Ben Jones, Home Buyer in 20815

The sellers provided a home warranty with our recent home purchase but just discovered it's only thru 12/09.

Asked by Ben Jones, 20815 Tue Aug 4, 2009

We were under the impression that the warranty covers the 1st year of ownership but don't see that anywhere in writing (we used the standard Regional Sales Contract). We have a call into our realtor but I wanted to see what others thought. Thanks!

Answers

5
Hi Ben

Glad to hear your good news!
Enjoy life in your new home!

Best wishes,
Debbie
Thanks everyone! Turns out the home warranty company is just not on the ball and hadn't updated their systems (even though they had cashed the sellers' check!). It was a continuation of their existing policy and it runs for a year from settlement.
Unless the Seller had an existing policy, most of not all warranties are offered for a year. It sounds like the policy was just transferred with the remaining months rather than an additional year added. You should look at your contract to see what exactly you asked for. Your Agent should be able to work things out even if it is after closing.
Ania
AniaMiller@kw.com
443-336-8206
Hi Ben
I have a listing that just went under contract. The sellers already had a home warranty on the home when I listed it. Their policy is paid up through their anniversary date which is May, 2010. The buyers will get this warranty (we are clsioing in Oct), but it will only be valid thru May, after which they can purchase the warranty for another year. Perhaps this is the case with your home. We told the buyers about the partial year coverage in advance.

Is the warranty with American Home Shield? If it is, and the sellers took it out when they first listed the home, it shoud transfer to you for a year following the closing. If it was already in place, then it might be a similar situation as my client's home.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
Ben,

Almost all home warranty companies that I have dealt with do cover a full year. You should have received a copy of the policy/brochure explaining the coverage. It is also possible that the seller had coverage beginning from the listing date. If the listing date was in 12/08, then perhaps that is why you are seeing a date of 12/09. The best person to investigate is either your agent or the seller's agent. Good luck!