifics of the deal. A letter from a stranger, whether handwritten or typed, could backfire. Better to not become a stranger first. My preferred approach is to make the seller my "partner" in the process.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 3, 2011
I like John A's answer - do your homework before knocking on the door. Have an acquisition strategy and negotiating plan already prepared so that if the owner says "ok, what are you offering me?" you can go right into your pitch. I do suggest that you hire an agent to help you through the process, though, and that you recommend to the owner that he obtain his own agent, too.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 1, 2011
All these answers are spot on............................But, I'd start with a title search first. Contact a title company in the area where the home is located and request a property profile. It may cost you a buck or two but it's worth its weight in gold.

The profile will give you all the facts and issues regarding the property. Loans, balances, judgments, liens, etc. Then you'll have some background on the property that will better arm and prepare you in your endeavor to make an intelligent introduction and perhaps even an offer.

Information and knowledge can make or break a deal. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
Suzyb:

Suggestions below are fine.... but, how do you know if there is another property for sale that you might ADORE as opposed to like?

MLS Data Accuracy – Where to search if you’re “without Realtor®”
http://www.trulia.com/blog/steve_ornellas_mba_re_mastersgri/…

-Steve
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
I agree with Anna. A special note from you to the owners would be a good touch and one never knows. Owners might keep it and contact you when they are ready to sell or they will remember you if they decide to put the house on the market and you offer on it. A first good impression is always good., As far as getting the owner's info contact I can definitely help you and be the intermediary.

Catherine Krueger
Marvin Gardens Real Estate
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 31, 2011
It is listed on records and you can call them or write them or go to their address and ask them, or an email address will be available in some records in the county and online. It is done all the time. If you are interested in a property though it is easier to buy one that is already listed. If you want to fit a new building to your own needs and budget use an Architect. I usually locate property to suit a need.
Suzy,

Letters are fine, as some said, owners get soliciations all the time, especically from agents. Remember tagents wouldn't mail them if they didn't work. You are seeing one of the challenges of being an agent and that is getting to sellers, then motivating them to act. If you write a letter to a single homeowner make sure you be personal and conversational and let them know who you are and your interest in the property. Hand written is better than Word doc. Include your email and phone number as well.

I do believe that going to the door is superior though. Personal contact owner to "owner" is always better.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Suzy,

Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
Personally, I don't totally agree with a letter. First, the recipient may just consider it a fancy form of junk mail and toss it before they ever read it. One trend in advertising today is via the "personal touch". A hand written envelope. Looks like a personal letter. Most of them never get read and meanwhile you wasted a lot of time and effort.

Second, it sets the homeowner up with ammunition (information and knowledge or TMI) early on that they can use against you during the negotiation process.

Third, over 95% of all RE deals today start online or in person.

The element of surprise with astute knowledge of the subject matter always gets someone's attention. A knock on the door with a friendly face may get someone's attention much faster than belaboring the issue with our antiquated Snail Mail service. Just my opinion
I would send a letter before knocking on the door. Some of us might take your offer as a compliment, but none of us can predict how someone will act in an odd situation.

You have to admit it should catch most people off guard when someone shows up at the front door knowing all about the house and wanting to purchase it. Try sending a letter to see if you get a response, just to be on the safer side and possibly improve your chances.
Anna's answer is right on
good luck
Hi, I would send them a letter showing your appreciation for their home and see if they may have some interest in selling.

Chris
You can try knocking on the door; you can send a short note to the address expressing your interest in purchasing the property; or you can ask any local agent to approach the seller on your behalf....