Annalisa, Home Buyer in Los Angeles County, CA

Taking over payments on a single family home? (Los Angeles area)

Asked by Annalisa, Los Angeles County, CA Fri Aug 14, 2009

My family needs to relocate to the Los Angeles area, for my husband's job. I have seen a lot of postings on sites, such as craigslist, which offer to let a buyer "take over the payments" on a home. I am not sure if this is too good to be true? It seems that some of these listings offer much more reasonable payments ($1200-1800 month) than do rental homes. We really can't afford more than $1800 a month, but we need to find a house with a yard, so that we can take our dogs with us. Right now, we live in Central Illinois, where housing is cheap, and we only pay $856 a month for our 4 bedroom house here (which includes PMI and homeowner's insurance!). Are these offers all scams, or is there indeed a way to find a house with a yard, for $1800 or less? Thanks!

Answers

1
I can't say they are ALL scams, but I can say that they All might be. Please stay away from the Craigslist "take over payments" scams. They have been featured on the news and so many people have been taken by these people. Many of these homes are underwater or upside down and they are actually in foreclosure, so they give you an "option to buy" but by the time you have the sheriff at your home they are long gone! Don't do it. There are so many places you can purchase with a $1800 payment in a decent area.

What city is your husband going to be working in? Maybe I can send you some homes in or around that area. Send me an e-mail to dyannaavila@hotmail.com or call me at 323-359-7992 and I will send you a few homes so you can take a look at them and see that you don't have to fall prey to those vultures.

Dyanna
323.359.7992
dyannaavila@hotmail.com