Home Buying in Englewood>Question Details

Anna, Home Buyer in Fort Lee, NJ

The seller tells us that the tenant is living in the unit and lease is valid until Aug., but we didn't want

Asked by Anna, Fort Lee, NJ Mon Mar 31, 2008

to wait that long for closing, and we tell the seller that we won't do closing until vacant....
The seller tells the tenant to get out...
Our attorney review has been finished, but we have not made a deposit check or signed any paperwork...
Can we cancel this agreement?
The lawyer says that we may be accountable for the 4-month worth of rent because the seller let the tenant out earlier because of us.. Please give me advice! Thanks

Answers

3
I would think your lawyer's advice would be more qualified than any advice you could get on the internet. If you don't feel that way you should talk to a different lawyer. While technicaly you didn't sign anything, the seller did let the tenant go because of your implied desire to buy a house. Still, your lawyer is who you need to talk to as he'll know the situation (and all the state specific laws that may apply) better than anyone on trulia, besides, agents can't give legal advice :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 31, 2008
Anna,
Your best advice will come from your attorney........
Realtors can not give out legal advice, but I will say this:
I wouldnt have made the tennent move out until I had something in writing from you as a guarantee that you were going to purchase the property.
ANybody who makes any type of move without a contractual obligation is only placing themselves at risk.