Home Buying in Punta Gorda>Question Details

calicarol, Home Buyer in Punta Gorda, FL

The right RE agent?

Asked by calicarol, Punta Gorda, FL Wed Nov 7, 2012

I am considering a major move from CA to SWFL and love the PG area. I want to come down there for a couple weeks, spend some time around the area, see if this is where I want to purchase a home and find the right RE agent. I want someone that I connect with and has my best interests in mind. I will need a reference for a month long rental probably in Feb 2013. I am looking for a outright purchase (no financing) but need to be educated on Fl taxes, etc. and spend some time to see if this is where I belong. Yes, I am interviewing for the right person. I've bought and sold homes, had good agents and bad. This is the biggest move I've made and it has to be right.

Answers

14
Thank you all for your responses. Single agent? Transaction Broker? Restricted deeds? Yikes, I'm confused. I am totally familiar with buying and selling property in CA. But I realize that instead of earthquake provisions, I need to consider hurricanes. And I have noticed that condos there have HUGE Hoa fees which is why I am considering a home, however I travel a lot and worry about security.
I am also considering the Naples/Ft Myers area. I think the best thing I could do is spend a couple of weeks researching the area from Ft Myers North to PG....or even beyond. I just don't want to be too terribly far from the Keys as I do a lot of biz down there.
You've all given me tons of info and I appreciate it. I will decide when my "research" trip will be (probably Feb) and arrange my "interview" process, LOL.
Thank you all
Hi Carol,It is very important that you find the right agent in a move like you are considering. I am a Mike Ferry trained agent,which can researched online. All the problems involved in a coast to coast move such as yours, I have helped clients do in the past. No glitches.I can help with the rental (seasonal rentals are going fast) ,so we need to get started. Please, feel free to contact me: stevemitchell1952@gmail.com or 941-661-5919. Remember, your best interest is always my first consideration. Thanks and have a great day, Steve.
Debra Mann (earlier answer) is an agent with my company. She knows Punta Gorda very well and follows our "team" spirit to work hard for our customers, in our customers' best interest. Debra (and I, if needed) will do our best to find the right property for you and negotiate the best deal possible. I can provide references if you wish.

We are a small company and that is the way I like it. I left a large franchise to form this brokerage because we could provide personal service and avoid the additional fees that many, if not most, franchises charge. There is no transaction fee or franchise fee charged by our company.

In addition, we have a property management division that might be able to help you find a rental in February. Most of our seasonal rentals go quite fast so if you know the dates you will visit, please make reservations soon (whether you use Suncoasteam Property Management or any other company).

You can also search homes on our website, http://www.suncoasteam.com. We have both an excellent map search module where you can plot homes on a map and a features search module where you can simply click an area, fill in the features and price range and get a list of properties.

Please let me or Debra know if we can assist you.

Jim

James Mulligan
Suncoasteam Realty, LLC
Po Box 380503
Murdock, FL 33938
941-235-7474 Office Phone

Office Location:
4055 Tamiami Trail
Port Charlotte, FL 33952
Hi Carol -

You've asked a great question and one that more buyers probably should.

In buying a home you'll spend a great deal of time with your agent, in person and on the phone, and you'll probably share more of yourself with your agent than you imagine right now. So your #1 consideration should be to find someone you feel comfortable with and who you can trust with the details of your likes and dislikes, your finances, your lifestyle.

The second thing you should look for is an agent who practices "single agency." That person represents YOU and stands up for your best interests. In Florida most agents work as "transaction agents" and their responsibility is to the outcome, not to you. Imagine you sue your mechanic over a faulty repair and you hire a lawyer and go to court. What if your attorney's job was not to get YOU the result you want but rather to reach an agreement with the other side so you all can get out of the court room? That's akin to transaction agents while the usual client-attorney relationship is just like single agency.

There are a number of other considerations such as experience, full-time vs part-time agent, market knowledge and so on, but the two above are critical. I'd be delighted to work with you (as a single agent) to find the perfect home if your path leads you to the Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte - Cape Coral area. I invite you to click this link to learn more about how I work with buyers and what some of my past clients have to say about me: http://teamyou1st.kwrealty.com/about/

Thanks for a great question and best of luck in your move. Oh, one last bit of advice - select several agents and spend some quality time with them on the phone. My number is 239-745-5070 !

Alan Johnson
Team You 1st
AlanJ@kw.com
239-745-5070
TeamYou1st.com
Hi Carol,
The experience and recomendations of past clients can be invaluable. Ask your friends, family members and co-workers to recommend an agent. After you have those names, interview several real estate agents before selecting one. These interviews represent a good opportunity to establish the right Agent for you, somebody likeable that will click with your needs.
Buyer's Agent can be count on to represent you start to finish. Buyer's agent is the practice of real estate brokers and their agents representing a buyer in a real estate transaction rather than, by default, represent the seller.

Maria Cipollone

Century 21 Tenace

http://www.Flahomesepcialist.com
Good morning. Please visit http://118durrance.com . THis is a gorgeous just built home in the Historic District. I read your message and I think this property will bring what you are looking for. Thank you. Fernando Pettineroli. Listing Agent. yes@fernandosellsflorida.com (941) 275 9111.
Hi Carol,

Good for you to interview an agent first. Most people dont and regret it later. I am a 15 year agent commercial and residential. Closed over 600 transactions valued at over $107,000,000. I have an accounting degree, think out of the box and am a great negotiator. Enough for now about me, except to say my website, http://www.kevincloutier.com has 1 click searches and is very helpful. Currently, some of my links were corrupted from the Super Storm hitting NJ where my site is hosted but they will be back up very soon, if not already.

Homeowner insurance – Insurance rates vary by age of home, size of home, conditions of home, and location of home. Insurance is more expensive if you live near any type of water – pond, lake, river, Gulf. Insurance is more expensive if home was not built to current hurricane standards. You can get discounts the home qualifies for by having a wind mitigation inspection done at the same time as your home inspection. Discounts are available for building features that reduce damage during high wind events. Overall discounts include things such as age of home, style of roof, how close the home is to a body of water, how close to a fire hydrant, how the roof is tied down, if the home has hurricane shutters or impact resistant windows, frame or block home, etc. If the home is in a flood zone, the insurance company will require a flood elevation certificate. That can be obtained by paying a survey company to prepare it. To check Flood Zones go to http://www.floodsmart.gov and type in the address of the property. It will give you the flood zone, rates, and insurance companies. I use Phil Thompson and find Tower Hill writes a fair amount of policies here.

Homestead exemption – The state of Florida has individual and family exemptions. The most common exemption that people qualify for is the homestead exemption. Every person who owns and resides on real property in Florida on January 1 and makes the property his or her permanent residence is eligible to receive a homestead exemption up to $50,000. To see a list of exemptions go to the Florida Department of Revenue web site at http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/property/taxpayers/exemptions.html.

Property Taxes – A home buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as the amount of property taxes that the buyer may be obligated to pay in the year subsequent to purchase. A change of ownership or property improvements triggers reassessment of the property that could result in higher property taxes. If you have any questions concerning valuation, contact the county property appraiser's office for information. Homesteading caps the tax assessments on the home during ownership. To apply for homestead or to read through answers to frequently asked questions, visit the Charlotte County Property Appraiser web site at http://www.ccappraiser.com/.

Home Inspection - After you have an executed contract you usually have up to15 days to conduct a home inspection, which you pay for. The inspector will examine the home's structural systems and give you a written report detailing any problems found. The inspection takes a few hours. If you cannot be here for the inspection, I can be there with the inspector. Most homes are sold in "As Is" condition which means the sellers will not pay anything for repairs. If the repair cost is too high, you have the right to back out of the contract within the time period specified. Other homes use a traditional contract allowing for renegiation after inspections instaed of cancellation.

Please feel free to contact me with further questions directly at:

239.246.6639 or KCloutier9@gmail.com

Welcome to Paradise!

Cheers

Kevin Cloutier, REALTOR
A "HouseSOLD" name
Southern Premier Realty
I would be happy to speak with you about purchasing a home in the Punta Gorda area. You can visit our company web site at http://www.GreenLionRealty.com to view some listings and read about some of the communities in Punta Gorda. I have an additional web site where I post articles and information about Punta Gorda and the surrounding areas at http://tammyhayes.wordpress.com/.

I can send you a complete list of information you need to know when buying a home in Southwest Florida. I can also send you a list of rental properties and set you up to receive home purchase listings directly from the MLS based on your search criteria. Here are some of the basics:

Homeowner insurance – Insurance rates vary by age of home, size of home, conditions of home, and location of home. Insurance is more expensive if you live near any type of water – pond, lake, river, Gulf. Insurance is more expensive if home was not built to current hurricane standards. You can get discounts the home qualifies for by having a wind mitigation inspection done at the same time as your home inspection. Discounts are available for building features that reduce damage during high wind events. Overall discounts include things such as age of home, style of roof, how close the home is to a body of water, how close to a fire hydrant, how the roof is tied down, if the home has hurricane shutters or impact resistant windows, frame or block home, etc. If the home is in a flood zone, the insurance company will require a flood elevation certificate. That can be obtained by paying a survey company to prepare it. To check Flood Zones go to http://www.floodsmart.gov and type in the address of the property. It will give you the flood zone, rates, and insurance companies.

Property Taxes – A home buyer should not rely on the seller's current property taxes as the amount of property taxes that the buyer may be obligated to pay in the year subsequent to purchase. A change of ownership or property improvements triggers reassessment of the property that could result in higher property taxes. If you have any questions concerning valuation, contact the county property appraiser's office for information. The home you are interested in purchasing may be homestead. Homesteading caps the tax assessments on the home during ownership. MLS records do not necessarily reflect current tax assessments. To apply for homestead or to read through answers to frequently asked questions, visit the Charlotte County Property Appraiser web site at http://www.ccappraiser.com/.

Home Inspection - After you have an executed contract you usually have 10-15 days to get a home inspection, which you pay for. The inspector will examine the home's structural systems and give you a written report detailing any problems found. The inspection takes a few hours. If you cannot be here for the inspection, I can be there with the inspector. Some homes are sold in "As Is" condition which means the sellers will not pay anything for repairs. If the repair cost is too high, you have the right to back out of the contract within the time period specified. Other homes are sold where the seller pays up to 1.5% of the purchase price for repairs.

You can contact me as follows:

Tammy Hayes, Realtor
Green Lion Realty
tammyhayesre@gmail.com
941-276-6185
Hopefully you have a great rapport with a local agent. If so, you can ask that agent to get you an agent in SWFL which will met your needs through your local agent's referral system,
Carol,

I can't personally help you but I've attached an article I've written below on how to find a great buyer broker.

Hi Carol,

Congratulations on you decision to make a move. These types of life choices don't come easy but many people before you have made this same choice and are enjoying every minute of it today.

You are going about this the rignt way by "testing the waters" with a month long visit to truly get a feel for the area and what it has to offer. I would encourage you to reach out a bit and explore Venice and Englewood areas in addition to PG, Port Charlotte, and North Port.

It's nice to see that you are using trulia as a resource for this adventure. You can also gain an advantage by using trulia to screen possible agents from the area. Since many agents have responded to hundreds and even thousands of posts such as yours about virtually every aspect of local and national real eastae issues, you can easily do an agent search and find out their views on important RE topics before actually meeting them.

Best wishes with your visit and your home search.

Bill Eckler
Michael Saunders & Company
941-408-5363
Hello, Carlicarol -

We are very impressed with the straightforwardness of your request as well as your proposed approach.

First, no matter whom you select, your "best interests in mind" is of paramount importance. If you don't hear the term Single Agent in your initial discussions, you'll have a Transaction Broker on your team (Florida statutes "presume" that real estate licensees are Transaction Brokers). Anyone responding to your request should be able to explain the difference.

Second, you can't have too much information. Whether or not you consider Karen and I for your needs, we invite you to visit our Punta Gorda Isles information page. While it's primary focus is on gulf-access waterfront properties (and we don't know if that is also yours), this is the level of information that your selected Realtor® should be able to provide about the areas that you will be considering. Additionally, you will find our e-book library to be an excellent source of the education you are seeking.

Third, get that rental lined up TODAY.

Thank you in advance for considering utilizing our services.

Ken & Karen
Web Reference: http://www.KRolland.info
Hi Carol~

I would be happy to help you find a home in our area!!! You are SO right about finding a good realtor. I have been selling FL real estate successfully for the last 13 years & ALWAYS have my clients best interests at heart. Communication is very important too during every step of the process.

What part of Cali are you from?? I moved to FL from Montana & have been all over the western states. I love it out there. I live on the water down here and sail a 31 FT Island Packet. This is SUCH a great part of Florida no matter what you are looking for!! The boating and fishing is second to none....the beaches are top rated in the USA... there are tons of things to do, and you are never very far away from the metro areas of Miami...Orlando, etc.

If you like I can set up a customized search for you that will send you auto updates everytime a new property comes on the market and when ever there are price changes that meet your criteria. Then once it gets closer to your arrival, you can pick the ones you would like to see and we will go "shopping".

As far as rentals go, I would start at http://www.vrbo.com. It is a website where you can get great deals on rentals by owners. There are lots of them in Punta Gorda.

I would love to hear from you!! Just send me an email, or give me a call!!!

Debra Mann
Suncoasteam Realty
941-625-5715
debra@suncoasteam.com
Good morning Carlicarol,
I would love to have the opportunity for an interview with you and help you with your real estate needs. I commend you on looking for that right RE agent as this is not only the largest purchase you will be making but you also want making your purchase a nice smooth transaction. I am one of the top producers in the Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, North Port areas being a member of the Million Dollar Club, I have earned my GRI, and my Broker Associate's license as I feel knowledge of todays ever change market and education is extremely important. I personally have lived in Punta Gorda in the Punta Gorda Isles where we had a 25' Grady White boat and enjoyed the beautiful waterways of Punta Gorda.I believe that communication, honesty, morals and ethics are the most important trait a person can have and this is the main principles I live by. I love my position as a Realtor as I feel it is extremely rewarding to be able to watch my clients fulfil their dreams. As you can see, I welcome you to see my website at http://www.usejan.com and I would love to hear from you. Please feel free to call me at 941-276-2005. My best regards, Jan Klein, Broker Associate, Century 21 Aztec & Associates.