Home Buying in Naples>Question Details

puppy133771, Home Buyer in Saint Augustine, FL

Asked by puppy133771, Saint Augustine, FL Sat Feb 16, 2013

Marc Comisar’s answer
It is not an opinion by Debra.....it is factual. Thomas....you are a walking liability and a poor reflection on our profession. The can assure the general public that this manner is not indicative of the profession..... but you know the saying it takes one rotten apple?

1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 18, 2013
He refuses, or just isn't able, to "get it" - what can you do!
Fortunately, most agents seem to understand why you can't answer this type of question in the manner he did. But, I must admit, I sat here shaking my head when he tried to defend his position!
Have a great day!
Flag Mon Feb 18, 2013
Thomas....looks like you went 9 years between sales. Since you got out of the business when things got tough I suggest you stay out.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
Thomas.....I have now read a few of your posts. It is best that you no longer post regardless of your opinion.

If you have a problem you can call me direct 898-5329.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 17, 2013
totally agree with you - he is clueless as to basic laws.
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
Hi! I'm happy to hear that you are interested in moving to the Naples Area, which Golden Gate Estates are a part of. The city limits of Naples is small, but the broad area considered Naples includes Golden Gate Estates. Golden Gate has large lots up to lots with multiple acres. Unless a house needs rehab, the houses on the west side of I-75 are about $200k and up. Homes in Golden Gate Estates, which is just east of I-75, are less expensive. You can check crime statistics at City-Data.com, however I don't feel like it's an unsafe area at all. I don't make the decision on what a person buys and where because it's you who lives in the house. I will provide guidance, home sales statistics to make sure you are aware of what other homes in the neighborhood are selling for before you make an offer. I educate you in the home buying process and what to be aware of when buying a home. If you would like any assistance, please email or call me. I'd be happy to help you. I'm available most days and nights up until 10pm. I hope to speak with you soon!

Nancy Linder
Naples Realty Services, Inc.
Office: 239-262-4333
Cell: 314-616-2313 (preferred)
Email: NancyLinder@NaplesRealtyServices.com
Website: http://www.NancyForNaplesHomes.com
facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NancyForNaplesHomes
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NancyJLinder
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
just happened along and read the responses on this thread, and I must say, Thomas - you may need to take a refresher course on Fair Housing, maybe even the Realtor Code of Ethics.

Steering buyers away from an area, whic you just did, is not allowed - and referring to an area as a "slum" is not "being honest" - it is unprofessional and just plain wrong.

Seriously? How do you think someone who lives in that area feels reading your words?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
If you want your client to buy a property near a grow house or god knows what, steer them right there. I would rather show nicer areas.
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
Have you been to this area lately? I think even realtors are allowed an opinion.
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
As a real estate professional I find it funny that you would discourage buyers coming into an area you work in, regardless of their price points. The truth is that because they are lower priced homes there are an array of homeowners regarding ethnicities and professions but there are gorgeous homes out there. If its land you're looking for with your home there isn't much in Naples besides Logan Woods.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
good for you! glad you spoke up!
Flag Sat Feb 16, 2013
Golden gate estates is a very undeveloped part of Naples. It is considered a great area for first home buyers or buyers with a lower price point because you can get a lot for your money there because it is farther away and less convenient for homeowners who want to be right in Naples. The area is great if you enjoy your privacy because it is so undeveloped the houses provide more acreage and the houses aren't stacked right on top of each other.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 16, 2013
So to be clear, you now live in NC, want to move in 2014 to somewhere in FL. You have a lot of time to make a deliberate decision. I say just rent and hold cash as a soon to be retiree, no reason to buy anything. As for location, I liked your earlier postings inquiring about St Augustine, terrific city! Speaking as a buyer and frequent traveler to FLA, I like the atlantic side much better than the gulf side. Vero Beach, melbourne are nice areas to consider.

FYI, all caps is considered screaming in internet parlance, save all caps for anger :)

if you like my answer, thumbs up and best answer me!
Thank you for your opinion.
Tom Rosen
you're quite welcome
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
oh, and to respond to your other "reply" to me - yes, Realtors are allowed an opinion - they just cannot share it in the manner you did...it's called being professional and knowing how to conduct yourself.
I had one last year....moved to Asheville.....it is a gorgeous area
Flag Tue Feb 19, 2013
Flag Sun Feb 17, 2013
Thomas - seriously - you are so unaware of Fair Housing laws and the Realtor Code of Ethics .
Perhaps because you have been out of the buisness for some years, you're not aware of why you shouldn't be stating your opinion in the manner you have............ but ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Do you have a Broker who can explain this to you?

Your reply to me made my jaw drop:

"If you want your client to buy a property near a grow house or god knows what, steer them right there. I would rather show nicer areas.

Agents mayNOT steer buyers To or AWAY from any location.
Just because you may or may not want to live in a certain area, doesn't mean someone else might not want to.

We can supply facts - not opinions - about an area. We can direct consumers to links online, or refer them to an area's website, or even suggest they call the local police station to get those sort of questions answered, but we CANNOT say "this area is better/worse than that area".
Your opinion is just that - it's YOUR opinion, and as a real estate professional, you're not supposed to share it in the manner you did.

And, to see someone do this on an open forrm, on the internet, is mind boggling to me.

I strongly suggest you delete your previous responses, as anyone in your area could use your comments against you, possibly even report you to the FL Real Estate Commission......not to mention the impression you will leave if a local consumer sees those comments.
Golden Gate Estates could be a nice area for some people to live. Yes you can get more land and if you want horses or other large pets, it is a good choice. Perhaps I could have chosen my words a bit more carefully. Be careful when buying a home there. A property that looks great today, might not be that desirable in a month. You can have someone move in on the next lot or across the street that likes to keep a boat, a trailer and a few cars that are ready for the junk yard on the front lawn. Very little zoning enforcement. There is NOT a lot of violent crime in the area but it is known for an occasional grow house being discovered from time to time. It is my opinion that it is the least desirable place to live in the Naples area. I am not trying to "get a deal" as I do not want to sell or list property there. If you like the area, I would just say do your homework as you should with any real estate purchase.
FYI , Logan Woods is very nice. Don't expect a nice home for under 400K though.