Home Buying in Nyack>Question Details

Suzy Allman, Home Buyer in Rye, NY

There are a lot of homes for sale on River Road in Nyack and Grandview, and I'm wondering: how did these homes fare through Sandy? Do they flood?

Asked by Suzy Allman, Rye, NY Wed Feb 27, 2013

Answers

3
Daniela Staub’s answer
Unfortunately, yes, homes on the river did flood during Sandy. Being on the water is beautiful and desirable but you must be willing to take the chance that once in a great while things may happen. I have a property in Nyack that's right across the street from the river and one block from downtown Nyack with amazing views yet it suffered no water damage from Sandy and only had a few roof tiles blown off by the storm. Please let me know if you need more specific information. 845-548-2245
Hi Suzy,

The view of the Tappan Zee Bridge and the Hudson River from many homes in the Nyack and Grandview area can be wonderful. It is not necessary to be right on the river to enjoy the ambiance of a river town such as Nyack and Piermont. I do agree with the others who have written that during superstorm Sandy there was a great deal of flooding in these river towns but of course that was an unusual storm. Still, it is important to decide whether you are willing to take the risk in order to be "up close and personal" with the might Hudson, should another disastrous weather pattern occur. Please call me at 914-588-2365 if you are interested in buying a home in one of Rockland County's great river towns and I will be delighted to help you buy one.

Take care,Ellen
Hi Suzy,

Some of the properties located on the river side were flooded and even destroyed. After Sandy it's definitely better to be near the water but not exactly on the water. I have a listing on 35 River Rd, which is not on the river side of River Rd, and it survived Sandy just fine.

Julia Kushnir
Kennedy&Kennedy Real Estate
(845) 598-6909
jskushnir@gmail.com