Home Buying in South Boston>Question Details

Jess, Home Buyer in Boston, MA

The west side of South Boston is high in crime but the condo prices are high as most condos on the market now are renovated inside.

Asked by Jess, Boston, MA Wed Feb 27, 2013

Do you see that there is gentrification going on in the area? Can you foresee the crime rate going down and thus the house prices getting higher because of this?about your question (optional)

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3110372534-120-W-7th-St-302-B…

Answers

10
Hi Jess,

Your opinion is the most important.
Drive around and meet people.
Ask those who live there.
Interview the school professionals, coaches, police in the area, etc.
Walk and talk.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
I would check with the local authorities for their latest statistics as we as broker's/agent could not comment. I lived in South Boston for over 5 years and I loved it.

Best Of Luck
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
I concur with Rafael for the most part. South Boston is one of the area's hottest markets. City Point / The East Side was the first of the established residential neighborhoods in South Boston to see rapid price gains and development over the past 5-7 years or so. I've watched Andrew Square real estate develop at an incredible rate in just the past couple years, driven by what is happening on the East Side and the Waterfront neighborhoods. Will the West Side be next? We'll have to wait and see, as Rafael said. There needs to be more desirable housing on the market to deal with the large increase in demand.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Prices are always going to be driven by the market and what buyers perceive of the property and the location so its more of just waiting to see what continues to happen with the market. From what I see going on now is that prices are steadily going up pretty much everywhere causing buyers to look for the best deals therefore causing for places that were less desirable at one point to me be more desirable and changing the whole aspect of the community, people who live there, and the urge for people to be more proactive and be more involved in their community.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Gentrification is definitely occurring in South Boston. Ask any of the locals and they will tell you. Overall, South Boston's prices are back above where they were before the crash. The development of the Seaport district on the waterfront of the east side will continue bringing prices up over the coming years. The west side of South Boston will always be behind the east side, but as triple-deckers continue being converted into condos and luxury buildings are built in the Seaport district, gentrification will continue and the west side will benefit from that as you suggested.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
Southie has seen slow growth in sale prices since the crash, but more properties are being snatched up to new owners at a higher rate. Take a trip through town and you will certainly see positive growth in rehabs as well as new buildings. The short return is minimal but I think it is a good long term bet.
Web Reference: http://www.matames.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 27, 2013
The west side is far more industrial and has a higher crime rate. The east side is residential, nearer the ocean and just a better place to live. ( I live there now)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 24, 2013
The "high in crime" statement is somewhat silly as the west side is pretty big. I live and have a business on West Broadway near the T stop and the neighborhood has very little crime. I think there is more crime as you move towards Andrew Square, but that's an entirely different neighborhood. I suggest exploring before you choose a specific neighborhood.
All, thank you for your replies. I've moved to Boston recently and am trying to find a desirable location to buy a condo where I will undoubtedly profit from in the future. It's interesting to hear from real estate professionals your take on the situation. I appreciate your input.