Homebird, Home Buyer in 07302

There are overhead power lines almost everywhere in North Edison. Research has shown continued exposure to them may cause cancer / leukemia.

Asked by Homebird, 07302 Sun Jun 3, 2012

I purchased an EMF meter and saw that pretty much the whole of Rt 27 has high radiation far exceeding the safe limit (2.5 mG) due to the lines. Many lanes have high radiation as well depending on the type of power lines (main vs subordinate). One thing to note is that most of the radiation is on the side walk / front yards. So, as long as people dont spend most of their time on their front yards or walking on the streets, they should be fine. The risk and the eyesore factor still exist though. I would like to know other people's perspectives and if this was a factor in their home purchase, especially those with kids. I spoke to a homeowner about this and he said every home would sell for the right price. But, every home in North Edison is overpriced.

Answers

13
And your point is? Everything you stated as I see is inconclusive. There are people out there that say the power lines are forms of positive energy and good for you. Yes, I have heard some people say that.

"We want to buy the best homes in the best school districts that our money can buy for our kids, but not at the expense of their health."

Look in another town if you are not happy. This is America land of free will.

There are many, many school districts in surrounding counties that do not have the power lines that you fear. But it seems as though you are just barking at the moon here, Are you trying to do something to get the township to discount the homes or something? What is your point?

"I've read somewhere that you can sue the power company"

AAaahhhhh, now the point is coming....God Bless America and our legal system, eh?

I kind of think it fitting that a town like Edison, home of Thomas Edison would have a whole bunch of electric towers..

Thomas Edison was an unknown young inventor when he moved his experimental facilities to the tiny village of Menlo Park, New Jersey, in 1876. Then, in a six-year burst of astonishing creativity, he patented approximately 400 inventions, including the phonograph and devices for electric light and power generation, and he revolutionized the process of invention itself. Known around the world as the Wizard of Menlo Park, Edison made himself and Menlo Park famous.
Be nice ... and if you can't, look into anger management.
Flag Mon Sep 30, 2013
Homebird,

I agree with John, what's the point of your posting? To see if you can sue the power company because of overhead lines?

The entire town of Edison for the most part has overhead wires and I don't think there are any plans for a major capital improvement expenditure to bury all the lines either by the power companies or the township. Your comment about buying a house in Edison endangering children is a bit offensive. I have lived here since 1983, had both my kids here, know literally 1000's of people and their children, and have never heard of one incident of illness blamed on EMF waves from secondary transmission line EMF emissions. I bet your microwave at home produces high EMF readings as well.

As far as "every house in North Edison is overpriced", where are you getting that information and how do you justify your statement? If that were the case, then nothing in North Edison would close because nothing would appraise. FYI, there were 23 closing in North Edison within the last 30 days and the average sales price was 96% of list. Hardly an overpricing situation, and right on target for most list to sale price ratios.

For some reason I am getting the feeling that this Edison bashing is a case of sour grapes. Either you lost a house (or two or three) in Edison by lowballing offers because "everything is over priced", or there were houses you wanted but were not in your price range since "Edison is overpriced"

If you don't want to buy a house in an area that has overhead lines because of your worries, then don't buy in those towns, but don't malign ANY township because of your concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Homebird, the only question I see you posting is does anyone have any knowledge about the power lines in Edison. If that is the extent I suggest you contact the local power provider to enquire if they have plans to bury the lines. If you are referring to the health risks, these have been debated for about 20 years. My municipality waived permit fees of my moving my home back from the lines when they increased the size of over head line capacity. Since you have invested in a gauss meter I suggest you go around your current house and check readings of the various devices and look for hot spots. You might find elevated readings related to your appliances in operation. Does a high level indicate a reduced value for property? I suggest you take your meter down some of the most expensive areas in Manhattan, I suspect you will find high readings there too. The difference is often out of sight out of mind. (thats why the towers effect value, they certainly arent out of sight)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 4, 2012
Again, I applaud your tenacity and dedication:

What is your goal;

To buy a house in Edison with no power lines nearby?
or,
To eliminate all the overhead power lines in Edison?

We are getting them underground, slowly but surely.

You would think that one of the more expensive areas would be among the first to do it.
But, in the meantime.....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
My question is about the omnipresent overhead power lines in residential areas in Edison. I'm looking for people with the knowhow about them in Edison, what the city is doing about them, if anyone has knowledge of any previous research done in Edison. So please limit your answers to them only. If anyone is looking to purchase homes in Edison, I would also like to take this opportunity to ask them to be mindful of this. We want to buy the best homes in the best school districts that our money can buy for our kids, but not at the expense of their health.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
What's your question and where did you get your information that every home in North Edison is overpriced?
There have been 79 closings in North Edison in 2012 so they can't all be overpriced otherwise no one would buy them.
Web Reference: http://www.PSPreal.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 3, 2012
@ Ron Thomas

As an agent from Fresno California how can you comment on a question directed at a specific city here in NJ, and where do you get the nerve to say:

" Perhaps you should be blaming the City of Edison for being so far behind the times that they cannot bury those lines.
How about blaming all the people who have bought, paying those exorbitant prices for obvious sub-standard housing "

Sub-standard housing? Just because there are overhead SECONDARY power lines? How the heck would you know what the housing was like in Edison when you are in Fresno? I hate to break the news to you, but I just drove all over central NJ yesterday and guess what...a majority of the towns have overhead lines, including some of the "ritzier towns" where the per capita income ranks #10 in the country !!!

Exorbitant prices?? This coming from a man who lives in a state with ridiculously high housing prices and property taxes? Our town is close to NYC transportation (NY is a major employer of or residents), major highways, and has great schools. You pay for the priviledge of living in the suburbs with great schools, transportation options, and being close to your job too. It's all a matter of what means more to you...low purchase price and living in the boondocks, or higher prices and convenience of commute etc.

@ Thirstyfish,

Houses are selling like hotcakes but are overpriced? THAT makes a lot of sense. Guess it depends on your perspective...are you a buyer or a seller? You got 4 x your purchase price so I guess your homes WASN"T overpriced, but I bet the buyer felt it was overpriced and tried to get it for as little as humanly possible. The market will only bear what a BUYER is willing to pay for a specific home.

Houses near HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSMISSION TOWERS (like Roxy) sell for less than a competitor a few blocks away?...YUP...and they are priced accordingly, but they DO sell...otherwise we'd have a lot of vacant/vandalized homes in those areas.

Houses on a street where there are overhead wires bringing electricity into the house are all overpriced? In some cases yes, (but that's the seller and listing agents fault for not heeding the comparables) but those lines are not a factor in price to just about everyone but Homebird.

I will reitereate, if you don't want to buy a house in NJ with power line poles on the street, don't buy one. Pricing depends on recent comparable sales, and factors like location, # of rooms, style of home, upgrades, lot size, amenities, etc., (and yes if there are tranmission towers in your backyard).
Especially in this market (and with internet savvy buyers) an overpriced home will not sell, or will eventually sell for less than original list. I still think that this is a sour grapes situation and the houses HOmebird and are not within reach so they are "all overpriced". There's plenty of reasonably priced resale homes in North Edison, and Edison in general, but if you want the brand new, 4000sf houses, you are going to pay for that.
Wow,
something is over priced and sells like hot cakes ?? Common sense would indicate if selling well, they arent over priced for the market, even with the power lines etc. As an agent I dont lprefer to sell houses under power lines, adjacent to gas lines, rail lines or major highways. WElcome to NJ. Throw in radon, air ports and super fund sites while you are at it. The fact is properties sell when priced correctly for condition and location and the factors we are talking about is location here. Realize if a conclusive study comes out to suggest a problem exists, the market will adjust (remember asbestos,formaldehyde , mold...?) Pricing also varies on style of homes depending upon - you got it, location. Over priced ??? maybe tomorrow all homes will turn out to have been overpriced, maybe not.
This is getting ridiculous:

Are blaming Reators for the high prices and the overhead power lines, or what?

And you are singling our the neighborhood power lines, not the HIGH VOLTAGE lines!

Perhaps you should be blaming the City of Edison for being so far behind the times that they cannot bury those lines.
How about blaming all the people who have bought, paying those exorbitant prices for obvious sub-standard housing!
I have to agree with Homebird regarding both overpriced and overhead wires issues. Most of the other responses seem to be from agents/realtors who make money by selling these overpriced houses.

Simple question to all the agents - Why are the houses around Roxy ave. priced so less compared to similar
houses in rest of the north edison? Simple answer, high tension overhead power lines run along Roxy ave.

Perhaps, Homebird could have better articulated his/her point , regardless, most the responding agents seem to go after homebird's way of posting rather then the facts. The fact is - North edison houses are overpriced but they sell like hot cake's. I sold my north edison house recently after 13 years for over 4 time the purchase price and moved to a bigger better new house in north edison.
Ron - The research, inconclusive as they may be, depends on which source you look at. For example, read the following: http://emf.mercola.com/sites/emf/emf-dangers.aspx

Again, I'm not talking about the giant metal transformers that may dot highways. They are a bigger threat. I'm talking about the tall electric poles that supply power to residential areas in Edison. Newer towns in NJ have them buried underground. However, older towns like Edison have them overhead. I've read somewhere that you can sue the power company to bury them if you can show the radiation is high. I would like to understand if there is any information on this floating around. I'm sure I'm not the first person asking this question in Edison.
IT DEPEND ON YOUR THINKING.
AS CANCER CAN CAUSE BY SO MANY THINGS,SMOKING DRINKING OR SOME DRUGS
PEOPLE USE FOR NO REASONS.SOME PAIN KILLERS, ASBESTOS AND LIST GOES ON.
SO WE HAVE TO THINK WHERE IS SAFE TO LIVE.
BUT THERE ARE SO MANY HOMES WHICH ARE ON OTHER SIDE OF LANE WHERE IS
NO NO HIGHTENSION LINE.
PRICES IN EDISON ARE LOW ,PLUS INTREST RATES ARE VERY LOW
AND SCHOOLS AREGOOD AND EAZY TRANSPORTAION TO NY.
SO CALL ME IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS.OR VISIT TO VIEW 100000S OF HOMES
http://WWW.NORTHEDISONHOUSES.COM
GOOD LUCK
VERY GOOD QUESTION
We applaud your tenacity and dedication:

If you have a serious problem with the Power Lines, then you shouldn't live there.

The last article that I read, indicated that nobody had ever proved a connection (pun)

Good luck and may God bless