LoLi, Home Buyer in Tampa, FL

The builder never completed the project. How can I get my money back?

Asked by LoLi, Tampa, FL Sun Jan 4, 2009

In 2005 I signed a contract to purchase a townhouse that was in the preconstruction phase. The project was never completed and the builder never returned my deposit. In 2007 I attempted to get my money back (with the help of a lawyer) and was not successful. I recently found out that the project continues under a different name and builder. How can I get my money back without having to hire a lawyer???

Answers

2
My answer is what I would do I am not speaking as an agent and I am not a lawyer.

I would put a lien on the property.
Your contract governs on failure of either party. If your money was rendered to title company make your demands there. If property sold to another builder I would assume all deposits transferred to new developer. Contact that developer.

Many builders have earnest paid to them direct not title company I am hopeful you have a buyers agent who can assist you with many of your questions.
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com