Linda, Home Buyer in 95112

Spyglass Hills complex at Communication Hill, Cahill Park complex at SJ downtown, or the complex built by Plute Homes at De Altura cmns by SCU?

Asked by Linda, 95112 Thu Apr 12, 2012

Which one of these is best for rental investment and has the best resale value in 5 - 10 years? Thank you in advance for your help!

Answers

5
Stu Carson’s answer
Wow! That's a great question! Let me put on my Economics hat, my Marketing hat, and my Real Estate hat... oh and add a sorcerers hat to help foretell the future! Communications Hill area may have the issue of the High Speed Rail impact depending upon where the unit is located and some folks have issues with all the signals bouncing around in the air up there (whether the issue is real or not, I'm just saying, some Buyers do), any investment in downtown S.J.'s future will be largely determined by the health of downtown San Jose and you've got folks that would bet on both sides of that... in terms of the impact of Universities on housing, both Cahill Park and De Altura Commons have that going for them and others could argue AGAINST them, as the impact can be both positive on future values and negative. The central issues are BOTH longer term appreciation AND also the PROFIT generated year by year which will be impacted by both initial purchase price and which area is more likely to support higher rents AND less vacancy. Vacancy could in fact be the central issue. Lots to talk about with a wise Realtor. Buy you a cup of coffee?
Stu
Stu@StuCarson.com
408-209-0849
Linda,
I agree with Terri, the Plute homes being near SCU would most likely hold or increase in value plus it would be a bit easier to rent. How much increase in resale? no one knows there are to many things that could happen in the economy for any of us to say with certainty what will happen.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
Certified Distressed Property Expert
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
Even though you are buying for rental, I would buy the one that YOU would want to live in if you had to. I always think long term and backup plan and flexibility. Some day you might find yourself in a situation where you need to live in one of your rentals as your primary home (e.g. perhaps for tax reasons before selling). Also, you will have to visit your rental to take care of things (e.g. show prospective tenants, do maintenance, etc.)
Spyglass Hills Complex by far will do better as it is a bedroom community.

As long as Silicon Valley remains a hub for Tech, there will be renters.

Around SCU and SCU the rents tend to be low, as one is expecting Students to pay via student loans or from, parents sending their kids to a private school such as SCU.

But maybe these 2 homes may work for you:

http://animoto.com/play/YmV02e2j40DELvfZBNW7kg

and http://animoto.com/play/bL0ewJJoKKiGvaqjsWnpSw

Perry
When ever you purchase something near a university the demand for rental leans in that direction. I'd love to pull out my crystal ball and predict the market for 5 to 10 years. Since that isn't possible we can only look at what is here and now. Stability of what surrounds the community is very important. Along with availability of transportation. Light rail is available near by and so are freeways. But being nearer to the University, Hospitals, Recreation, and jobs I would have to say Pulte at Altura would be where more buyers and renters would want to live.
Web Reference: http://www.TerriVellios.com