Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

Newb, Home Buyer in Los Angeles, CA

The app for the 9a Report for Residential Property Records was just submitted two days ago and I won't have it before close date. What should I do?

Asked by Newb, Los Angeles, CA Tue Mar 26, 2013

Do I delay closing escrow? The escrow instructions do say that the seller is still responsible for anything that's revealed in the report, but at that point, isn't it too late? My agent tells me that closing before receiving the 9a is common and that it happens in 99% of transactions.

Answers

3
Staci Siegel’s answer
Hello There,

Your agent is correct to say that a lot of escrows close before the 9A is delivered but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to close before the 9A is delivered. If your contract states that the seller is required to deliver it to you by a certain date then you have every right to wait to close until you receive it. If your contract does not specifically require the seller to deliver the report to you then you have to close. But also realize that you can keep from closing by just not closing. The seller would then have to serve you with a document called Demand to Close. At that point you would have to close within 3 days after that document is delivered to you. The third day can't be on a holiday or weekend. At that point if you didn't close the seller could cancel the sale, potentially keep your deposit and sue you for damages. If you legally don't have to close because the seller hasn't fulfilled the seller's obligations then the seller couldn't serve you with a Demand to Close.

Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. If your contract allows for you to wait to receive the 9A and that is what you want to do then you should wait.

Good luck with everything.

Kindest regards,
Staci
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
Ask your agent to amend escrow to open an escrow account money for retrofitting and other repairs and close escrow as per contract. If you close it without this, seller might "forget" about it. And you don't want to end up retrofitting it yourself or chasing seller for this. :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
Typically the 9A Report should be ordered at the earliest opportunity once escrow has been opened. The report travels to 4 different departments within the city, so processing the completed report can take as much as 2-3 weeks. Depending upon the type of home you're buying would be a consideration as to whether or not it is advisable to close prior to its delivery to escrow. As an example, you could be purchasing a triplex, yet the city records might show it to be a duplex. I would proceed cautiously, afterall, you might only need to delay the closing by a couple of days! In my experience, most buyers have it in hand prior to closing.

Bill Hooper
RE/MAX
bhooper@remax.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013