Home Buying in Mashpee>Question Details

Peopleperson, Home Buyer in Mashpee, MA

The Otis air force base and chemical plumes in Mashpee?

Asked by Peopleperson, Mashpee, MA Tue May 26, 2009

How much does the acitivity at the Otis military base in Mashpee as well as the chemical pollution in the lakes negatively impact the house prices in the area?

Answers

4
The best resource for the information you are looking for is http://WWW.MMR.ORG. As a prior service member I do know that the base has done a lot to improve the environmental problems it has caused. However, as a Realtor and home owner on Cape Cod I also know that there are often many concerns when it comes to negative factors that can effect our property values. Be sure do you your homework and hire an informed Realtor. As always I'm happy to help should you need someone knowledgeable of the area.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 16, 2010
I have sold around the lakes for years. The pollution stigma has not impacted sales that I have had for many years. The pollution was not air born and with town water which is tested regularly buyers feel comfortable from my experience. Now I would not eat the fish in many Cape lakes. The nitrate loading and run offs are a serious problem to the natural habitat. Sewers are on the way in the future in most water sensitive locations across all the CAPE.
The activity at Otis, or the perceived activity at Otis had a slight impact on house prices. This is mostly because of the perceived noise problems caused by the Air Force jets. As one who lived within one mile from the base, for over fifteen years and haveing sold many homes within this area, I can tell you truly that it was a significant impact on location or pricing. That said, the Air Force jets have been relocated to another base outside of Massachusetts and are no longer an issue.

Perhaps the biggest perceived problem is with the alleged "chemical plumes" caused by years of oil and jet fuels being dumped in to the ground. Volumes have been written the various plumes; their effect on groundwater, and their respective corrective measures, are discussed in detail on-line, or may be found in various Town Hall Health Departments in the Towns Bourne, Falmouth, Mashpee, and or Sandwich. All of the homes, in the area have Town water and thus have negated any perceived health issues with drinking water.

There is a perceived problem with property values and marketability of homes located in these area. Some areas are less desireable, but this is similar in other parts of these towns. However, as one who has both sold and owned homes in the Otis areas, I can say these issues are wrong. They are mostly fostered by agents who are trying to sell homes in other parts of the towns. It is convenient to use the old "close to the base" argument when trying to turn prospective buyers' attentions to other areas. The problem is, it's wrong.

Here is the truth; if the home sited well and well maintained, you won't find a better place to live even though the home may be "close to the base."
Depending on the location in Mashpee and or part of Sandwich in which the home is located, it can have an effect not so much on pricing, but on the size of the audience that is willing to buy in that area. Eg. The last 2 homes that I sold in this area were to military personnel moving to the area, in which case they love the area. People that have the ability to locate anywhere may not have this on the top of their list. Air traffic has certainly lessened as the F-18's and similar planes have ceased to fly into this area. The Plume area can be viewed on the government’s plume map. These conditions should always be disclosed to potential buyers through the use of a plume disclosure form. This was particularly a problem as many of the homes in the affected areas were on well water. Most have been converted to town water by now. All-in-all, as long as you have a nice home this can be a decent time to sell assuming you are priced at or slightly below market.