Home Buying in Plano>Question Details

careerpath4, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

There are rating discrepancy between Trulia, greatschool.org, and Texas Education Agency. Which one is more accurate?

Asked by careerpath4, Dallas, TX Mon Jun 25, 2012

There are rating discrepancy between Trulia, greatschool.org, and Texas Education Agency. Which one is more accurate? For example, I known and have heard from many people that Plano East Senior HS is NOT nearly as academic well known as Plano Senior HS or Plano West Senior HS. But Texas Education Agency rated all three of those schools as Recognized, when Texas Education Agency should have been the most reliable source to go by. Anyone have a better resource or know which one is more accurate and reliable resource to find out true school ratings?

Answers

7
Are you aware of how school ratings are calculated and presented on Trulia?
How about are you aware of the factors used by the Texas Education Agency?
IF they are not IDENTICAL in the method, how can they be discrepant?
Does the number of students taking the SAT or ACT reflective of anything meaningful?. What you really want to know are the scores to these college entrance exams! Are they shown?

Your best bet is to determine the measures most useful to you in making such an evaluation. Then call the school. These PHD's have made an art of evading direct questions.
Best of success in finding your answers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 25, 2012
Public Education in general is less than adequate, however, some areas are less inadequate than others. I wouldn't be inclined to trust any goverrnment education agency's ratings. Are your children going to pursue higher education in academic setting, or are they more vocationally oriented. If it is the latter, I would look for schools which offer a little taste of the vocation your student would be pursuing. If you decide to homeschool, you can buy more house for less money in areas not known for their stellar academics, like the City of Dallas. DISD schools are known for their questionable, at best, value. You can buy more house for the money in the DISD than the Plano ISD. You will pay a premium and higher taxes for a home in a "better" school district.
Greatschools.org is a rating system that uses a 5 star rating system with subjective ratings provided by parents. It is my understanding that it does not rely on testing data -only parent perceptions and experiences. I advise my clients to rely on Texas Education Agency rating information more so than the private sites. This month's D Magazine shows the average SAT score for each area suburb in its ratings also a good resource.
Different agencies use different method of rating the school. It's best that you determine which one suites you best. You may want to set up a time to meet with the school principal and ask her/him any questions you may have. In this manner you got to see the school also from the inside.

I hope that helps!

Susie Kay, Realtor®
GRI, CHMS, SFR
Residential/Commercial/Investment
English-Indonesian-Hokkien
------------------------------------------------------------------
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240
469-371-2899
susie_k@att.net

http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
As far as I know they all use different scales, so you're right the ratings may come out different.

I'd visit each school and see which one you feel great about. Kids do well in different environments and you know your kids best. They may also have different programs that may be of interest to your student.

You may also have some different price points of homes to consider. Probably on average homes in East Plano will be less than ones in West Plano, if price makes a different to you.

You can search for homes by school at my website:
http://www.metroplexhomesalesinfo.com/listings/areas/46921/s…

However we always suggest this as a start and to check directly with schools for zoning if you have a preference.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Hi, I know how annoying it can be getting conflicting information, it's almost like everry news station having a different weather forecast. I use http://www.SchoolDigger.com and http://www.SchoolMatters.com. Typically the reports are based upon socio-economics, test scores, expenditure per student but other criteria varies from county to county.

Chris
To see where the Plano senior high schools rank on the list of the 1,000 best public high schools in the nation, go to the following website:

http://planowest.weebly.com/national-school-ranking.html