Home Buying in Oak Grove>Question Details

Julie, Home Buyer in Saint Louis, MO

There is a home in the St. Louis area that I am attempting to buy, which is corporate owned. The home is

Asked by Julie, Saint Louis, MO Sun Jan 20, 2008

listed for $251,000. Like many other markets, real estate is moving extremely slow around this area. My question is what to begin with for an offer on the home? I planned to offer 221k but my agent is telling me that may be too low. Should it be closer to what I am willing to pay for it?

If the market is slow and you're not worried about a better offer coming in while you're negotiating, offer $221K and see what happens. The seller can always counter back and the two of you can negotiate to a level you're comfortable with. Keep in mind though, if you're set on buying this particular home and another offer comes in and gets accepted at a price you would have paid, you're going to kick yourself.
That just happened to the client of a colleague of mine for a home that has been sitting on the market over 100 days. Good Luck!