Home Buying in Minneapolis>Question Details

huynh076, Home Buyer in Columbia Heights, MN

Square Footage Listed

Asked by huynh076, Columbia Heights, MN Thu Jun 13, 2013

Does the total square footage and the dimension of each rooms include walls or closet if it's a bedroom?

I toured some house and thought the size of some of the rooms are pretty good size and now I'm building and wanted to have the same dimensions for some of the rooms. The architect came back using those dimension with walls and closets included. I'm not sure if it's going to turn out how I wanted.

Also, the house I toured is a new constructed home by Donnay Homes. I'm not sure if anyone had experience with their measurements.

Hi, huynh076!

Usually, when an agent measures a room, we are measuring the room ONLY, not including the closet. Sometimes, we see that agents exaggerate the measurements which is why our MLS has a disclaimer that says, "Information deemed reliable, but not guaranteed".

So, it seems like your architect might need to adjust the way they are configuring your rooms. Perhaps architects are thinking more about the structures and we're thinking about livable space. Two different approaches, I guess.......

Square footage shouldn't be difficult. Room Dimensions shouldn't be difficult. In fact, there is actually a national standard as to how to measure square footage. This is called the ANSI Z765-1996. But most Realtors won't know this, neither will builders, or appraisers. Some architects and assessors may know this standard exists.

According to the standard, the main floor sqft includes everything upto and including the outside walls. I.e. the main floor sqft is everything inside, including closets, bathrooms, and the interior space of each wall.

Web Reference: http://www.stevenhong.com
Yes they typically do include closet space for room dimensions. From my experience.

Would you like a buyer agent to help you negotiate with the builder?

Most builders include a 6% commission when they list a home... So why not have an agent on your side for free?

Cody Anderson, MN Licensed Realtor

Metropolitan Home Team

Phone: 612-242-5752

Email: cody@metropolitanhometeam.com
Ask your salesperson how they calculate the walls, closets, etc. When we measure interior space, we usually go from wall to wall without adding or deducting for the inside portions of the walls. That is why there may be discrepancies in the exterior foundation size and the interior finished sq ft. Donnay Is a good and reliable builder. They will gladly help you understand how this applies to your new home. Enjoy the experience. Liz, 512-986-4105
Let your tape measure be your guide when it comes to room sizes. There's no "standards" when it comes to measuring and many people do it "their way". It wouldn't surprise me if two Realtors, two architects, and two appraisers all measured the same home and all got different results. If you measure things, you'll likely do it the same way all the time. If so, then you have a basis for comparison.
I would recommend you talk directly with the builder representative about the way they measure. Then you can get an Idea from the home you toured as to whether or not the room sizes will be adequate.