Roxem, Other/Just Looking in 91606

Suggestions for reading to educate myself?

Asked by Roxem, 91606 Mon Feb 9, 2009

I am interested in hearing suggestions for reading to build up my knowledge base in the real estate arena. Specifically re: first time home buying and eventual investmentproperty purchases...

I don't mind technical (I am an attorney) but with everything out there (Bach and Trump and Rich Dad, etc.) it is hard to sort out the good from the waste of time books/audiobooks.

Thanks!

Answers

5
Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner ~ Exclusive Buyers Agent ~ ABR, CEBA’s answer
P.S. Check out http://www.ActiveRain.com

It's even better then Trulia.

The articles are written by real estate agents, and you can find information on any topic you want, read comments from agents throughout the nation. FREE ;-)
Web Reference: http://www.ActiveRain.com
Here is a blog that provides monthly insite on the the Los Angeles Market and where it is headed.

http://www.johnhartrealestate.com/blog/2014/09/los-angeles-p…
As Nike would say "Just do it" . . .

IMHO people writing real estate "how to" books are talking generalizations. They don't focus on a particular market or to a parituclar type of buyer/investor. If it's not generalizations then it's anecdotal and again, won't apply to a specific person and/or their goals.

While you might get some good information on how to do something, inspiration, etc. from reading these books, the authors aren't there to help you personally. They wrote the book to make money from selling copies of the book. They are not giving the readers the key to the Holy Grail.

Just do it!

If you're a first time buyer, talk to an EXPERIENCED agent who has worked with first time buyers and has a proven track record. My office only works with buyers as an Exclusive Buyer Agency. My clients are well served.

If you want to leverage, diversify portfolio, etc. real estate is a great asest. But unless you're in the market to flip, think long-term real estate holdings. Again, find an agent that knows what they're doing.

No two transaactions are every alike. No two buyers are ever alike. If you want to find out how to do something, do it! But find a good agent to help you through the process. You'll be glad you did.
You might start with the classic by William Nickerson "How I turned $5000 into 5 million in Real Estate in my Spare Time". If you can find it.
Roxem,

From a practical point of view "trulia" Questions & Answers, offers practical in the trenches perspective of what the current trends are for buyers, sellers, and agents.

There are many more formal real estate resources, but this format is one that should not be overlooked.

Roxem, our recommendation is to consider Trulia a valid resource. There is much to be learned from this forum.....

Thank you for the post.