Mary, Home Buyer in Allen, TX

The new (resale) home's water heater is 12 yr old, we're thinking of tankless water heater but it would cost about $2.5k versus $1.5k

Asked by Mary, Allen, TX Sun Jan 30, 2011

storage type. The water heater location is in the attic for one story house. Does the tankless water heater worth that extra grand, and if it would help with resale value ?

Answers

8
Tony Z - In The Field’s answer
In general, go with the tank water heater. Tankless are good in certain applications, but most of the time, you'll get an endless supply of warm water. Dishes, laundry, and hot showers will not be the same.
I love having the tankless water heater. With 3 kids (2 teenagers) it comes in very handy, not to mention it's much more energy efficient. I think it's a great choice!

Brandon Findley
Mid America Mortgage
214-202-3069
http://www.findleyteam.com
It will definitely make your home more appealing to future home buyers when it's time to sell. However, you have to decide what suits you and your family.

Susie Kay
Realtor & Certified Home Stager
United Real Estate
469-371-2899
http://www.dfwdreamhomes.net
Any updates you make to your home are good for resale. I would call a few companies and get a few estimates and then go from there.
That sounds like a pretty old water heater so it is good that you are getting it replaced. I would recommend asking the previous home owner what they went with and how they liked it. Then maybe speak with an installer to see what they think they best option would be. http://www.chamblissplumbing.com/water-heater/
Mary,
I would recommend that you speak with a plumbing company for the benefits of each one. This is usually not something that will add money to the bottom line when you resale the home, however if you are planning to be in the home for 3, 5, 7, 10 years and you will enjoy having hot water "on-demand" then it's probably worth it. Personally, I have 4 teenagers and if my water heater went out I would likely go tankless (just so that everyone could shower without running out of hot water!).

Melissa Hailey
Coldwell Banker Jane Henry Realtors
North Texas Top Team Realtors
214-418-0180
Melissa.Hailey@ColdwellBanker.com
Tankless water heaters are efficient and can last up to twenty years. The fact that they are on demand and never run out of hot water means there is no storage tank to deal with.
You mentioned your tank is in the attic and this is a contributing factor for the above average cost I'm sure. It is also the reason that my vote would be to go tankless. Water hearters are a funny thing. I've witnessed newer tanks fail and the water damage, while most likely covered by ins, is not worth the savings.
Wow, are you telling me that a regular water heater replacement is going to cost $1,500? I just replaced my own 50 gal electric water heater and saved the plumbers cost, but even with a plumber I would not expect a standard water heater with install to be much over $600-700 total. The tankless units are expensive and I have very little experience with them.