Neena, Home Buyer in Greenwood Village, CO

Stucco issue...

Asked by Neena, Greenwood Village, CO Fri Mar 20, 2009

My husband and I are in the market looking for a house in and around Denver, CO. We were wondering if we should completely eliminate looking at Stucco homes because of all the bad reputation it has. Any advise?

No, with a good inspection company you'll be safe if you choose a stucco home regardless of the application and an inspector that specializes in stucco will be able to point out any flaws, etc. Make sure the inspection company specializes in stucco, there are number of good one's in town. I've sold numerous stucco homes over the years and live in one with EIFS. If I can be of further assistance you can contact me through my website at http://www.come2colorado.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Oct 8, 2009
Hi Neena,

There have been some problems with stucco exteriors but would certainly not eliminate them for your home search. No matter what type of exterior your new home has the most important thing is to have it inspected by a qualified home inspector, preferrably one that is a member of ASHI. Get recommendations from your Realtor. Don't just pick someone randomly. There are inspectors who have special training in identifying problems related to stucco and advising you as to remedies available. Good luck with your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009

I was a general contractor for 15 years building all types of homes with all types of exterior finishes. First and foremost don't discount any property for what you may have heard from the media or other sources. A reputable inspector should be able to alert you to any issues any property may have. Make sure your inspector is familiar with building methods. Almost all litigation and problems arose from inproper instalation not the material itself. In my humble opinion and from experience I like the real Concrete stucco with the elstomeric paint on as this application allows the structure to breath easy instead of the EFIS you have heard about from other comments. Your biggest concern should be. Will your chosen insurance company insure the home you choose with what ever methods were used for the stucco finish. Many exclude such Items and if you don't want to risk it then buy a home without it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 20, 2009

There are different types of stucco. One is calle 'artificial stucco' that has had problems with leaking and mold. Most good stucco homes seem to be fine when inspected and appraised. You will need a building specialist to give you a report on the viability of a particular home. i would not rule them out.

Robert McGuire ASR
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
A good inspector can advise you accordingly.

There was a problem with what some call 'artificial stucco' not draining correctly and causing mold and damage. I have had different accounts as to what that means. But it is not an automatic deal breaker. A good inspector can tell you if it is installed correctly, what kind of stucco it is and if there is now or looks like there might be problems with it down the road. In this tight market with low inventory, I would not be too quick to eliminate homes because of what others say. check with the experts and get all of the research you need to make a wise decision.

Robert McGuire ASR
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
Stucco is beautiful and it adds value.

As with any purchase, you want to be sure you're getting value for your money. As others have suggested, have a qualified inspector look at the stucco. Synthetic stucco has the bad reputation, but even the synthetic is manageable - if you don't mind the hassle of having the stuff periodically inspected. My take: You should visually inspect your home constantly for cracking and any problems that can develop over time. Regular inspections and maintenance can save you thousands of dollars.

Stucco has been in use a long, long time. The third link below provides a history and notes the problem that is particular to synthetic stucco. The other links are worth visiting, too.

If you're new to stucco, there is plenty of information out there. Stucco is an attractive alternative, and it is more expensive than other exteriors. Just make sure you know which stucco you are getting and be watchful for problems - as you would any other exterior material.

of Longmont, CO
Look at All homes and like the other answers said get a good inspection. There are not too many stucco places out there.
The type of stucco that has a bad reputation is EIFS. It isn't a true stucco but more of a skin that is applied to a frame construction building. True stucco if appled properly has not been known to create too much trouble; however, this is a question best answered by a licensed inspector. If oyu are working with a realtor ask your realtor to give you soem referrals to inspectors that they work with so that you can call them and get a more definitive answer. If you are not working with a realtor give me a shout and I will provide you with soem inspector referrals wha you can contact.
Best of Luck in your search for a new home!

Stucco is not all bad, you should not eliminate looking at all stucco homes, however if it is done poorly then it can cause issues down the road. I am currently selling a Buyer a Stucco home in Denver Country Club and it was built in 1910. The exterior of the home is in Great Shape, there are some minor areas that need to be fixed but nothing to major. I am not a stucco expert but I have been told that if you can fit a nickle inside a crack on stucco it needs to be fixed but smaller than that crack can be dealt with. You can also have Stucco fixed by many different companys around town. It is just another form of siding and if you find a Stucco home that you like, dont let the stucco hold you back unless you find a major issue with it. I hope this Helps!

Mark Kinslow II
Coldwell Banker
You are probably referring to EFS which has had issues. There is stucco which is fine. A thorough search on EFS and how to identify would be a good idea if you like the look of stucco. Of course, get an inspection by someone familiar with the difference for added safety.

Happy hunting.
Alan Strange

You are correct in questioning any form of exterior based on outdoor weather conditions. Each location has it issues from, humidity and moisture to scorching sun and extreme cold.

One of the factors we see with stucco is its difficulty to maintain. It is not a surface that lends itself to painting easily and is probably best spray painted....which is another challenge.