James, Other/Just Looking in Laguna Hills, CA

Subdividing a large HOA

Asked by James, Laguna Hills, CA Wed Nov 28, 2012

Does anyone have experience with having subdivided a large HOA into smaller, more manageable entities? We have almost 1000 units in our HOA and it would make sense to split the number into 2 or 3 different ones.

Answers

4
James’ answer
The problem is the lack of oversight, plain and simple. The rules are old, $25 fine after 3 letters. It would take an army of people to get out and enforce all of the violations. Residents know that in the end, nothing will happen so they do what they want. Furthermore, nobody on the BOD is willing to implement changes to current policy.

The office is closed all day on Tuesday so the PM/Staff can walk the propert but nobody checks to see if they do. That is big problem.

I recently saw a unit that had a tin can used to keep the slider in place, a front gate missing a doorknob and held closed with moving tape. It goes on and on and has for years.

If you divided the complex you could use Santa Vittoria and Ridge Route as dividing lines. I was envisioning one large HOA with 3 sub-HOA'S.
Your quest then may involve finding a working model somewhere in the States (or even outside) that you could learn from.
I was always wondering that if the HOA was lower say $250, would more people pay and would there be more revenue than the current $480 and multitudes not paying?
I have a number of friends who own and live there and they say they get half of what they pay for in services.
Flag Thu Nov 29, 2012
Let me guess, LV?

What has been the major problem? I have heard there are yelling matches at the HOA meetings? People who have lived there 20 years plus say it is not the same neighborhood anymore. Too many tennants and "they don't care about the neighborhood".
Is there a way to lead educational programs for the residents on pride of home? Pride of neighborhood for ones own good?

Subdividing? What would be the lines? Who would have access to what pools? Would there be twice the management fees, gardeners, etc...?

I am neither in favor or against, just trying to bring up some questions.
Current Homeowner laying groundwork for potential spot on BOD. Thanks for the response.
James, not sure of your relationship as part of OC the HOA, but it seems this is a problem that needs to be addressed to your board of directors and HOA management company. You will certainly need strong examples that the current size of 1000+ units has been detrimental or mismanaged with results and $ costs. Good luck.