Home Buying in Los Angeles>Question Details

kimberlyyenn…, Home Buyer in Stockton, CA

Thanks for all the advices. Update information!

Asked by kimberlyyennguyen, Stockton, CA Mon Aug 27, 2012

The seller just contacted us today at 6pm. She said she will move out within 7 days and she will not enter the rental agreement. She also said she is going out of town to borrow money so she can not meet me today . She agreed to communicate through email. I sent an email to her and gave her a deadline to vacate and asked her to reply my email to confirm. I called her 5 minutes later after making sure the email went through but she did not answer then I left a message. I think she might not move out after 7 days. I already called the sheriff &they said they will not involve until I have a court order. I also called the small claim advice service but I only can left a message. I also asked the attorney on talk show today and they adviced me to negotiate with the seller to prevent the future damage. The real estate attorney will be my last solution because I am almost out of money after buying the house. I will sent a certified mail to her "pay rent or quit" notice tomorrow

Answers

3
DON'T use email. This is serious stuff, and you are weakening your position by treating this as an email chat. Everything you write can be held against you, so be careful
I would start calculating a daily rent charge and let the trespasser know you will be taking her to smaill claims court for every dollar due. This sounds like a perfect Judge Judy case.
Maybe I'm jumping into this conversation a little late, but where is the agent that represented you with this purchase? He/She should be contacting his company attorney and making an appointment for the 3 of you to work out a plan, and he should be paying the attorney fees. Was your agent from a small brokerage? Most of the time it's better to go with a big name brokerage. It does sound to me the seller is stalling for time. I hope you are not paying the utilities, yet. If so, turn them off.