Home Buying in Pennsburg>Question Details

repent711, Home Buyer in Phillipsburg, NJ

Take a loss on selling my house now or wait 4 years and see what happens?

Asked by repent711, Phillipsburg, NJ Fri Jul 19, 2013

In '09 I bought my new condo for $235,000 and put $35,000 down. I'm trying to sell it now for $225,000 for the last 3 months in hopes to take advantage of new construction and the low rates on a single family. My wife and I are happy where we are but want a yard and garage when my son gets older. Nobody knows what the rates or home prices will be but I can say savings wise I won't have anything more than I have today so any extra money to cover higher home prices would come from more equity in my existing home. I also have the ability now to stay with parrents for a few months to wait for the construction. I'm unsure about putting $35k down 4 years ago and walking away with $20k or less now.

Answers

4
Ann;
Thought provoking!
But you assume that if they Short now, that they will be able to buy now.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 19, 2013
I'd take the loss now and move on. The future is uncertain, and you want to buy a new house with a yard and garage while your son is young enough to enjoy it.
I disagree with Ron on this. If taking the loss enables you to go buy a new home, which costs more today then it may be strategic to take the loss.

$235,000, sell at $200,000, paper loss of $35,000.

If the $200,000 condo appreciates at 12% a year for the next 5 years it will be worth $352,000.

If you instead take the $35,000 loss in order to purchase a $300,000 house and that house also appreciates at 12% a year for the next 5 years it will be worth $529,000. So taking the $35000 loss now, will allow you to make another $141,000 in 5 years.

The numbers work best if: the new house is much more expensive than the existing property, and you plan to be in the new house for several years. Also, I expect appreciation to be much more moderate in the next few years - using 8% would probably be more realistic, but it will depend on your particular neighborhood as well.
If you less for less now, you'll either have to come up with some money, or do a Shortsale and ruin your credit:
You as so close to break-even, and maybe even a profit; selling now could cost you more than if you waited a while.
Most good areas have seen 12% + increases.
Consider also what RENT would be for a place, as opposed to what you're paying for the mortgage.

Good luck and may God bless