Home Buying in Brooksville>Question Details

Niki910, Home Buyer in Bayonne, NJ

TITLE & LIEN SEARCH

Asked by Niki910, Bayonne, NJ Tue Aug 23, 2011

HOW LONG DOES IT USUALLY TAKE AFTER A BID HAS BEEN ACCEPTED AND YOU HAVE AN EXECUTED CONTRACT?

Answers

8
You can get a preliminary title report within few minutes on website such as http://www.nextace.com or http://www.searchq.com
All you need is the home address to start a search. If the report is available, you only pay a small fee to download. You can also find out mortgage record, tax status, ownership history, delinquent taxes even liens and foreclosure information by purchase a property report. It is around $30 if I remember correctly.
Web Reference: http://www.searchq.com
Chill, foreclosures are like train wrecks, nothing pretty about them. You want a thorough title exam. I had a financial institution sign a sales contract on a home they did not own. No one questioned it because it was a foreclosure, I refused to sign off because of the questionable title chain and low and behold they really didn’t own it.

There is a reason you bought this particular home, risk and reward, you do not get the reward unless your title company has your back. It takes what it takes to sift through the mess. Do not, NOT take anyone’s word on this, read the title report with your Realtor, make sure you understand it.
In my experience HUD owned homes go very slow - out here in California where it's common to get a title report, etc. within 2-3 days, on HUD homes it's been a week or two... so if on average it's taken me about 1-2 weeks to get a title & lien search in Northern NJ, but you are dealing with a HUD home, it's not too surprising that it's been 2 weeks without any word. It would not be inappropriate for you if you wanted to call up the title company/closing attorney and ask how long they anticipate it'll be until those items come back. I would first ask your real estate agent though.
tomorrow will be two weeks ago that we received the executed contract for the property we are buying in brooksville, fl.
Last time I did a purchase in Northern NJ it was a week and a half.
we are working with a realtor.
we have put in a bid on a HUD home/property and it was accepted.
we received an executed contract.

now we are just waiting on the title & lien search to be completed & come back clear.
i just want an idea of how long this last part takes.

the wait is driving us crazy.

thanks !!
The search and subsequent report or "commitment" takes 24 to 48 hours, depending on the county in Florida. Some counties are quicker than others.
Not knowing how you are doing it in N.J. (we do not use Lawyers out here);

After the Contract is signed, it is sublitted to a TITLE COMPANY who is reponsible for doing a PRELIMINARY TITLE REPORT for you. This will show, the PLOT, OWNERSHIP, LIENS, ENCOMBERANCES, etc.

The Title Company will collect and disburse all monies and Documents, and maintain a 3rd party neutrality.

I think you may use Attorney's to do some or all of this.

Please talk to your Buyer's Agent.