xraider_01, Home Buyer in 12144

Stick with Agent or find a new one?

Asked by xraider_01, 12144 Tue Aug 28, 2012

I have used the same real estate agent for 2 purchases now(one rental, one home). I liked her very much and so did my wife. I have been discussing selling the rental for a few years now with the agent(off and on). She has always been open to working with me. This year, I was getting ready to sell and the agent said she'd run some comps. After 3 weeks, and 3 emails, I wrote her a polite note, saying if she didn't have time I understood, I just wanted an update. She finally replied saying she 'had something going on' and she would have her friend help(i still haven't heard from her friend) I went with another agent on that listing. Now it's coming time for my wife and I to upgrade our home, and we are torn between trying to find someone new or using the same agent. On one hand I'm mad she didn't get back to me for 3 weeks(I'm ok with her being busy or unable to help, but the wait was a pain.) on the other she was very good for 2 transactions. Should I try to find someone new? or should I

Answers

11
This comes up a lot. Great question! Sometimes, things happen in life. Realtors work with many different clients and try their best every day to provide excellent customer service, but they are people too and often face personal events that prevent them from doing their job (temporarily of course). There is no excuse that you were not taken care of for 3 weeks time,however did you let him/her know that this upset you? Common knowledge says that this Realtor should have known that you were upset, but if they forgot about you and their friend never reached out to you that should at least be expressed to him/her so that they don't entrust in that person to assist another client down the road. I would call them and let them know that it really upset you and see what they have to say. You will know if it is time to move on or not and this way, you will feel better knowing you tried your best to resolve an issue with someone who truly helped you in the past and can gain clarification as to what went on before. Best of luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 22, 2013
Have another discussion with the agent, if the chat proves unsatisfactory consider another agent...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
Forgot to mention...get a new realtor. There are plenty of realtors out there who are attentive. This is important step you're taking, it should be important to someone who expects 6% out of you.
Having the same problem with my realtor who's listed my house. She's been poor about getting back to me.
I think I would at least call and ask her to explain why you were being ignored. It is always more enlightening to step into someone else's shoes for a moment.

I do believe you deserved an explanation then, but everyone operates differently and it is good to give her the benefit of the doubt.

If you are still not satisfied, time to move on.

Real Estate is about customer service/customer satisfaction. As Realtors, we have to learn to put our personal lives on hold; buying, selling and renting are very big commitments and it is important to know you have someone watching your back.

Gail Gladstone
631-425-6150
gail@GladstoneGroupRealty.com
As a consumer you should be very wary when someone tells you they will call you back and three weeks goes by. But then to say that her friend will be in touch and then does not call. Hmmm! I would say that in this market with it being much better than we have seen in 4 years, time is of the essence. If you want to sell your existing home get on it now before you lose the fall market. Remember when November arrives people slow way down on looking for a home until the spring, so it's best to start interviewing other agents. There are many good agents out there and many who would jump at the chance to help!
If you value her services then it might be worth giving her another chance. The fact that you are asking the question leads me to believe that you would like to work with her again. Why not meet with her and hear what she has to say. Good luck.
Have you ever had something come up?
Maybe something really personal, that you didn't want to discuss with a stranger?
Maybe a sickness or death in the family?
Use your imagination.

Now, don't you think that she deserves the benefit of the doubt?

Good luck and may God bless
I'd love to go to work for you if need be! http://www.mycapitalregionrealtor.com. Adam: 518-810-2324. Call, text or email anytime!
There are plenty of good agents out there who can be attentive to you. If she's too busy to communicate with a good client, it's time for a new agent. Just my opinion, but I won't deal with anyone that doesn't value my time equal to their own. Good luck.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, GREEN, BPOR
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
"We treat you like family!"
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 104
Plainview, New York 11803
The criteria you should consider is whether she has been able to deliver better results than other agents you've worked with. If so, that may very well explain why she's been in demand and you may want to work with her anyways. Of course, if she can't commit the time to your deal, then you'll just have to take your chances with another agent.
Web Reference: http://www.archershomes.com