Home Buying in Mechanicsburg>Question Details

Tommi, Both Buyer and Seller in Harrisburg, PA

The roles of an Agent: Building, or pre-owned only?

Asked by Tommi, Harrisburg, PA Sun Dec 9, 2012

We have been going to a lot of open houses and looking at pre-owned homes, but have not found "the one" yet. We did speak with a builder in the area to get a cost estimate and that is a consideration now.

Would it help to have a real estate agent step in and help with this process? Can an agent negotiate with a builder, or is that not even possible?

Answers

4
Hi Tommi,
It would be best for you to have an agent who is looking out for you. I have 2 properties that are new builds in the Camp Hill Borough. Negotiating with a builder mostly depends on how eager they are to move onto the next project. Here is my contact info if you would like any info on these or any other properties.

Chris Jordahl Realtor
717-623-0891
cjordahl628@gmail.com
Yes, you should have an agent so you have representation. You also want to make sure the agent that you choose has experience with new construction. I am a local agent, that has a lot of knowledge in new construction. I would be happy to assist you in either purchasing a new construction home or a resale. You may reach me directly on my cell phone if you would like to set up a time to meet an discuss your needs.

Angela Moyer, Realtor
RSR Realtors
Office:717-763-1212
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Having representation is always the best thing for each individual buyer and seller. At the builders model the salesperson is representing the builder. Not the buyer. An experienced agent can help you through the process. You should always have your agents information handy when attending an open house of any kind. The person holding the open house is representing the seller. So why would you NOT want to be represented.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Builders do not often negotiate with anyone, they do often throw in extras or upgrades, but they like to hold firm on prices if they plan to build more homes in that subdivision. Giving you a deal will mean everyone else buying later will want the same price so they give up other things rather than price discounts. Having your own agent can help protect you. Realtors work under a code of ethics and we have laws to follow. A builder, who is just like any seller, can tell you anything and often will not be held accountable for it later. Let's say you ask for stained trim in the house, builder says, "sure I will do that for you" then on closing day there is none and you realize it was never written in the contract so the builder is off the hook for it even though they said they would add it. An experienced Realtor knows that trick as well as many others builder play. Use an agent to protect yourself and do some of the legwork needed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012