Home Buying in Orlando>Question Details

opto_isolator, Home Buyer in Austin, TX

Taylor Morrison - do they negotiate with upgrade prices?

Asked by opto_isolator, Austin, TX Mon Mar 18, 2013

We just signed a contract to build a Taylor Morrison home in the Orlando area. They gave us $13,000 in upgrade credits for their design center. We visited to get an idea of costs of what we want, and with their prices (before the discount) we are looking at about $60,000 in upgrades. Has anyone been successful in negotiating a percentage off of the total upgrade costs with them before???

Answers

10
lksium19’s answer
I will be closing shortly on a house there with them as well, and once that contract is signed, you can pretty much guarantee nothing else is going to change. They give you the credits and in their eyes, thats that. If you haven't gone through the actual process, I wouldn't be surprised if you want away at first with more than the 60k, I know I surely did!!
I was an on-site new home sales consultant for 8 years and can tell you from experience that the best use of your incentive money would be to spend it on structural options (ie, covered lanai, pool, additional electrical outlets, plumbing) - items that would be more difficult and expensive to change/upgrade down the road. You can always add granite counter tops or wood floors in the future. What would be more difficult to add would be a 2nd sink in your bath 2 or a covered lanai/porch.

I worked with a family last year who purchased a Taylor Morrison home and they took my advise and used their incentive money for a pool and other structural items such as central vac. They purchaed the cabinets that they wanted and put in the tile that they wanted, but they held off on the wood floors, decorative door handles, upgraded plumbing and light fixtures. I just had lunch with the wife on Thursday and she told me that she was so happy that they listened to me. They love their new home.

More than likely, Taylor Morrison will not give you more off the total price. Keep in mind, you have already signed their contract. The design center options are a hugre profit center to for the builder.

Hope this helps.

Crystal Eisen
Exit Real Estate Results
crystaleisen@aol.com
407-312-2982
I think I need to clarify further, as witnessed by the canned responses below. We have an agent, they came with us to sign the initial contract (which there was no negotiating the base price for the home). I've read / been told that the design center is where the negotiation can occur due to the fact that the markups are large on items. Additionally, the contract price is revised to reflect the additional upgrades - so it's not "too late in the process" as someone below already pointed out. I appreciate your responses - but what I'm looking for is feedback based on experience with building with Taylor Morrison, or in the general builder market - are they willing to give concessions on their markups in this market?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 18, 2013
Do not buy from these people. Houses are beautiful but there they're Financial Department SUCKS!!!
They work when they can when they please, they don't care abouT the people. Beleive me if you have another option, TAKE IT.
Do yourself a favor and do not buy a home with Taylor Morrison. You probably already did because I see your post was a year ago. The design center is not well trained to sell you products. We paid an overabundance of money for top quality wood flooring because we have a dog. Within months of moving in, we had surface level scratches coving every single plank of wood. The floors just need to be refinished but Taylor Morrison is assuming no responsibility for the floors and is merely blaming our dog.

Our house was done so quickly that we have had over a year of repairs with them. Everybody they send out to do repairs needs training themselves. We had a painter come out that had never really painted before and left paint on our driveway. He didn't even know that he had to put on a base coat of paint so we had to have our walls repainted after he came.

The whole process has been a nightmare for us. If anybody reads, this, read the BBB reviews before you choose a builder. I wish we did. I would have never have chosen Taylor Morrison. Any company that doesn't try to achieve an A standard with BBB, is not worth working with. Our Taylor Morrison in our area, is probably down to a C.
Well, what happened? I am about 1 week away from writing a check in Austin. We have been given $20k in upgrades, but the house is required to have a wrought iron fence, that is not included and about $9,200. I am at a breaking point over this stupid fence. (dog and 2 small kids, its necessary)
CP, folks rarely follow up on year old questions. Sorry to hear you feel fenced in, just hang in there. :)
Flag Thu Apr 17, 2014
I agree with Alan's comments below. Always best to bring an agent when buying new construction. Let them do the negotiating for you. The builders agents can be very helpful and pleasant to deal with. However, they are employed by the builder. Their job is to make more money for the builder. So, by not working with a buyers agent, you loose that extra benefit of negotiation. Also, many agents have previous relationships with builders and builders agents. That allows them to compare previous sales and sometimes the buyer will benefit from that knowledge and working relationship.

The quick answer is: yes. everything is negotiable. Ive found it is better to negotiate additional upgrades rather than price. In other words, set a budget and get more for your dollar.

Best of luck with your new home!! Have a great time at the design center. I am like a kid in a candy shop at the design centers, always such fun!

Danny Barto
As Alan has indicated, it's a bit late to ask us now. And as Vincent indicated, it doesn't really happen much in the current market and it certianly is not going to happen after you signed the contract.

To any other buyers who happen upon this question -- TAKE A BUYER's AGENT with you when you buy new construction. It does not cost you anything and it can save you money and sticker shock. Sorry, opto.
best to take an agent with you when you buy a new home. They can help you with the negotiations. rember the sales persons in the Model and the design Center work for the builder !!
Right now, it is rare if a all. Closing costs and rates are your tools right now for getting that payment down. Stay in your budget, do not buy to much home. You want to enjoy it, not live to work to pay for it.
In the past 2008-2010, yes $30,000-$40,000 was shaved off lots of my deals, but know it is tougher and tougher, because of the demand is high. People standing in line for new home purchases...