Home Buying in Portsmouth>Question Details

rdyckman, Other/Just Looking in Portsmouth, VA

The housing market is in recovery now, but Portsmouth is still a sinking ship. Why?

Asked by rdyckman, Portsmouth, VA Fri Jan 18, 2013

Answers

5
My mom has lived here 44 years.
I do not believe the Mayor or City Counsel realize that they are part of our problem. We are taxed higher than other places and Portsmouth LOVES to find new ways to get as much and do as little as possible for you. The red tape we went through to do a new porch was ridiculous The crime rate is a problem. Too many homes are being RENTED to death. Repairs are not done or barely done. It brings down the property values of the neighborhood. If you see alot of rentals in a neighborhood, that can be a real issue. There are Way too many foreclosures and you see papers on homes saying the property is condemned. The high taxes makes our Mayor and City Counsel look like they are robbing the people. Who wants to live in a town like that. They have millions coming in from the tunnel, but it's never enough. I listened to the news about how many EZ passes had been sold @ $35. Portsmouth is Not poor.
where and who has owner financing house where I can purchase or looked into purchasing in Portsmouth va I prefer to live in the south Norfolk area but an nice area would be find
Hi, I have a beautiful home for sale in Westhaven district! Have you tried to get pre-qualified for a mortgage? Please email me your contact information so I can call you to discuss your desires and options. eacollier@embarqmail.com Thanks.
Flag Tue May 13, 2014
Portsmouth is plagued with corrupt politics and who is going to want to pay the tolls to live in a run down city.
Portsmouth has a poor reputation with regard to schools, crime and high tax rates (because so much of the city is owned by the federal government). That being said, the city is super-quaint downtown and has some of the most beautiful waterfront property in the Hampton Roads area. Just depends on which neighborhood you live in and if schools matter to you. We are looking to move there from neighboring Chesapeake this year because our kids are finally grown and we just want a well-made house in an established, beautiful neighborhood.
From what perspective do you ask this question? It is very broad and not sure that I would agree with you. If you are a seller and want to have a market analysis done, I am happy to provide this at no charge. I have seen many community values gradually rising. Hampton Roads settled sales average $199K, compared to $172,500 in 2004 and $210K in 2005. inventory has retreated to 2006 levels of under 10000 listings.
My direct line is 757-235-2608 and I specialize in Portsmouth Real Estate.
I was told this kind of thing about Portsmouth and that I would regret living there, so don't look to buy here and many more negative thing from people who never lived here. I am from Virginia Beach, have also lived for years in Chesapeake, NC and moved into my much loved 2 story home in Portsmouth in 1995 and have loved it so much! I raised 2 of my kids here. I was so upset with Chittam Elementary in Chesapeake that I first chose Portsmouth Christian and then homeschooled. I hope to find me a ranch type more easily accessible home as I am aging & am looking in Portsmouth. The naysayers mean I can find a nicer home for less money in Portsmouth. My son bought a home here and my youngest daughter remains here too.
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013
Trulia and Zillows market trends indicate that Portsmouth home values continue to decline month over month and year over year. This is contradictory to what is happening in most other parts of the country, which is recovery, and finally increases. I am sure that Hampton Roads is recovering in general, but according to Trulia, this is not the case for Portsmouth. Why exactly is this city taking so long to recover?
Flag Sat Jan 19, 2013